5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

MrCuervoRacing

Reaction score
i was experiencing the same issue, under 2000 miles on the truck, terrible MPH
Limited, 4x4 5.7 with 3.92 gears 20x9 oem wheels.
stock 18.5 mpg on the hwy was the best ever seen.

Made a few changes and seen an improvement with each.
*bumped tire pressure to 44 psi.
*drop in k&n with carbon filter delete.
*Flowmaster large Rv muffler Super 50 #53057 with a cheap 12 inch resonator before it (perfect Btw for guys wanting quiet cruise even with MDS)
keeping the truck under 74 netted 20.7 calculated. and dash was very close , must drive conservatively to do so.

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i was experiencing the same issue, under 200 miles on the truck, terrible MPH
Limited, 4x4 5.7 with 3.92 gears 20x9 oem wheels.
stock 18.5 mpg on the hwy was the best ever seen.

Made a few changes and seen an improvement with each.
*bumped tire pressure to 44 psi.
*drop in k&n with carbon filter delete.
*Flowmaster large Rv muffler Super 50 #53057 with a cheap 12 inch resonator before it (perfect Btw for guys wanting quiet cruise even with MDS)
keeping the truck under 74 netted 20.7 calculated. and dash was very close , must drive conservatively to do so.

I'm sure the tire pressure helped the most but I like my comfortable ride down at 36 psi.

Rottonrob

Reaction score
Just got back from 888 mile trip and averaged 16.8 mph. 2500miles on truck.

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
Anyone else getting less than 14mpg? My 4th gen got way better economy. I know it’s a truck and I don’t expect amazing economy, but i do expect to get what I got out of my 4th gen which was 16-17, and also does anyone have a vibration coming from the drivetrain when In 4wd hi or auto?
I'm getting 15-16 with mixed street/highway driving.. solid 18 freeway cruising with cruise control on. 3.92 2WD about the same as my 2007 dakota with the 4.7 Towing my trailer drops it 2-3 but MAN is it a great towing rig! (factory tow package, love the brake controller)

Ram’dit

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Limited 5.7 e-torque with 3.21 rear end. 4x4. I took it in for concerns over average fuel economy over 23,000 miles of 15.1 mpg. Dealer so kindly reset my trip B that had the info and said it all looked normal. Complete bullsh*t. This etorque should be getting somewhere near the combined 19MPG published by FCA. @RamCares It's the whole reason I purchased e-torque. Instead I feel like I wasted several thousand dollars on this option that provides no value. I'm also pissed at the dealer for resetting that trip meter that had the life of the vehicle on it.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Limited 5.7 e-torque with 3.21 rear end. 4x4. I took it in for concerns over average fuel economy over 23,000 miles of 15.1 mpg. Dealer so kindly reset my trip B that had the info and said it all looked normal. Complete bullsh*t. This etorque should be getting somewhere near the combined 19MPG published by FCA. @RamCares It's the whole reason I purchased e-torque. Instead I feel like I wasted several thousand dollars on this option that provides no value. I'm also pissed at the dealer for resetting that trip meter that had the life of the vehicle on it.
It's not going to do any better.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First, you have a Limited + Level 1 and RamBoxes on 22s...i.e. a much heavier truck than was used for fuel economy testing.

Second, you need to update your signature, presuming it shouldn’t say “ordered” anymore ;)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just be glad you're not getting the 13.5 you'd be getting with no e-Torque...

;)

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
All these claims of bad fuel mileage make me laugh. I have never bought a truck for the good fuel mileage, no matter what they claim they should be getting.

W9MCP

Reaction score
where do you see the 26 is standard bc it sure wasnt on mine

My vin specific RAM build sheet delivered with the vehicle shows it clearly, and it’s in the standard equipment section, not the optional section. Being a limited, it’s 26. The manual shows the 23/26 gallon as standard depending on trim and engine selection, plus 33 as an option.

You can generate a build sheet after the fact with your vin. Take the url below and add your vin, using capital letters to be safe.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I drove between north of Seattle and Portland Oregon this week at an average speed around 70-75mph with an average of 17mpg. I ran 89 one way and burned about half a tank. I filled up with 87 on the return. Not trying to do a fuel comparison on this run.
I’m not sure if I could tell a difference but I just changed my oil to synthetic and added a moly additive before the trip.
MPG seems to be creeping up as the miles roll on. I am at about 5000mi right now.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I’ve got 9,500 miles on the Laramie now. Morning drive is 40 min with about 15 in stop and go and I’ve averaged about 15.5-16 mpg. On the freeway it’ll jump up to 18. I really though this truck would get better mpgs. But my avg isn’t bad considering I’m in stop and go for a bit on my commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My1stHemi

Reaction score
At the end of the day I am much happier getting 17mpg with my Hemi than I would be getting 40mpg in a Prius.

Thanks be to hybrid owners for driving soul-less econoboxes that burn less fuel, reduce demand and keep national fuel prices down. You all suffer so I don’t have to. Such hero’s.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the end of the day I am much happier getting 17mpg with my Hemi than I would be getting 40mpg in a Prius.

Thanks be to hybrid owners for driving soul-less econoboxes that burn less fuel, reduce demand and keep national fuel prices down. You all suffer so I don’t have to. Such hero’s.

I know it's petty but I absolutely floor it when around Prius cars....I get that people with long commutes and limited budgets need it but they are so fugly.

DesertRebel

Reaction score

17 would be awesome.

Heli-Pilot

Reaction score
Did a 250 mile road trip today in eastern Oregon. Hilly with elevation gain, some slow off road for about 10 miles and a left front quartering crosswind on the way home. Cruise set on 65 - 72 most of the way, returned 17 mpg and i still have 200 pounds of gravel bags in the bed for snow traction! Trip included several 100+ mph passes (because I can!) of semis and buttplug, wet fart type of cars like Prius and Subaru's! Gotta love that hemi with the Pedal Commander, gets it done NOW! Truck has 2500 miles on it now. Getting ready to do 1st oil change to full synthetic.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Did a 250 mile road trip today in eastern Oregon. Hilly with elevation gain, some slow off road for about 10 miles and a left front quartering crosswind on the way home. Cruise set on 65 - 72 most of the way, returned 17 mpg and i still have 200 pounds of gravel bags in the bed for snow traction! Trip included several 100+ mph passes (because I can!) of semis and buttplug, wet fart type of cars like Prius and Subaru's! Gotta love that hemi with the Pedal Commander, gets it done NOW! Truck has 2500 miles on it now. Getting ready to do 1st oil change to full synthetic.
Not to get off subject, but these trucks are difficult to drive conservatively. The handling is impressive and the power of that hemi with ample gears is amazing. Having driven mostly older Mercedes and 3/4tn 3rd gen Cummins this rig feels nearly as planted at speed as the Benz.
I’m concerned that if I get a magnaflow my mileage will tank

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I've read the thread and following new posts - but haven't paid attention to the model/trim each user has... Any members in Rebels getting anywhere near 15 (or better)?

I'm still seeing low 13s on the gauge (which means hight 12s in practical calculation).

Users who are viewing this thread