5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I’m looking at getting a 2ch front/rear dash cam and wanted to ask more experienced folks what the best was.
I’m looking for a minimalist design (small/don’t need a screen on the camera). My current front runner is the Blackvue but $$$$$. Is that really the best and you get what you pay for or am I paying for name brand and there’s equivalent/better for cheaper?

milchuck

Reaction score
There's several good hands-on dash cam comparison videos on YouTube that cover capabilities, pricing, etc.

roca916

Reaction score
After some research, I decided to purchase the Viofo Plus Duo from Amazon. There is a Pro version that offers "4K" resolution, but in watching YouTube comparison videos, it didn't really wow me enough to spend the extra $. I plan to install the Viofo later today with the hardwire kit.

The BlackVue (900?) is another popular dashcam, but does cost a bit more. If money wasn't an issue, I would have gone with the BlackVue due to its small profile and clear video.

dbark

Reaction score
I've been looking too and I think i've landed on the Blackvue 900, yes it's a little more than some but I figured I'll spend a few more dollars now for the 4K since I expect to have it for some time. The only thing that turned me off about the viofo was the big screen on the front camera, i'd like it to be a little more discreet. I'll probably do it soon.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey all. I’m looking at getting a 2ch front/rear dash cam and wanted to ask more experienced folks what the best was.
I’m looking for a minimalist design (small/don’t need a screen on the camera). My current front runner is the Blackvue but $$$$$. Is that really the best and you get what you pay for or am I paying for name brand and there’s equivalent/better for cheaper?
Trust a guy who knows a TON about Dash cams and has been installing them forever. You want the Blackvue DR750X-Plus 2CH set-up. The DR-900 is a great 4K camera, but it doesn't perform much better than the 750X which has a better SONY image sensor and will save you some cash. If you don't want to spend the money on the Blackvue, your next best option is the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

Last edited:

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trust a guy who knows a TON about Dash cams and has been installing them forever. You want the Blackvue DR750X-Plus 2CH set-up. The DR-900 is a great 4K camera, but it doesn't perform much better than the 750X which has a better SONY image sensor and will save you some cash. If you don't want to spend the money on the Blackvue, your next best option is the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

Thank you! I was deciding between blackvue (hadn’t yet decided on 590/750+/900) and the Thinkware U1000. I don’t want a screen because I want to keep a minimal/hidden profile.
But that link cleared up a lot of my questions on blackvue because I also didn’t want an LTE subscription.

Seems like the 32gb would be enough even for parking mode unless I’m planning on leaving it out for more than 2-3 days, would you agree?

I was also wondering, does plugging it in to the spare fuse port for parking recording void the truck warranty as “modifying the electrical”?

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! I was deciding between blackvue (hadn’t yet decided on 590/750+/900) and the Thinkware U1000. I don’t want a screen because I want to keep a minimal/hidden profile.
But that link cleared up a lot of my questions on blackvue because I also didn’t want an LTE subscription.

Seems like the 32gb would be enough even for parking mode unless I’m planning on leaving it out for more than 2-3 days, would you agree?

I was also wondering, does plugging it in to the spare fuse port for parking recording void the truck warranty as “modifying the electrical”?
I use this in my DR750X ...much more cost efficient than the cards from Blackvue (must be formatted on your PC first with the Blackvue Software):

As for the warranty I wouldn't think so but some dealers could be dicks about it I suppose. @securityguy might have a better answer.

Reactions: c3k

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is actually a better card for the Dash Cams and the one I have recommended several times on this and other forums and, trust me, you will want 256GB (they are super cheap now):

As far as warranty, the only time you need to be concerned about warranty is when folks CUT into wiring to make splices. Using a fuse tap is the best way to go and can be easily removed and put back to stock if an electrical issue occurs that needs to be troubleshot. I, personally, have never heard of an issue where using a fuse tap to power LOW POWER devices like dash cams and radar detectors (devices requiring <1-2A of power) created any warranty issues.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know which fuse tap type to select? Or how to tell which is right for a specific truck/trim/package?
This is actually a better card for the Dash Cams and the one I have recommended several times on this and other forums and, trust me, you will want 256GB (they are super cheap now):

As far as warranty, the only time you need to be concerned about warranty is when folks CUT into wiring to make splices. Using a fuse tap is the best way to go and can be easily removed and put back to stock if an electrical issue occurs that needs to be troubleshot. I, personally, have never heard of an issue where using a fuse tap to power LOW POWER devices like dash cams and radar detectors (devices requiring <1-2A of power) created any warranty issues.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know which fuse tap type to select? Or how to tell which is right for a specific truck/trim/package?
Most people use F33 and F66 in the fusebox under the steering wheel (I can't remember which one is ACC and always on though...plenty of posts on the forum). Get some micro2 fuse taps and you should be good to go.

My biggest piece of advice no matter what camera you go with is make sure you don't cross over your side curtain airbags when running your wires.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most people use F33 and F66 in the fusebox under the steering wheel (I can't remember which one is ACC and always on though...plenty of posts on the forum). Get some micro2 fuse taps and you should be good to go.

My biggest piece of advice no matter what camera you go with is make sure you don't cross over your side curtain airbags when running your wires.
I believe F66 is IGNITION and F33 is constant 12V Battery.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just to be "that guy"...

I will probably get gang beat for bringing this brand up, and they are definitely not cheap, but I've always had very good luck with Thinkware dash cameras. They are known to be a bit picky with SD cards, but I know for 100% fact that they can take the same Samsung EVO/EVO Select brand SD cards mentioned above (I use them myself) without paying the ridiculous price for Thinkware branded cards.

I have their 2K cameras on both my truck and my wife's Jeep, with the rear cameras as well. Have not upgraded to their 4K cameras yet.

Very pleased so far. They do go on sale every 3rd month or so, so wait for the sales. I've installed around half a dozen of them so far, never a single problem other than ones caused by my own hand.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just to be "that guy"...

I will probably get gang beat for bringing this brand up, and they are definitely not cheap, but I've always had very good luck with Thinkware dash cameras. They are known to be a bit picky with SD cards, but I know for 100% fact that they can take the same Samsung EVO/EVO Select brand SD cards mentioned above (I use them myself) without paying the ridiculous price for Thinkware branded cards.

I have their 2K cameras on both my truck and my wife's Jeep, with the rear cameras as well. Have not upgraded to their 4K cameras yet.

Very pleased so far. They do go on sale every 3rd month or so, so wait for the sales. I've installed around half a dozen of them so far, never a single problem other than ones caused by my own hand.
That is a good choice my friend. Thinkware is right up there with Blackvue and an excellent camera. I would rank Blackvue #1 and Thinkware #2. You really won't go wrong with either as it boils down to footprint (size), features, and mounting options.

sd2134

Reaction score
Just to be "that guy"...

Yes, Thinkware is the best, using Samsung EVO SD card. the video is of a very high quality, even at night. The most popular brand at my work location (radio and network focused work force).

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, Thinkware is the best, using Samsung EVO SD card. the video is of a very high quality, even at night. The most popular brand at my work location (radio and network focused work force).

Apples and Oranges! The 750S is an outdated camera. the newest version, the 750X-Plus cannot be beat. Uses the latest SONY Starvis Sensor and 60fps. Thinkware is good, the new DR750X-Plus is better.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to order the BlackVue DR750X-2CH along with an SD card, fuse taps and maybe a bracket to center the rear camera on the slider. Is there anything else i need to add? Thanks!

BlackVue DR750-X

Fuse Taps

SD Card
Bracket
Let me know how that bracket works and where you put it exactly.
If you order from the Blackvue website the fuse taps are only $7.99

Users who are viewing this thread