5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility rail installation

Fatnipples

Reaction score
Your guys that have lit in the utility rails. The manual says to torque to 10.5 Nm (7.5 ft lbs) that math does translate. 10.5nm is like 90 ft lbs.
what’s the right torque to use?

B3C9B41B-DC31-4347-874A-B4A848AA71A1.png

Fatnipples

Reaction score

Fatnipples

Reaction score
Ok. So after eating $64 on a torque wrench that could go low enough (9nm) I overtigheted a few screws and they either stripped or popped inside.

I pulled on the rails pretty hard and they stay in

Is this going to affect the install at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SecretAznMan007

Reaction score
I need to get these utility rails for my truck. Unfortunately, they did not come with my truck.

How was the installation? I saw the diagrams and the "crush" nut makes me nervous. I have heard from other owners that the nut has stripped the bed material when they are trying to tighten it. Anyone have this issue or any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Boston

Reaction score
Ok. So after eating $64 on a torque wrench that could go low enough (9nm) I overtigheted a few screws and they either stripped or popped inside.

More importantly, will the pull out when you are using them and say get involved in an accident?
Wonder if a helicoil will solve your problem

Maconi

Reaction score

The rivnuts that come with the rail are terrible. Half of them either just spun (wouldn't crush) or crushed partially and popped back out of the hole. I ended up having to buy my own rivnuts and tool to mount the rail. In the end I still don't have confidence in it. I would rather have actual nuts/washers on the opposite side of the bolts but that requires removing body panels or what not.

RJS

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to have issues with the supplied rivnuts/nutserts if you put them in as the video shows. Just modify the procedure slightly by using a boxend wrench to hold the bolt and lube the threads and washers before using them.

SecretAznMan007

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to have issues with the supplied rivnuts/nutserts if you put them in as the video shows. Just modify the procedure slightly by using a boxend wrench to hold the bolt and lube the threads and washers before using them.

Thank you for the video. That makes sense. IS there anywhere you recommend getting these rails? Directly from the dealer, they quoted me almost $300 which I thought was a bit steep.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you for the video. That makes sense. IS there anywhere you recommend getting these rails? Directly from the dealer, they quoted me almost $300 which I thought was a bit steep.
I did better on line than 300. The rivnuts are hexagonal and I had no problem what so ever, take your time.
I don't know the limitations of the rails as far as rivnuts. There is a posting by one member that used fender washers instead of the rivnuts.
I have not seen a forum member with a posting on bed rail failing under load and the directions does not list a load limit.

The rails are attached at 8 points and you have tie down points at front and back of the bed. You can also add bullrings to the top of the rails. Adds up to a lot of secure points.

SecretAznMan007

Reaction score
I did better on line than 300. The rivnuts are hexagonal and I had no problem what so ever, take your time.
I don't know the limitations of the rails as far as rivnuts. There is a posting by one member that used fender washers instead of the rivnuts.
I have not seen a forum member with a posting on bed rail failing under load and the directions does not list a load limit.

The rails are attached at 8 points and you have tie down points at front and back of the bed. You can also add bullrings to the top of the rails. Adds up to a lot of secure points.

Thank you! I appreciate the input.

Rick J

Reaction score
Here's where I got mine. $208.06

RJS

Reaction score
I also got mine from my dealer, about $225 IIRC. I used a coupon from the dealers website that was 15% off. Go through the MOPAR/Ram owners website and look for your dealer. That's where I found the coupon. My dealer seems to be less than list by a few bucks and they took the coupon too. You can check the vendors on this site and on Ebay also.

Weight limit quoted from another post. "From page 139 of the Owners Manual: "The maximum load per cleat should not exceed 250 lbs (113 kg) and the angle of the load on each cleat should not exceed 45 degrees above horizontal, or damage to the cleat or cleat rail may occur."

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Fatnipples

Reaction score
The rivnuts that come with the rail are terrible. Half of them either just spun (wouldn't crush) or crushed partially and popped back out of the hole. I ended up having to buy my own rivnuts and tool to mount the rail. In the end I still don't have confidence in it. I would rather have actual nuts/washers on the opposite side of the bolts but that requires removing body panels or what not.

A few people on amazon recommended issuing a riveter as well. If one pops out I’ll rivit it

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the rails and bolts from another truck, but apparently there is no way to buy the

So I have the rails and bolts from my truck I traded, but the new truck needs the rivvnuts I guess. Is the tool required to install them? I'd rather not spend $60 on a tool I'll use once.

RJS

Reaction score
I have the rails and bolts from another truck, but apparently there is no way to buy the

So I have the rails and bolts from my truck I traded, but the new truck needs the rivvnuts I guess. Is the tool required to install them? I'd rather not spend $60 on a tool I'll use once.
Check post #8 in this thread.

rzims

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the rivnuts are? I talked to the parts guy the other day and he had no idea and didn't seem to be interested in helping me find out.
I'd like to use the holes and the rivnuts but attached a couple of quick fists for a shovel and axe. Don't need the whole bedrail system

Maconi

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the rivnuts are? I talked to the parts guy the other day and he had no idea and didn't seem to be interested in helping me find out.
I'd like to use the holes and the rivnuts but attached a couple of quick fists for a shovel and axe. Don't need the whole bedrail system

Hole Size: 0.354 inch / 9mm
Thread pitch: M6-1.0mm

If you're asking what Rivnuts to buy, they'll just be called M6 Rivnuts.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a lot of hassle I finally got them installed today.

Attachments

• 041F9E94-9861-489D-98C3-4146FC496B46.jpeg
    041F9E94-9861-489D-98C3-4146FC496B46.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 178B3547-AB81-401E-B6D9-4F5EAD0D7980.jpeg
    178B3547-AB81-401E-B6D9-4F5EAD0D7980.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 330

Users who are viewing this thread