5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Did you return your A139 for a replacement? If so, how was the customer service, and what are your thoughts on the A139 a few months later?

Did you ever find a resolution to the heat issue, or are you just not using parking mode in the summer?
They did replace it. The new one works fine, but I'm no longer using parking mode.

Now there is a 4K version I'm looking to upgrade the picture on the front cam. It looks like it's overall the same housing and secondary cameras, so I may just get the single-cam model and plug everything in for the 3cam system.

script

Reaction score
If you want ease of use, dash cams with a led display are much easier to configure, unless you can connect with an app through your phone. Being able to see the menu option in the display makes set up a breeze. I have the VIOFO 119. You can take the GPS module off if you don't want that's or just turn off the onscreen overlay of GPS data. But it's good to have that in he case of an accident when you need video evidence to defend yourself
My adversity to a display is just that it makes the front camera larger. I'd think it shouldn't be difficult to connect with an app through my phone to setup, configure, download files, etc. but reading reviews for the apps makes me worry a little. When I can't get the app to connect I'm probably going to wish I would have got one with a display.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My adversity to a display is just that it makes the front camera larger. I'd think it shouldn't be difficult to connect with an app through my phone to setup, configure, download files, etc. but reading reviews for the apps makes me worry a little. When I can't get the app to connect I'm probably going to wish I would have got one with a display.
I can tell you that the Blackvue app is a fantastic app. It was fully overhauled a year ago and is second to none. Easy to use and zero bugs.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about the Blackvue is the recording segments are limited to only one minute. Would much prefer three or five minute segments.

Jeremy47

Reaction score
Hey All,

After reading this thread more than a couple times to learn about dashcams and what/how you guys have gone about the process...plus several messages to @securityguy (many thanks to you!)...I finally received and got my dual-channel Thinkware U1000+Radar Module installed.

Although the form factor of the Blackvue DR750X sold me...I ended up going with Thinkware because of the Energy Saving mode you get with Radar which allows me to park for a week or more when running off a dedicated iVolt Battery Pack....since I do very low mileage. Hid the battery pack at the bottom of my center console and all wiring running along the headliner and secured behind airbags. Took me about 5 hours.

Bought everything from TheDashcamStore. Great outfit...very quick to answer questions, plus I bought their Custom Folded Bracket..which I then folded some more and clipped it over top of the sliding rear window frame to get it centered.

Anyway just thought I'd post some pics....thanks again for the helpful suggestions @securityguy...very pleased with the end result!

Does your rear camera bounce a lot with that bracket? Or is it pretty steady?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n7qpp

Reaction score
I just purchased a BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus. My truck is '22 1500 with the digital rear-view mirror.
  1. Will a Bendmount mount fit.? I checked their site hard to tell?
  2. Is there an adapter available to use power from the mirror?
Joe

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just purchased a BlackVue DR750X-2CH Plus. My truck is '22 1500 with the digital rear-view mirror.
  1. Will a Bendmount mount fit.? I checked their site hard to tell?
  2. Is there an adapter available to use power from the mirror?
Joe
OK...two things:

1. yes, a blend mount will fit. I had my radar detector attached to both my 2019 and 2021
2. you do NOT want to get power from your mirror. You will lose all parking mode capabilities and the 750X has power management circuitry built in to protect your battery

I've been installing these, and other electronics, for years and have helped several on this forum with their installations. In addition, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night;)

Last edited:

n7qpp

Reaction score
OK...two things:

1. yes, a blend mount will fit. I had my radar detector attached to both my 2019 and 2021
2. you do NOT want to get power from your mirror. You will lose all parking mode capabilities and the 750X has power management circuitry built in to protect your battery

I've been installing these, and other electronics, for years and have help several on this forum with their installations. In addition, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night;)
what is your suggested point to pickup the power from?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I’m looking at getting a 2ch front/rear dash cam and wanted to ask more experienced folks what the best was.
I’m looking for a minimalist design (small/don’t need a screen on the camera). My current front runner is the Blackvue but $$$$$. Is that really the best and you get what you pay for or am I paying for name brand and there’s equivalent/better for cheaper?
Check out Fitcamx a lot of 5th gen owners love them

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

what is your suggested point to pickup the power from?
SUPER EASY to get power off of F66 in the fuse panel with a simple fuse tap. The fuse panel is under the steering column. Just remove two 7mm screws and the knee plate pops right off for easy access. To run across the headliner and down the A-Pillar to the fuse panel will take you 10 minutes. The A-Pillar comes right off after removing 2-10mm bolts. The RAM is one of the easiest trucks to work on and get power to accessories. Fuse taps are readily available on Amazon. I believe I have pics posted on this forum somewhere, but happy to chat via phone and easily walk you through it. PM me if you want my help.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
He already bought a Blackvue which is a far superior product.
That's debatable. I checked out videos from a Fitcamx user on this forum, and pictures on Blackvue's website, and a youtube video review of Blackvue. The Fitcamx has a better picture, and it's plug and play, swapping the cover behind the mirror. And cheaper.

n8zcc

Reaction score
That's debatable. I checked out videos from a Fitcamx user on this forum, and pictures on Blackvue's website, and a youtube video review of Blackvue. The Fitcamx has a better picture, and it's plug and play, swapping the cover behind the mirror. And cheaper.
The difference is the Fitcamx may turn out to be better but it is going to take time to see how well they work, how long they work, and whether they will go out to lunch in the hot sunny weather of the south or cold zero degree temperature days in the north.

The Blackvue has been around for some time allowing it to establish an excellent reputation. The Fitcamx will need to earn its way too.

Checking out videos from various Internet sources and using your video processing and monitor is difficult. What looks better to one person will not to another. It is best to establish the goal of the dash cam, which would be, for me, capturing the license plate at night, daytime, and when in direct sunlight. Also, eliminating the windshield reflections is a big positive to video clarity, something only the Blackvue does with its optional polarized filter.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The difference is the Fitcamx may turn out to be better but it is going to take time to see how well they work, how long they work, and whether they will go out to lunch in the hot sunny weather of the south or cold zero degree temperature days in the north.

The Blackvue has been around for some time allowing it to establish an excellent reputation. The Fitcamx will need to earn its way too.

Checking out videos from various Internet sources and using your video processing and monitor is difficult. What looks better to one person will not to another. It is best to establish the goal of the dash cam, which would be, for me, capturing the license plate at night, daytime, and when in direct sunlight. Also, eliminating the windshield reflections is a big positive to video clarity, something only the Blackvue does with its optional polarized filter.
I looked at the pictures on the blackvue site. If anything, they enhance those. I saw real videos of both. The Fitcamx has better picture day and night. It is possible the person who installed the blackvue didn't have optimum location of his camera, but the Fitcamx has set location, plug and play with factory wiring, snaps right in.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I looked at the pictures on the blackvue site. If anything, they enhance those. I saw real videos of both. The Fitcamx has better picture day and night. It is possible the person who installed the blackvue didn't have optimum location of his camera, but the Fitcamx has set location, plug and play with factory wiring, snaps right in.
Buy what you think is best. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I have my own insights on quality and performance. Your money...your truck ;) For me, it will always be a Blackvue.

n7qpp

Reaction score
Are the fuse box mounts bolts good for a ground? what is the bolt size/diameter?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are the fuse box mounts bolts good for a ground? what is the bolt size/diameter?
When you remove the plastic knee plate under the steering column, there is a sheet metal screw right at the top upper left (behind the knee plate) attached the metal frame of the dashboard that provides an awesome ground and its right adjacent to the fuse panel for easy access to all connections.

Users who are viewing this thread