5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility rail installation

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this is posted again, confusing between Nm - ft/lbs - in/lbs (10.5Nm=7.5ft/lbs.=90in/lbs)

Last edited:

Sensei

Reaction score
I need to tie down 2 180lb scooters. I'm looking at adding these rails, so I can tie 1 handlebar to the corner bed loop, and the other handlebar to the opposite side rail. I have to do it this way because the scooters get in the way of trying to use the front lower loops.

The question is, are these cleats all plastic or steel re-inforced? 250 lbs doesn't sound like enough strength to ratchet down a scooter to. Thoughts?

Maconi

Reaction score
I need to tie down 2 180lb scooters. I'm looking at adding these rails, so I can tie 1 handlebar to the corner bed loop, and the other handlebar to the opposite side rail. I have to do it this way because the scooters get in the way of trying to use the front lower loops.

The question is, are these cleats all plastic or steel re-inforced? 250 lbs doesn't sound like enough strength to ratchet down a scooter to. Thoughts?

It's not just the load rating, but also the angle that you have to be careful about. Too steep of an angle and you might cause the rail to bend/warp (or rip out altogether). I generally try to use the built-in metal loops and just use the cleats for additional stabilization as needed (although they both supposedly have the same load rating).

yQDYQE1.png

owdVXEY.png

Sensei

Reaction score
Thanks. I decided against these rails. Instead, I installed L Track at the bottom front of the bed. This made strapping both scooters very easy as I could just tie their outside to the built-in D loops, and the center to an L track loop. Took all the way to Colorado from TX with no issues at all, and I ratcheted them down pretty tight.

IMG_6180.jpg
IMG_6182.jpg

jm192

Reaction score
Bump

I'm planning to buy a truck without the rails tomorrow, but want them. I also want a bed liner, which it doesn't come with. Does order matter?

Are the rails harder to install after the bedliner? Do you worry about when they spray the bedliner, the rails get coated?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bump

I'm planning to buy a truck without the rails tomorrow, but want them. I also want a bed liner, which it doesn't come with. Does order matter?

Are the rails harder to install after the bedliner? Do you worry about when they spray the bedliner, the rails get coated?
The rails are installed using hexagon shaped rivnuts. If the "bed liner" you are referring to is a sprayed in bed liner I would install the rivnuts first as the liner material will fill the hole perimeter and is somewhat difficult to remove particularly since the hole is hexagon shape. If it is a drop in liner the Dualliner is a 4 piece bed liner that is marked with holes for drilling where the rivnuts go for the bed of the truck

See from post #61 and further
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/utility-bed-rails-install.9674/page-4

See step #2, "Important Notes"

Last edited:

rzims

Reaction score
I did the lineX liner and didn't install the rivnuts beforehand. Now I have to try to clean out the holes so I can install the rivnuts. Have not attempted yet, wondering how hard its going to be scraping off the bedliner....

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to go ahead and say I effed up the torque on these rivnutts...most of them are completely lose

Anyone know of a solution to this?

Attachments

• A4157898-130E-4384-87BD-DD9F0C9EB2AD.jpeg
    A4157898-130E-4384-87BD-DD9F0C9EB2AD.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 103
  • 30AC9A32-1A93-426B-B226-B94994452ED5.jpeg
    30AC9A32-1A93-426B-B226-B94994452ED5.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 103

RJS

Reaction score
You might still be able to expand them more using this technique and save the day. Be sure to lubricate the threads, nut and washer assembly prior to turning them to tighten. It wouldn't hurt to use a couple of washer together, lubed to reduce friction either.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might still be able to expand them more using this technique and save the day. Be sure to lubricate the threads, nut and washer assembly prior to turning them to tighten. It wouldn't hurt to use a couple of washer together, lubed to reduce friction either.

I will give is a shot!

Those rivnuts were a mf’er getting the holes WITH lube. That should have been enough alone I guess. Shouldn’t have even tightened them. Lol

Nothing like some solid humble pie to start your Monday with lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJS

Reaction score
I will give is a shot!

Those rivnuts were a mf’er getting the holes WITH lube. That should have been enough alone I guess. Shouldn’t have even tightened them. Lol

Nothing like some solid humble pie to start your Monday with lol

Yup, same with mine, tight fit but it's light gauge sheet metal so not much resistance to rotational forces.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, same with mine, tight fit but it's light gauge sheet metal so not much resistance to rotational forces.

I said eff it and threw the rails on and tightened by hand. Nothing supper strong but it’s plenty sturdy. Had a helluva time just trying to get the screws to thread because Of the bed liner

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Boston

Reaction score
I said eff it and threw the rails on and tightened by hand. Nothing supper strong but it’s plenty sturdy. Had a helluva time just trying to get the screws to thread because Of the bed liner

Bigger rivnuts.

Users who are viewing this thread