5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

RichT

Reaction score
10K recently. Rebel 12 (1554# door sticker) with 500 lbs of add-ons.

Getting around 16.5 hwy, 12 city

Kob0583

Reaction score
16.6 on my rebel, did a trip mostly highway got 19.3, I’m a pretty conservative driver though. Only around 300 miles on the truck so hopefully it will get better with more of a break in. I also removed the secondary screen from my intake, it’s super restrictive and only there for CA emissions from my understanding. Did the same on my old Tacoma TRD CAI back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I doubt this to be true. Ran out of gas already in a Brand new truck that hasn’t been owned very long? Seems highly unlikely.

And if it is, stop doing that. It’s insane. There’s a gauge that tells you when to fill it up. And a stupid light now and warning message thanks to these types of people. Causing traffic, safety concerns, and inconveniencing everyone trying to go about their day for pure laziness.
I'll take "things that never happened" for $1000, Alex.

Roddog2220

Reaction score

CORebel19

Reaction score
16.6 on my rebel, did a trip mostly highway got 19.3, I’m a pretty conservative driver though. Only around 300 miles on the truck so hopefully it will get better with more of a break in. I also removed the secondary screen from my intake, it’s super restrictive and only there for CA emissions from my understanding. Did the same on my old Tacoma TRD CAI back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tested the “Economy” settings on my Pulsar. Fairly short highway trip on mostly flat terrain at elevation of ~5,600’ at 75MPH. 18.8MPG with all of my mods isn’t too bad compared to what I’ve seen on other posts.

I’ll be doing the same drive next week in “Stock” mode to compare. Then I’ll try MDS Off during future drives on same route.

Attachments

• ACE32103-6EA8-4704-97B6-7144FE4F5976.jpeg
    ACE32103-6EA8-4704-97B6-7144FE4F5976.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 24

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Tested the “Economy” settings on my Pulsar. Fairly short highway trip on mostly flat terrain at elevation of ~5,600’ at 75MPH. 18.8MPG with all of my mods isn’t too bad compared to what I’ve seen on other posts.

I’ll be doing the same drive next week in “Stock” mode to compare. Then I’ll try MDS Off during future drives on same route.
Post back with results, although on the highway the difference will be minimal. In my case, MDS never kicks in at 70 MPH.

CORebel19

Reaction score
Will do! I usually run”Stock” mode with Automatic start/stop engaged in the city and get about 14.9mpg with a moderate foot. Drops to about 14 when I play in “Performance MDS Off” but who cares about mpg in that mode when the Hemi is roaring while people stare at the beast launching like a rocket

Now I’m seeking optimal setting for best HWY mpg for road trips. Economy test was today then I’ll try other settings on the same stretch of road in coming weeks.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Will do! I usually run”Stock” mode with Automatic start/stop engaged in the city and get about 14.9mpg with a moderate foot. Drops to about 14 when I play in “Performance MDS Off” but who cares about mpg in that mode when the Hemi is roaring while people stare at the beast launching like a rocket

Now I’m seeking optimal setting for best HWY mpg for road trips. Economy test was today then I’ll try other settings on the same stretch of road in coming weeks.
Sounds good. Can't wait to see how it goes.

CORebel19

Reaction score
Post back with results, although on the highway the difference will be minimal. In my case, MDS never kicks in at 70 MPH.
Ran another hwy test with Puksar set in “Stock” mode. Aurora,CO to Boulder 20.3mpg. Then Boulder back to Aurora 19.7mpg (not back to the exact place...just a few miles from original starting point)

Ride up had light traffic so was able to set cruise control with little interference. Ride back had more traffic so speed varied a bit more. But again, I’m very pleased with the numbers

Attachments

• 3721FEFA-46E4-4F05-8B8E-F78A0B261E93.jpeg
    3721FEFA-46E4-4F05-8B8E-F78A0B261E93.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 9516DF2A-6F7D-405F-BCCC-B82EE27C6446.jpeg
    9516DF2A-6F7D-405F-BCCC-B82EE27C6446.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 34

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ran another hwy test with Puksar set in “Stock” mode. Aurora,CO to Boulder 20.3mpg. Then Boulder back to Aurora 19.7mpg (not back to the exact place...just a few miles from original starting point)

Ride up had light traffic so was able to set cruise control with little interference. Ride back had more traffic so speed varied a bit more. But again, I’m very pleased with the numbers
Sounds good. What was your avg speed?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took my daughter skiing for the first time on Friday. 400 miles round trip up to Bretton Woods NH, hitting city traffic in Boston on the way up and the way home, as well as light snow on the way down from the mountains. Pretty much ran the full gamut of traffic/driving conditions on the trip and averaged 18.1 mpg. Pretty happy with that.

In my experience two things really impact fuel economy negatively... idling the truck for a long time (my wife and I do this a lot) or doing over 72 - 73 mph (2,000 rpm or over). I'm pretty sure if I could find a long stretch of road where I could keep the truck at 60, and suppress my lead foot, it would get 20-21 mpg.

No sure why some folks get substantially worse mileage.

CORebel19

Reaction score
That is Incredible for a 6" lift on 35s. So you think the pulsar helps in stock mode vs not having it? Or is it a truly 1:1 stock mode?
Pulsar absolutely helps in stock mode vs original stock mode without Pulsar. Gas pedal responds differently & transmission shifts more efficiently. IMO mpg improvement on hwy is coming from lower RPM when over 70mph.

Plus the Pulsar is just fun when in “Performance MDS Off”!!

I’ve played with all the settings & leave it in “Stock” for daily & hwy & “Performance MDS Off” to really turn heads

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Took my daughter skiing for the first time on Friday. 400 miles round trip up to Bretton Woods NH, hitting city traffic in Boston on the way up and the way home, as well as light snow on the way down from the mountains. Pretty much ran the full gamut of traffic/driving conditions on the trip and averaged 18.1 mpg. Pretty happy with that.

In my experience two things really impact fuel economy negatively... idling the truck for a long time (my wife and I do this a lot) or doing over 72 - 73 mph (2,000 rpm or over). I'm pretty sure if I could find a long stretch of road where I could keep the truck at 60, and suppress my lead foot, it would get 20-21 mpg.

No sure why some folks get substantially worse mileage.
My RPMs sit at ~1,600 @ 70 MPH.
I have the 3.21. Even at 75, it’s not much higher.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drive mostly around town, highway once in awhile. Only 3k on the Rebel so far, so no MDS, just pure HEMI!
Get 17.2 on the highway, around 70mph. 14.5 around town and towing when it's time to go quading. Now with winter starting and warming it up before jumping in I am getting 12.

And you know what? I don't care. I love the power, the sound, everything about it. I don't care if gas was $5.00 a gal.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I took a trip from Phoenix to Tucson this weekend. Tucson has a higher elevation than Phoenix so on the way there I got about 18 mpg. On the way back I got about 20 mpg. Both ways I set the cruse control and watched my instant mpg reading as I moved through different speeds. Around 70 mph (in town) is the best as MDS is on a lot. On the open highway I found 78 mph to be the sweet spot. There is not a lot of difference unless you move down to 75 or lower or 79-80 and higher. At 78 I was getting between 19 and 21 mpg on the instant read depending on uphill, downhill or flat. There was very little wind and temps in the 60's. I'm thinking this will be my speed on longer trips, driving conditions permitting.

Users who are viewing this thread