5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are the fuse box mounts bolts good for a ground? what is the bolt size/diameter?
No, but there are actual body ground points near the fuse panel behind the driver's side kick panel.

n7qpp

Reaction score

This questions goes beyond dash cams but with the wealth of knowledge you never know. In addition to the Dash Cam install I will also be installing the following HAM radio VGC VR-N7500 50W Dual Band Mobile Radio With APP Programming

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this mount - Trunk Lip Mount with NMO Connector:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0842BB2R...olid=1WDSZCJV4IKPJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I was going to attach it to the back lip of the hood on the far passenger side.

n7qpp

Reaction score
I am not a dash cam expert. However as we all know RAMs are extremely sensitive to battery voltage. The 750 has a built-in "battery saver" circuit as well WIFI, GPS.

I will say that having a dash cam on my prior car help the police see who was really at fault. This was a Kenwood Dash Cam connected to a Kenwood head unit.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a Cobra SC-400D a year or so ago and am just now getting around to installing the rear camera. I successfully routed the wire along the headliner edge and upper door trim. Then I wasn't sure where to mount it. The mounting piece was big enough to go across two of the rear window defroster wires and I didn't want to cover those at all. In the end, I mounted it to the driver's side of the rear sliding window frame. I know the camera will move over if I open the window, but I almost never open it while driving and usually forget it's even back there.

I'm now just curious where other people chose to mount their rear camera?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a Cobra SC-400D a year or so ago and am just now getting around to installing the rear camera. I successfully routed the wire along the headliner edge and upper door trim. Then I wasn't sure where to mount it. The mounting piece was big enough to go across two of the rear window defroster wires and I didn't want to cover those at all. In the end, I mounted it to the driver's side of the rear sliding window frame. I know the camera will move over if I open the window, but I almost never open it while driving and usually forget it's even back there.

I mounted it (Blackvue 750x....shoutout to @securityguy for his recommendation and the phone conversation!)...on the fixed rear glass as close to the slider as I could get it. Up near the top of the glass. That way I can open and close the slider with no issues. The view is ever so slightly off-center, but the wide-angle lens gives me all the view I want.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mounted it (Blackvue 750x....shoutout to @securityguy for his recommendation and the phone conversation!)...on the fixed rear glass as close to the slider as I could get it. Up near the top of the glass. That way I can open and close the slider with no issues. The view is ever so slightly off-center, but the wide-angle lens gives me all the view I want.
So on the left side of the sliding window--so it wouldn't hit when the window opens? That makes sense. I guess I could have gone that route. Did yours cover any of the defrost wires?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My FitcamX rear camera

Attachments

• PXL_20230611_232943365.jpg
    PXL_20230611_232943365.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 56

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So on the left side of the sliding window--so it wouldn't hit when the window opens? That makes sense. I guess I could have gone that route. Did yours cover any of the defrost wires?
Not that I recall. Currently away from the truck on a trip.

If it does, I'll post back here with pix.

Larrymul

Reaction score
Buy what you think is best. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I have my own insights on quality and performance. Your money...your truck ;) For me, it will always be a Blackvue.
Security guy (Larry?) I’m pretty set
On buying a Blackvue dual cam for my ‘22 Limited but confused about which model. Specifically between the DX750-2CH Plus and DX900-2CH Plus. What’s the difference and which do you recommend? I see a 900 on Amazon for $304, not sure if it’s new or reman. Thanks, LarryM

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Security guy (Larry?) I’m pretty set
On buying a Blackvue dual cam for my ‘22 Limited but confused about which model. Specifically between the DX750-2CH Plus and DX900-2CH Plus. What’s the difference and which do you recommend? I see a 900 on Amazon for $304, not sure if it’s new or reman. Thanks, LarryM
Blackvue may have different models, with different quality, but when I went to their site, THEIR VIDEO had pretty poor quality compared to videos I saw from Fitcamx users. That, and the fact you have wires dangling, with a Blackvue, where Fitcamx you don't see at all. I bought Fitcamx.

Larrymul

Reaction score
Blackvue may have different models, with different quality, but when I went to their site, THEIR VIDEO had pretty poor quality compared to videos I saw from Fitcamx users. That, and the fact you have wires dangling, with a Blackvue, where Fitcamx you don't see at all. I bought Fitcamx.
I've looked at Fitcamx, have you downloaded to your phone yet, iOS or Android and how was connectivity? is the 128G max SD card enough memory? Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at Fitcam but don't see a dual rear cam model, just dual front and inside. Up here in winter stop light rear-enders are a reality. What is the difference in Fitcamx "A" and "B" I see on their site, the truck mirror mout? Thanks for the input.
The dual camera FitcamX model is front and rear. The rear camera you mount to your rear window looking out. Sure, you could use it to view inside as well, if you turn it that way, but why?

BowDown

Reaction score
I've looked at Fitcamx, have you downloaded to your phone yet, iOS or Android and how was connectivity? is the 128G max SD card enough memory? Thanks for the input.

connectivity is fine using the fitcamx app. I bought a 512 GB card but the camera only sees 256Gb however it works fine

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
I chose the FitCamX as it's a great idea and integrates nicely with no external wires and looks factory. During my first oil change no one noticed it was there. Video quality is pretty good and you can view on your phone and download the footage. It's a bit slow to connect, but once connected it works fine to look at footage. It doesn't record when the power is off by default, but my home and work have cameras so it's not an issue for me and I prefer the clean install. You can always wire it to a live 12v source like the fuse panel with a kit.

I'm using a Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb card and I think I get about 14 (?) hours of recording which is more than enough if I need to go back and look at something within the last week or two. If an accident occurs, you simply download the footage to save on your phone and carry on, or pop out the card to download on your computer.

6of36

Reaction score
Thanks, is there a slot on the outside of the housing, or do you need to take it the housing apart to access the card?
Someone else will have to answer that. I bought mine when my last order that I didn't accept was being built, so I would have it when the truck arrived. The web site will probably answer that though.

Users who are viewing this thread