5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

Cummins0867

Reaction score
2" and 4.5" The latest revision changes the attachment points.(See above) It now uses 2 of the bumper/hitch bolts and the third hole is still the same

View attachment 25840
That's totally different than my bolts on my truck. Mine looks more like the attached pic.
My knees got tired of waiting for the new version. Installed without a torque wrench as I have a USAF calibrated elbow. MoparAmerica.

Thanks for all the tips!

View attachment 22375
Mine looks more like this...Im pretty sure this one would work.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Tac747 Thank you for the pics and measurements. I found a couple of the old versions on the internet...I'm trying to get the sellers to send me their measurements....Thank you again for the pics and measurements much appreciated.

tul9033

Reaction score
Is this the same part offered as an option on the 2019 Limited for $199? The issue I have is if you add the part it removes the V8 and adds the V6.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is bizzare. Go here and add V8 motor and then the step. It says there is a conflict and wants to revert back to the V6.

Build Ram Limited

There might be a glitch with the online configuration. I hate that thing. The dealer should be able to order it in any configuration you want plus the bed step.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Well I tried the older "AB" bed step and it doesn't work. The mounting holes line up but the trailer hitch frame is too bulky on mine is why it wont work on my Ram 3500....its a clearance issue. I'm sure that when they finally come out it will be a totally different part number. Thank you again for all of the assistance that everyone provided on this thread.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Looks like the "AF" model is readily available now. I installed the "AB" model. Just curious as to if anyone knows if the end result of one is better than the other. I am thinking the "AF" is a little easier to install as it uses different mounting points but how does the end application perform compared to "AB"? Does it feel just as solid? The "AB" seems a little harsh sliding up and down, is this the same on AF? Is tightness to the bumper the same? I would assume nobody has any experience installing and testing both models lol so this post probably could not be answered. No big deal, just curious.

spphil

Reaction score
Looks like the "AF" model is readily available now. I installed the "AB" model. Just curious as to if anyone knows if the end result of one is better than the other. I am thinking the "AF" is a little easier to install as it uses different mounting points but how does the end application perform compared to "AB"? Does it feel just as solid? The "AB" seems a little harsh sliding up and down, is this the same on AF? Is tightness to the bumper the same? I would assume nobody has any experience installing and testing both models lol so this post probably could not be answered. No big deal, just curious.
I installed the AF it is easier . There is a tit on it so you can support it while putting the bolts in . It uses the 2 bolts that attach the trailer hitch to the frame. I tyraped the wires up rather than disconecting them .

DonJr

Reaction score
I have installed the bed step about three weeks ago, does anybody know why they do not offer one for the other side of the truck. Sometimes don’t like working from the street side of the truck. Would be great to have one on both sides.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the latest design (-AF) Mopar bedstep on my Rebel with Magnaflow Catback exhaust. Added a 3/16" thick washer under only the bottom bolt (between bracket and frame) to add clearance between step and the long 5" diameter exhaust tip. Fits perfect and only bumps exhaust if you let it close fast. Exhaust has room to vibrate without contact while driving. Nice heavy duty design. (y) :cool:

Lize

Reaction score
I have installed the bed step about three weeks ago, does anybody know why they do not offer one for the other side of the truck. Sometimes don’t like working from the street side of the truck. Would be great to have one on both sides.
Agree, I was surprised it’s on the street side. I’m in UK and RHD so isn’t street side for me and I think much better. There was a mess up though and I only have half a step so impossible to fit but so far have been managing without.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet if you found a skilled welder/metal worker, the step probably could be modified to mount on passenger side.

SP1772

Reaction score
Ordered mine from MoparAmerica yesterday. They said I’ll be receiving the “AF” model and will be shipping to me on Monday.

SP1772

Reaction score
Received my AF version today. All the parts are there. MoparAmerica did an excellent job double boxing the bed step. I guess they heard your complaints. Can’t wait to install this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread