5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I drive mostly around town, highway once in awhile. Only 3k on the Rebel so far, so no MDS, just pure HEMI!
Get 17.2 on the highway, around 70mph. 14.5 around town and towing when it's time to go quading. Now with winter starting and warming it up before jumping in I am getting 12.

And you know what? I don't care. I love the power, the sound, everything about it. I don't care if gas was $5.00 a gal.
Could not have said it better myself!

mpurkey

Reaction score
I drive mostly around town, highway once in awhile. Only 3k on the Rebel so far, so no MDS, just pure HEMI!
Get 17.2 on the highway, around 70mph. 14.5 around town and towing when it's time to go quading. Now with winter starting and warming it up before jumping in I am getting 12.

And you know what? I don't care. I love the power, the sound, everything about it. I don't care if gas was $5.00 a gal.

He$$ yeah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mharringer

Reaction score
Mine is struggling this winter. I'm sure it is affected by using the autostart and the short intown drives, but my hand calc on my last tank was 12.8 mpg, which is about 5 mpg less than I was getting this summer.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Averaging 17.5 now hitting 19-20 mixed drive commute but speed is mostly under 70. I’m still hoping it will come up a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xspeedy

Reaction score
I am on an extended test drive of a Limited 4X2 with standard gears and only seeing around 13.5. It is a good mix of city and highway. My 3.5 Ecoboost F-150 with 3.55 gears would get me around 17.5 and my 2.7 Ecoboost loaner gets around 18.5. I have not cleared the counter but will try today.

IceStormz

Reaction score
Hey guys, fellow Canadian here. I have the 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with aftermarket tires (20-inch fuels with 33" mud tires).

I'm currently getting somewhere between 23-25 L/100km. Which is roughly 9-10MPG. It's also the pure 5.7L without MDS or stop and go nonsense.

Normally, the truck is in 2WD and I move it to 4WD Auto when it's -5 degrees celsius (23 Fahrenheit). I refuel with 87 octane at Petro-Canada in Greater Toronto Region.

I understand it's a truck and not a prius or ev machine, but are these numbers normal/what I should be expecting? It currently has 5200km (3200 miles). Next oil change is going to be done soon (ShouldI do it or the dealer!?)

Couple of factors I do know that contribute to the poor economy is that I use remote start a fair amount, to let the engine oil and transmission oil warm up to roughly 80 and 20.

Any tips for a new Ram owner or is it time for me to suck it up?

Thanks in advance for your tips folks!

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Hey guys, fellow Canadian here. I have the 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with aftermarket tires (20-inch fuels with 33" mud tires).

I'm currently getting somewhere between 23-25 L/100km. Which is roughly 9-10MPG. It's also the pure 5.7L without MDS or stop and go nonsense.

Normally, the truck is in 2WD and I move it to 4WD Auto when it's -5 degrees celsius (23 Fahrenheit). I refuel with 87 octane at Petro-Canada in Greater Toronto Region.

I understand it's a truck and not a prius or ev machine, but are these numbers normal/what I should be expecting? It currently has 5200km (3200 miles). Next oil change is going to be done soon (ShouldI do it or the dealer!?)

Couple of factors I do know that contribute to the poor economy is that I use remote start a fair amount, to let the engine oil and transmission oil warm up to roughly 80 and 20.

My first oil change at 3k miles I switched to full synthetic and got about 2 mpg. Cold air intake gave me about 1/2 mpg and if I run my Pedal commander on eco I'm getting about another 1/2 mpg. My bed cover is heavy so I'm sure the weight cancels out the drag reduction for the most part, but at freeway speeds I think it helps a little.

I use my MDS so that helps considering my pedal commander is fairly new and I like running it at City +3 for extra smiles per gallon. I'd say the oil helped the most so far.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I too have a 4x4 limited, mine has 3.21 gears. You are correct about the remote start...kills the computers readout on mpg or L/km in your case. The other is 87 octane. There are many "opinions" here concerning octane. My truck is 1 year old with 21,000 miles. A few months ago I left from Detroit Michigan to drive to San Diego Ca. Along the way, I decided to do a fuel test by switching octanes between fill-ups, because of the claims made on this forum. 87 Octane decreased my fuel economy by 2 mpg each time I filled the tank with it, increased by 2 mpg each time I refilled with 89 Octane. I do not need everyone's opinion, as I trust my lying eyes. All that said...over the last year my truck averages 14-15 mpg combined city/hwy driving. Occasionally 13-14mpg when I remote start my truck for extended periods of time during Michigan winters. My mpg was very low like yours until I got around 5,000 miles on the truck, then it started to creep up. Good Luck, your mileage will increase.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too have a 4x4 limited, mine has 3.21 gears. You are correct about the remote start...kills the computers readout on mpg or L/km in your case. The other is 87 octane. There are many "opinions" here concerning octane. My truck is 1 year old with 21,000 miles. A few months ago I left from Detroit Michigan to drive to San Diego Ca. Along the way, I decided to do a fuel test by switching octanes between fill-ups, because of the claims made on this forum. 87 Octane decreased my fuel economy by 2 mpg each time I filled the tank with it, increased by 2 mpg each time I refilled with 89 Octane. I do not need everyone's opinion, as I trust my lying eyes. All that said...over the last year my truck averages 14-15 mpg combined city/hwy driving. Occasionally 13-14mpg when I remote start my truck for extended periods of time during Michigan winters. My mpg was very low like yours until I got around 5,000 miles on the truck, then it started to creep up. Good Luck, your mileage will increase.

Is that based on the onboard computer, or hand calculations for every fill-up? My onboard computer is frequently off by over 1 MPG.

I ran 89 when my truck was new (from 7/14/19 - 11/4/19). Then I switched to 87. I have 11,000-something miles on the truck now.

On 89, I drove a total of 6,316 miles and used 434 gallons. That is 14.5 MPG.

Since November 4, I have only used 87. I have driven 3,874 miles and used 257 gallons. That is 15.1 MPG.

That is all hand calculated (via downloading my Fuelly log into Excel).

I'm not saying that 87 gets better mileage than 89. I did more highway driving and less city driving since I switched to 87. Maybe that is why the more recent mileage is higher.

I AM saying that just looking at individual fill-ups is not a good way to draw conclusions because of the variables around each individual fill-up. Also, if you're basing anything on the onboard computer, that completely throws the conclusions out the window, based on my experience.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're also comparing break-in mileage with 89 to running 87 a bit later. Have you tried running 89 again? Were the trips the same between the first 6,316 miles and the 3,847? You're data for 87 is also only a little over 61% that of your 89 data.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you are less than 10,000K Kilometers and are using remote start then you probably won't get above 14 MPG. I notice when I use remote start I drop my MPG at least 2 MPG average

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that based on the onboard computer, or hand calculations for every fill-up? My onboard computer is frequently off by over 1 MPG.

I ran 89 when my truck was new (from 7/14/19 - 11/4/19). Then I switched to 87. I have 11,000-something miles on the truck now.

On 89, I drove a total of 6,316 miles and used 434 gallons. That is 14.5 MPG.

Since November 4, I have only used 87. I have driven 3,874 miles and used 257 gallons. That is 15.1 MPG.

That is all hand calculated (via downloading my Fuelly log into Excel).

I'm not saying that 87 gets better mileage than 89. I did more highway driving and less city driving since I switched to 87. Maybe that is why the more recent mileage is higher.

I AM saying that just looking at individual fill-ups is not a good way to draw conclusions because of the variables around each individual fill-up. Also, if you're basing anything on the onboard computer, that completely throws the conclusions out the window, based on my experience.
I completely disagree because I drove 800 miles per day, same conditions and speeds, with temp throughout the day being the only variant. 2 tanks 87, 2 tanks 89 alternating the octane at fill up consistently showed 2mpg difference in what the computer was calculating. I could care less if the computer is always off by 1mpg, the fact is, it detected 2 mpg differences each time I changed the Octane. That tells me that my truck runs better in 89 than 87.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're also comparing break-in mileage with 89 to running 87 a bit later.

Fair enough. I reckon I was probably more heavy on the gas pedal those first few miles, too. I checked the mileage on 89 for the period from 3000 (approx) on the odometer going forward.

On 89, after 3000 miles of break-in, I did 4065 miles and used 269 gallons. That is 15.1 MPG. Same as what I have been getting since I switched to 87.

Have you tried running 89 again? Were the trips the same between the first 6,316 miles and the 3,847?

I addressed those questions in my first post.

Like I said, when the onboard computer is shown to be off, and by varying amounts, any conclusions drawn based on what it says are a waste of breath. It's not consistently off by 1MPG. If it were, then maybe you could watch it and draw some conclusions. But, when it's spot-on at one fill-up and off by 2 MPG the next fill-up and off by 1 MPG the next and then 1.5, and then spot-on again, looking at what it says for individual fill-ups is useless.

And, even if you hand-calculated, comparing the results of 3 or 4 or 5 individual fill-ups is also not a basis for any conclusions that are strongly supported. The variables at each fill-up are too great. Did you fill to the same level? Was the truck perfectly level each time? And then, how much of the previous gas was still left in the tank, so what was the real octane of the gas you were driving with?

When you put those two things together, any conclusions drawn are about as valid as me looking out my window right now and saying the sky is grey and grass is brown. The conclusion may be perfectly correct - there's just no actual proof.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fair enough. I reckon I was probably more heavy on the gas pedal those first few miles, too. I checked the mileage on 89 for the period from 3000 (approx) on the odometer going forward.

On 89, after 3000 miles of break-in, I did 4065 miles and used 269 gallons. That is 15.1 MPG. Same as what I have been getting since I switched to 87.

I addressed those questions in my first post.

Like I said, when the onboard computer is shown to be off, and by varying amounts, any conclusions drawn based on what it says are a waste of breath. It's not consistently off by 1MPG. If it were, then maybe you could watch it and draw some conclusions. But, when it's spot-on at one fill-up and off by 2 MPG the next fill-up and off by 1 MPG the next and then 1.5, and then spot-on again, looking at what it says for individual fill-ups is useless.

And, even if you hand-calculated, comparing the results of 3 or 4 or 5 individual fill-ups is also not a basis for any conclusions that are strongly supported. The variables at each fill-up are too great. Did you fill to the same level? Was the truck perfectly level each time? And then, how much of the previous gas was still left in the tank, so what was the real octane of the gas you were driving with?

When you put those two things together, any conclusions drawn are about as valid as me looking out my window right now and saying the sky is grey and grass is brown. The conclusion may be perfectly correct - there's just no actual proof.
And just to be clear for everyone reading this, I’m not at all saying that the difference the computer detected is an accurate/guaranteed 2mpg difference. My point is that the computer, without fail, detected a difference in fuel flow between the two Octanes, which let me know that my particular truck prefers 89 and not 87. How much of a difference it actually is does not matter to me. If it likes it, it gets it. That’s all I’m saying.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manufacturer recommends 89 (Midgrade/Plus).

I bet they have a lot of science and data behind that.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are less than 10,000K Kilometers and are using remote start then you probably won't get above 14 MPG. I notice when I use remote start I drop my MPG at least 2 MPG average

Can you explained more on this? I'm always used remote start because i don't want to seat in the cool/hot car.

RichT

Reaction score
Remote start is meaningless, the time left idling is the factor.

I remote start mine all the time, then I immediately walk out of my house, get in and leave. Has nothing to do with anything.

(its obviously a pet peeve of mine these blanket "remote start = significantly less fuel economy" comments)

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you explained more on this? I'm always used remote start because i don't want to seat in the cool/hot car.

Remote start is getting 0 MPG while it is running since you aren't moving any distance, so the average MPG drops. The truck computer calculates the running engine time with fuel spent with no distance travelled.

The 10,000 K thing is just still mileage not stabilizing due to the vehicle break in period.

Users who are viewing this thread