5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any members in Rebels getting anywhere near 15 (or better)?

Some older threads on Rebel mpg.

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
I've read the thread and following new posts - but haven't paid attention to the model/trim each user has... Any members in Rebels getting anywhere near 15 (or better)?

I'm still seeing low 13s on the gauge (which means hight 12s in practical calculation).
15-16 at 75 on flat ground. Been getting slightly higher lately. Took a 2 hour trip north of me, 16 there, 19 back.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DesertRebel

Reaction score
15-16 at 75 on flat ground. Been getting slightly higher lately. Took a 2 hour trip north of me, 16 there, 19 back.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I figured many of the decent number reports had to be Rebels... Mine seems to be an anomaly - I get nowhere near that
:confused:

I have just under 1200 miles - and there's no way this thing will see 3-4 mpg better after more "break-in".

There a lot to like about this truck - but I'm getting the lowest mpg of any I've read about.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know it's petty but I absolutely floor it when around Prius cars....I get that people with long commutes and limited budgets need it but they are so fugly.
Ha ha, I had a Prius for 5 years... Another one of my "can't get out of its own way" cars. The gas mileage was stellar (lifetime over 100K miles driven was 53), comfort/ride quality, performance were dismal. I will say that it was by far the absolute most reliable and least mechanically needy of any vehicle I have ever owned. Other than the recommended maintenance that was performed (which in hindsight I could have totally skipped), in 120K it cost me "0" in breakdowns or unnecessary dealer visits. I was sad to see that part of it go.
It has saved a lot of fuel to be used by Rebel and Raptor owners though...

Last edited by a moderator:

raven_DT

Reaction score
What are you guys talking about??? I thought everyone got 20 mpg with their Hemi (80% highway mix)

Attachments

• ram_mpg.jpg
    ram_mpg.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 57

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I figured many of the decent number reports had to be Rebels... Mine seems to be an anomaly - I get nowhere near that
:confused:

I have just under 1200 miles - and there's no way this thing will see 3-4 mpg better after more "break-in".

There a lot to like about this truck - but I'm getting the lowest mpg of any I've read about.
Fear not. Im at 5500mi this week and its been interesting to watch mileage improve over time. I bumped my tire pressure to 45psi from stock 36-35psi. Im also about 800mi into fresh synthetic with a Lubeguard moly additive after the factory oil was dumped and mileage has become tolerable.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Fear not. Im at 5500mi this week and its been interesting to watch mileage improve over time. I bumped my tire pressure to 45psi from stock 36-35psi. Im also about 800mi into fresh synthetic with a Lubeguard moly additive after the factory oil was dumped and mileage has become tolerable.
I've been thinking about changing oil/filter and air filter to see if it helps (only at 1200+ miles though)...

door jam states 55psi and they've stayed consistently close to that - nitrogen filled so I don't want to mess with adjustments if I can avoid it. *side note: I know most people claim nitro filled is a gimmick (and maybe it is) - but the psi doesn't fluctuate as much with these tires as they have with other trucks I've had.

Hopefully the MPG will get better, as you and others have advised. I'm a little less than optimistic that it will ever be as high as most that I'm reading here.

Rambunxs

Reaction score
Ha ha, I had a Prius for 5 years... Another one of my "can't get out of its own way" cars. The gas mleage was stellar (lifetime over 100K miles driven was 53), comfort/ride quality, performance were dismal. I will say that it was by far the absolute most reliable and least mechanically needy of any vehicle I have ever owned. Other than the standard recommended maintenance that was performed (which in hindsight I could have totally skipped), in 120K it cost me "0" in breakdowns or unnecessary dealer visits. I was sad to see that part of it go.
It has saved a lot of fuel to be used by Rebel and Raptor owners though...
My wife has a Prius as she has a long commute to work. It's our second one and she loves it. I can't stand riding/driving it, as it's noisy and uncomfortable. It is, however, dead reliable and cheap to own. 126K miles and I have only done (myself) oil changes and tires. Cheap to own for sure, but we take the Ram on trips for the comfort.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My wife has a Prius as she has a long commute to work. It's our second one and she loves it. I can't stand riding/driving it, as it's noisy and uncomfortable. It is, however, dead reliable and cheap to own. 126K miles and I have only done (myself) oil changes and tires. Cheap to own for sure, but we take the Ram on trips for the comfort.
We try to the same thing, truck is best on trips when I can get her to use it...

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve previously stated I’m not one to worry about MPG but after reading all the comments I’ve been looking at it just out of curiosity. My normal work commute is about 3 miles round trip and I was averaging about 10.3 MPG. I recently had hernia surgery and had to make several trips of around 80 miles round trip and my MPG went up to 17.9 MPG which I thought was a pretty good improvement. This was averaging 60-70 MPH and running 93 octane with MDS deactivated on pretty flat roads and I do tend to drive aggressively. Anyhow just thought it was interesting how much my MPG improved but again I don’t really care, just thought I’d share my experience.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Mine has been pretty decent commuting but above 70 it’s not great 14-15 MPG, my mixed driving 30 mile commute is usually never over 70 due to traffic and I get 18-20 but my road trip doing 75 for 150 miles it dropped to that 14-15 range which was a bummer because I figured my straight HWY would be better than mixed but I guess that ECO below 60 is making a big difference setting at 2500 miles on my 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambunxs

Reaction score
Mine has been pretty decent commuting but above 70 it’s not great 14-15 MPG, my mixed driving 30 mile commute is usually never over 70 due to traffic and I get 18-20 but my road trip doing 75 for 150 miles it dropped to that 14-15 range which was a bummer because I figured my straight HWY would be better than mixed but I guess that ECO below 60 is making a big difference setting at 2500 miles on my 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm about the same as you. I assumed I would get better MPG on the highway, but speeds above 70 bring my mileage down. Commuting and around town are at 55 mph or less for me and I see the ECO light quite often. I very rarely see the ECO light when on the turnpike at speeds above 70.

Users who are viewing this thread