5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

amr15

Reaction score

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered from them a few days ago and they cancelled the order based on backorder status...

Get it from your dealer. Trust me they have them. I got it for $284.75 plus tax and they had it next day. Said there were plenty in the regional warehouse in Orlando and brought one in next day. Zero problems.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered from them a few days ago and they cancelled the order based on backorder status...

Yeah they run out sometimes but get them back in stock pretty quickly. If you’re in a rush you can check locally like rampat said. Sometimes you can get a 15% coupon for the dealers. Otherwise you can usually leave the order open with moparamerica and they will ship it when they restock.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah they run out sometimes but get them back in stock pretty quickly. If you’re in a rush you can check locally like rampat said. Sometimes you can get a 15% coupon for the dealers. Otherwise you can usually leave the order open with moparamerica and they will ship it when they restock.

Yeah mine was with the 15% coupon. Didn’t give it a second thought and happy to have it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got an email stating that they cancelled due to back order. The next day, I got a shipping confirmation! This was many months ago, but as others have posted, they refresh their stock frequently.

Bram2019

Reaction score
The part number 82215289AF should be available for order. That was the latest supercedence available.

Txy

Reaction score
So I found a dealer about an hour away that had it for the regular price. Put it on today and it doesn't hit my magnaflow exhaust even though my exhaust tip on the driver side sits a little off to the left. tried deploying it fast and slow. No hitting. Part number AB if that makes any difference. I think if it is hitting your exhaust though you could probably stick a couple washers between the bracket and the frame to create a little more space.

grooves12

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with one of the bolts not fitting?

I had my bed step installed by the dealer (I was getting power running boards installed anyways.) After a few days I went to use the bed step and noticed it was loose. Crawled under the truck and noticed all three bolts were loose. Two were hand tight and the other was barely threaded in sticking out over an inch from the surface.

I didn't have time to take it back to the dealer, so I got the tools out to check everything and the bolt that was barely threaded in was only in about ONE thread and was only being held in by weight of the bed step and possible cross-threading. I took everything off and when I checked the frame hole where that bolt is, it is either not threaded properly or is a size smaller than the bolts the bed step came with (I couldn't tell.) For now, I tightened the other two bolts (1 lower, 1 upper) and torqued them. It doesn't move at all and is staying tight, but I would like to get that other bolt in there at some point, I'm just wondering what I will need to do. Has anyone had similar troubles?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with one of the bolts not fitting?

I had my bed step installed by the dealer (I was getting power running boards installed anyways.) After a few days I went to use the bed step and noticed it was loose. Crawled under the truck and noticed all three bolts were loose. Two were hand tight and the other was barely threaded in sticking out over an inch from the surface.

I didn't have time to take it back to the dealer, so I got the tools out to check everything and the bolt that was barely threaded in was only in about ONE thread and was only being held in by weight of the bed step and possible cross-threading. I took everything off and when I checked the frame hole where that bolt is, it is either not threaded properly or is a size smaller than the bolts the bed step came with (I couldn't tell.) For now, I tightened the other two bolts (1 lower, 1 upper) and torqued them. It doesn't move at all and is staying tight, but I would like to get that other bolt in there at some point, I'm just wondering what I will need to do. Has anyone had similar troubles?

Are you sure all the bolts are in the right spots? Maybe they mounted it incorrectly?

grooves12

Reaction score
Are you sure all the bolts are in the right spots? Maybe they mounted it incorrectly?

They are in the right spots... I even uninstalled it and re-installed it. My truck has nuts welded on all the spots where the bolts go, so it looks like the dealer threw away the nuts that came with the bed step. It appears the one in question isn't threaded (manufacturing defect?)

Patsy1099

Reaction score
They are in the right spots... I even uninstalled it and re-installed it. My truck has nuts welded on all the spots where the bolts go, so it looks like the dealer threw away the nuts that came with the bed step. It appears the one in question isn't threaded (manufacturing defect?)

Not all of them are threaded. I think some builds have them all threaded and some only one or two. Sounds like you’re missing a nut then. Should be easy enough to get from the dealer or Home Depot.

Last edited:

grooves12

Reaction score
Not all of them are threaded. I think some builds have them all threaded and some only one or two. Sounds like you’re missing a bit then. Should be easy enough to get from the dealer or Home Depot.

Mine has a nut welded in place, but the nut isn't threaded. So, the bolt doesn't fit into the hole. I think that nut didn't get tapped and QC didn't catch it before it got installed on the truck.

I will have to run a tap through it for it to work. And of course it the one that runs through the frame, making it that much more difficult.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Mine has a nut welded in place, but the nut isn't threaded. So, the bolt doesn't fit into the hole. I think that nut didn't get tapped and QC didn't catch it before it got installed on the truck.

I will have to run a tap through it for it to work. And of course it the one that runs through the frame, making it that much more difficult.
I had one of my bolts that came with the step that wouldn’t fit into the nut properly with mine as well but it was the same spot that I had to remove a bolt from so I re-used the bolt that I took out.

Patsy1099

Reaction score

That’s interesting. If you don’t want to do it yourself, I’m sure you can take it to the dealer and they will do it. They need to make it right. Plus it’s a Mopar part on a new vehicle so everything is under warranty. They should fix for free.

Rich

Reaction score
I just picked up the new "AF" version bed step from my dealer. It's nice to see that these are finally available. I've been trying to get one of these since January!

The new AF version comes with one bolt and one nut. The instructions tell you to remove two existing bolts and reuse them along with the extra bolt that is included. The nut is included in case your vehicle doesn't have a nut already welded in place.

They tell you to move the current wiring harness and there are holes available to hold the harness clips. No tie wraps needed.

Install was easy and smooth.

Last edited:

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't put the bed step on if you have the Magnaflow Cat Back....It bangs off of the step and was a PIA to modify in order for it do to bang with deployed, retracted and while driving.

ramchops

Reaction score
Don't put the bed step on if you have the Magnaflow Cat Back....It bangs off of the step and was a PIA to modify in order for it do to bang with deployed, retracted and while driving.

Thanks for the heads up - Just stopped myself from Ordering this.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The exhaust is great as i like it much better than the Flowmasters I had on my 4th Gen, but the Magnaflow customer service is horrible. They were fighting with me telling me that it was an aftermarket dealer add on which was not the case. It was on my build sheet from the factory. It amazes me that they are selling a product that should be plug and play but isn't!!!!!!!!! We should not have to fuss these because they're vehicle specific.

lbachko

Reaction score
So I got my Mopar bed Step..i.e., "Step Kit-Side - 82215289AB ", yesterday and mounted it. Took a couple of pictures of the mounting points. Just three bolts hold it on. Attached are the included mounting instructions and a couple of pictures.

In a nutshell:

1. Remove one existing bolt
2. Move the wire bundle (looks to be a groove in the back plate of the step to account for the wires, but I couldn't mount it without moving the wires to the side)
3. Mount the Step with the provided Three 7/8" head bolts (mounting points noted in first pic)

The top rear bolt is mounted in the frame rail, so you have to thread it blind holding the handle welded to the provided nut (see second pic). A bit of a pain, but not too bad.

Fitment is good and doesn't hit or touch anything that I can see.

I like it. I think I will order the Mopar Bed Grab handle to go with it. Wife wants something a little better to pull herself up with. She was a little spoiled with the pull out step and handle in our F150.

Edit: Added a few pics of the installed step
I purchased a step from the Ram dealer and spent a hour trying to install it and found out it was the wrong step. Thanks for putting the part number out here.

Users who are viewing this thread