5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sigh. Gas mileage is sooo subjective. There's more factors that affect it than about anything. To wit, driving style. My son and I have identical Limiteds (mechanically and tires). Both are non ET 3.21's, (well he has the long bed but it's covered with a tonneau, my short bed is open so maybe they equate). Anyway, the best he gets is 15.3 in town. To prove a point, I let him reset the mileage and over the exact same 14 mile loop, with speed limits 35 and 45 (city, about 4 stoplights total), he got 15 and I got 16.5. It's all about anticipating braking, anticipating stoplights, and not accelerating hard. He just has a heavier foot and uses his brakes more while I grandpa it more. That's just a single example but it's a basic idea.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have said before.....I don't drive fast and don't have a heavy foot...….wife and I took a 130 mile round trip over the weekend.....mostly two lane roads....small hills.....a few miles in the city. When we left....I reset trip info......I averaged 20.9 mpg. Most of the time....had truck on cruise control.....53 to 56 mph. I am loving the mileage of this truck.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sigh. Gas mileage is sooo subjective. There's more factors that affect it than about anything. To wit, driving style. My son and I have identical Limiteds (mechanically and tires). Both are non ET 3.21's, (well he has the long bed but it's covered with a tonneau, my short bed is open so maybe they equate). Anyway, the best he gets is 15.3 in town. To prove a point, I let him reset the mileage and over the exact same 14 mile loop, with speed limits 35 and 45 (city, about 4 stoplights total), he got 15 and I got 16.5. It's all about anticipating braking, anticipating stoplights, and not accelerating hard. He just has a heavier foot and uses his brakes more while I grandpa it more. That's just a single example but it's a basic idea.

You should swap trucks and drive the same loop to see if it's the truck or the driving style.

tlpollock01

Reaction score
Anyone else getting less than 14mpg? My 4th gen got way better economy. I know it’s a truck and I don’t expect amazing economy, but i do expect to get what I got out of my 4th gen which was 16-17, and also does anyone have a vibration coming from the drivetrain when In 4wd hi or auto?
I just bought mine on Jan 2nd, It has around 400 miles on it and I been getting around 16 mpg on the interstate at 75-80 mph. I did notice that on my other vehicles if you put it in tow/haul mode while cruising, the RPM's would increase slightly like its unlocking the torque converter. This truck when I toggle tow/haul mode, the RPM's never change at all. I wonder if it is a break in programming thing or a new style of tow/haul mode ?

raven_DT

Reaction score
Im typically getting 17.5-18mpg (70/30 highway bias)

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have said before.....I don't drive fast and don't have a heavy foot...….wife and I took a 130 mile round trip over the weekend.....mostly two lane roads....small hills.....a few miles in the city. When we left....I reset trip info......I averaged 20.9 mpg. Most of the time....had truck on cruise control.....53 to 56 mph. I am loving the mileage of this truck.
With little traffic at those speeds sure thing but how often will drivers get those conditions? I drive slower (usually posted) and get run over or flashed so I have to step it up just to keep from annoying drivers. In this day and age of road rage, on a 2 lane it isn't smart to be at the limit or below unless road conditions aren't good. On a multi-lane highway in the far right lane then maybe.

raven_DT

Reaction score
With little traffic at those speeds sure thing but how often will drivers get those conditions? I drive slower (usually posted) and get run over or flashed so I have to step it up just to keep from annoying drivers. In this day and age of road rage, on a 2 lane it isn't smart to be at the limit or below unless road conditions aren't good. On a multi-lane highway in the far right lane then maybe.
I dont let other people dictate how I drive. What are they going to do, run over me in their subcompact???

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I dont let other people dictate how I drive. What are they going to do, run over me in their subcompact???
I hear ya' but there's altogether too much road rage and crap happening nowadays. It didn't happen to me but I recently saw a driver pass on the right on the shoulder, (2 lanes) he threw rocks/gravel all over the place, in his desperate attempt to get a few car lengths ahead. He was an idiot but still, it's nutjobs like that who will cause wrecks. If I am going 5 over it seems to "satisfy" most drivers and it's usually within the tolerance for tickets.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Those are my driving conditions almost all the time....love living rural. The week before Thanksgiving.....I drove 100 miles of two lane roads than got on Interstate 5 for about 150 miles with cruise set to 67mph....we were taking kids back to airport. Still averaged 20mpg on the trip. Pretty good mileage for a truck with all that horsepower....much better than my old 2003 Chevy 2500 HD. I love the mileage thus far.

DesertRebel

Reaction score

In previous truck (F-150 ecoboost) I was in HOV lane going 74 in 65 zone... It was dark and in this distance a could see a motorcycle coming up pretty fast... As it got closer I figured he would ride my butt trying to get me moving faster.... The bike changed lanes and went around me - it was DPS (highway patrol).

Not even law enforcement tolerates slow pokes.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This...exactly.

And I bet that that science and data shows that the difference between 87 and 89 only matters at all when you're experiencing conditions that would promote pre-ignition. Like, just for example, it's really hot weather and you're towing a very heavy load.

But, rather than give a conditional recommendation - i.e. "use 87 under these conditions, and use 89 under these other conditions" - they opted to play it safe and recommend 89. Keeping it simple.

supercanadian

Reaction score
On my 2020 Limited i'm averaging 15.2 mpg...even did the conversion for you folks! Now to be fair I only have 287km on the truck lol. but 180 of those were on the highway....but i did have the truck idling for a while when i goofed around with the display and gadgets. not too concerned with fuel economy but have been watching it for fun. oddly never watched once really what my F150 2.7 ecco ever did.

blackamarss

Reaction score
i am 1120 mile into my 2019 Laramie sport with 20 inch wheel 3.21 gear, mostly city driving averaging 9 mpg :) if all high way, it can reach almost 20mpg

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Yea...but we enjoy the scenery more and get there much more relaxed. (y)
There's no scenery to enjoy at 0-dark-30 in the morning. Only one thing happening at that time = drive with a purpose and get where you need to be... hopefully anyone with other agendas are in the far right lane. :)

DesertRebel

Reaction score
On my 2020 Limited i'm averaging 15.2 mpg...even did the conversion for you folks! Now to be fair I only have 287km on the truck lol. but 180 of those were on the highway....but i did have the truck idling for a while when i goofed around with the display and gadgets. not too concerned with fuel economy but have been watching it for fun. oddly never watched once really what my F150 2.7 ecco ever did.
I can assure you the 2.7 eco did better... in your case, likely 2-3 mpg better (or more) - in my case, it was 4-5 mpg better (on avg).

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online