5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score

KRField

Reaction score
Here’s my input. I took out the carbon filter and put a K&n drop in on then took a round trip to Graysville Tn from Johnson City. Cruise was set at 70 and here is my evic mpg. My actual was .2 mpg less.
631e1ec2f2b63a8ed96a8d6bdb50b2c6.jpg

I was averaging 19.5-20 before air box mods. That is with a borla muffler swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRField

Reaction score
Interesting

My evic actually was at 24 or 25 till I got off 75 and drove through back country. I was blown away. I did the mods Thursday night. Filled up white Shell mid grade (all I use) before I did the trip and cleared the evic to test. I don’t see how a cai will give more for the $$$ compared to it. I was really surprised, especially since the K&n was for the cost savings of a reusable filter. Didn’t expect much if an gains.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A great exhaust note and allowing the engine to breathe easier for better performance. Replacing the muffler with a straight through design will make a huge difference in this department and I then need to decide if the AFE Stage 2 is the way to go or just buy the AFE drop in filter for less than 1/3 the cost. I don't see the factory plenum going from the airbox to the throttle body being restrictive at all. I am willing to spend the money and not nickel and dime this but to spend money and not get any real benefit makes no sense to me so trying to figure this out BEFORE I make the investment and then wish I'd gone a different path. Open to any and all thoughts on the topic.

Great question on the AFE items. Which way did you end up going? How has it been. a cold air filter has not made my list of mods.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Great question on the AFE items. Which way did you end up going? How has it been. a cold air filter has not made my list of mods.

I bought the AEM dry filter from AEM direct for around $40 and I am very happy with the results.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this air filter on Amazon is better than what's stock? Or is it just a good replacement. Wouldn't mind trying out a new, inexpensive replacement before going $200-300 for the full CAI system like B&S of aFe. I don't need the huge Hemi growl, just want it to run clean and nice, and not stave Ram-Bo!
It gives it a better sounds and is a good improvement over the stock air filter.

Ram572

Reaction score
Here’s my input. I took out the carbon filter and put a K&n drop in on then took a round trip to Graysville Tn from Johnson City. Cruise was set at 70 and here is my evic mpg. My actual was .2 mpg less.
631e1ec2f2b63a8ed96a8d6bdb50b2c6.jpg

I was averaging 19.5-20 before air box mods. That is with a borla muffler swap.

Very impressive. What gears do you have?

cobrar97

Reaction score
Ok...I'm confused as heck on these. Some of the options

S&B - $299
Airaid - $450
Airaid JR - $200
AFE Pro - $350
AFE Momentum - $450
Vararam - $350
And tons of drop-in filters.

With huge price differences, which is really doing any good? And first glance, the S&B appears to be the best value by far. The drop-in filter is the lowest cost though.
Where is the benefit coming into play...a better filter, better flowing tubes, or a better cool-air delivery? Can anything further explain which "system" is overall the better design, and furthermore, which brand (if any) is doing it best?
I was going to look closer at the S&B just due to the "value" of it.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I guess I’ll try this out..... So the main point to any of these options is more efficient inlet stream to engine and colder air being ingested into engine. Also note: that these descriptions are from my detailed eyes of pictures and manufacture product specs and info from emails.

—on a all stock truck daily driver. Your best “value” or bang for buck will be pull carbon filter and high flow filter. Multiple different layer filter media depending on maker.
This I have done, performance maybe something, sound- def more growl, I have gotten average of 1.5mpg better on my regular drives though week. Mds(eco) seems to trigger way more even on highway speeds. That’s my take
—s&b solid set up. Taking factory design and making it way better. Not a bad price for all you are getting. 8 layered filter medIa. Connects to stock cold air feed inlet. With a large plug to remove for cooler ambient air temps and/or higher flow needed(racing). Still waiting on actual flow numbers from them. My take- was going to purchase a intake this would be it, for my use and later mods to be done with benefits.

—airaid solid set up. Doing the same as s&b but at a smaller level. As being box to filter ratio and looks to be smaller. The inlet at box to factory cool air inlet looks to be smaller then s&bs. My take- solid but no way for the price. Will note, atleast their dyno numbers are some what normal to gains that could accure.

—airaid jr is a great idea. Remove your main restrictions and add smooth flow in and out of air box at a lower cost without replacing everything. Air inlet system is still fully sealed. Filter media is 5 layer as been told. My take- great idea, kills out the few flow issues in hemi intake. It’s def something I would buy but not for the price of them. If you look at the dyno numbers this set up is not much lower then the way more expensive one. Food for thought. Also it’s at k&n dyno facilities. Lol yes they are owned buy them. Also note: jr kit was 3rd gear pull as full kit was 4th gear pull.

—-afe stg 2 good set up. Enlarged inlet tube, huge filter. Bolts on to stock lower box for cold air feed. Upper intake box section is to seal on hood of truck. Huge hp/trq gains from their dyno on this set up. 5 layer filter media. My take- I feel it’s a great plan that didn’t get finished. Keep the tube and filter, seal the top to factory lower box. Make it a 50-100$ Less then cost now. Couldn’t keep them on shelf. I would buy it no thoughts after. But in no way you are ever going to see those gains that they as they say on a all stock truck. I’m sorry not going to happen. Gains I’m sure, as some here have said with a great growl also! This system is also not sealed. Hood may seal some or most but there is a section in the top lid that will be open to engine bay temps at all times. 50+ torque come on. Factory intake is not that restrictive with no other mods to support it. Not happening.

—afe momentum solid set up. Enlarged intake tube, good size filter. Connection to factory cold air inlet. It is a sealed system. Lower gains on afes dyno compared to stg 2. 5 layers of filter media. My take- not bad set up, it’s a small box, smaller filter then stg2 but it’s sealed. For the price no way.

—vanaram solid set up. Old school mopar look and big circular intake. Shows to be very efficient and big number gains with it from a stock truck. People have made remarks of good gains and huge intake growl. Use green filters for their set up. Believe 5 media filter layers on green. My take- again huge gains, I’d like to see independent set up for all. I see a lot of heat soak, not sealed intake track. I , myself don’t see the benefit of what the system does for a 5th gen. 4th gen and earlier yes, all for it. Unless your a racer and modded. I’ll give a traveling highway peeps too. Then I would be good with this upgrade. I don’t think it’s sealed fully and feel the over lap of inlet air over radiator and ac evaporator heat is a issue .
Over all view is nothing is bad, some are over priced. Others are made for the racer then everyday driver. It’s all in the end of what your end game with the truck and how you want to spend our money. Hope this helps, atleast one person. Haha

cobrar97

Reaction score
Nails...great information on all the units that were listed. Very helpful. Sounds like the S&B is probably the best OVERALL value across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread