5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Console Safe...

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, now I'm bummed. It seems they only designed the safe to allow tray functionality with NON-LIMITED OR LONGHORN consoles. So even the lower safe won't work with Limited or Longhorn consoles. It fits, but won't allow the tray to slide. This is frustrating.

Well that sucks...

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, definitely a deal breaker for me. They said they may release a smaller one (3rd size), but at least 2 months away.

Yeah... I certainly don't want to lose that functionality... guess we will see who gets one to market first...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yep, definitely a deal breaker for me. They said they may release a smaller one (3rd size), but at least 2 months away.
That's pretty boneheaded. Why would they not do that out of the gate? Thanks for looking into this (and being a beta tester).

cjmst23

Reaction score
Here is a message they asked me to post on their behalf :

Lock'er Down purchased the Standard 2019 Ram 1500 center console to design the safe LD2078. After having installation issues, we have found that the sliding tray for the Longhorn and the Limited are deeper because of the retractable doors for the cup holder. We had no idea there was any difference.
This model WILL ONLY FIT with a standard console for the Laramie, rebel, Big Horn and Tradesman.
It WILL NOT Work in the Longhorn or the Limited. We will have to re-design the shorter safe -1in and they will be ready in 2 months.
We are truly sorry for any inconvenience this has been for our wonderful customers that have been patiently waiting. Please call us if you have any questions. (210) 497-2277
-Your Lock'er Down Family

hooah09

Reaction score
So, they ARE saying that it will work in a Lonestar?

Yes. The current model will work in a Lonestar.

I have a safe on order with them as well, just got off the phone with the company. They are calling all who ordered to determine what trim Ram we have. The Longhorn and Limited trims (the ones that have the sliding tray with the sliding covers over the cup holders) have a tray that is slightly deeper than the standard sliding tray.

chucka

Reaction score
I just got the call also, luckily for me it will fit mine. They said it will be shipping out today. woohoo!!
my last safe from them got here overnight, so hopefully I will be installing tomorrow after work. (i'm only a few hours away from them)

cjmst23, I'm assuming that's why the original one they sent you didn't fit?

cjmst23

Reaction score
I just got the call also, luckily for me it will fit mine. They said it will be shipping out today. woohoo!!
my last safe from them got here overnight, so hopefully I will be installing tomorrow after work. (i'm only a few hours away from them)

cjmst23, I'm assuming that's why the original one they sent you didn't fit?
Yep... Spot on!
I have A LIMITED and they (or me) didn't realize there were differences. You guys should be fine and it's a nice safe.... Well built!

SlowArrow

Reaction score
My truck has the Laramie trim, and I have been wanting to add a secure lock box. After reading through this thread, I placed my order with Lock’er Down for the Extreme (Low Version) Safe with the upgraded electronic lock. Got the “Black Friday” discount (use code “lockerdown”) and got $70 off and a couple of free swivel gun magnets. Now I’m thinking about the SUVault.........

geotex1

Reaction score
My truck has the Laramie trim, and I have been wanting to add a secure lock box. After reading through this thread, I placed my order with Lock’er Down for the Extreme (Low Version) Safe with the upgraded electronic lock. Got the “Black Friday” discount (use code “lockerdown”) and got $70 off and a couple of free swivel gun magnets. Now I’m thinking about the SUVault.........

I did the same package deal! Loved my Lock'er down in my 2014, which I already sold to a fellow at my gun club to cover 2/3 the cost of the new one. Great quality, great support, and LEOs and Vets always get 10% off! Hope they take care of you guys with the slide cover soon!

chucka

Reaction score
Got it. I have it about half installed now. Need to screw it in and cut the rubber Mat to go back in the front part of the console
Will finish up after the kiddo goes to bed

Attachments

• 7BE5EA6E-A33B-4D33-95CA-B3CC55D260CE.jpeg
    7BE5EA6E-A33B-4D33-95CA-B3CC55D260CE.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 403
  • C1BABD28-24A4-45C7-91FB-2BC55467403A.jpeg
    C1BABD28-24A4-45C7-91FB-2BC55467403A.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 395

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
Got it. I have it about half installed now. Need to screw it in and cut the rubber Mat to go back in the front part of the console

Can you provide a pic of what you have to cut out of the rubber mat ?

jkratze1

Reaction score

Looks nice so far. Can't wait for the finish photos.

SlowArrow

Reaction score

Mine comes in this Thursday. I’d love to know how long the install is, any tricks you learned, and some pictures of the cutouts. Trouble with being the first one to get something complete is everyone wants to pick your brain about it. Anything you could offer would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.

chucka

Reaction score
Here you go.....
First of all, I broke the clips off the plastic tabs in the side wall that you are supposed to take off, not worried about it because there is no reason to put back on.
it screws down using 2 holes on the back of the safe, and 2 on the bottom. I tried showing pics of that.
It fits very well and I am very happy with the fit of it.
In these pics the screws are not in yet, FYI

Attachments

• IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 376

SlowArrow

Reaction score
Excellent! Looks straight forward enough. Thanks for the information

laminad

Reaction score
Here you go.....
First of all, I broke the clips off the plastic tabs in the side wall that you are supposed to take off, not worried about it because there is no reason to put back on.
it screws down using 2 holes on the back of the safe, and 2 on the bottom. I tried showing pics of that.
It fits very well and I am very happy with the fit of it.
In these pics the screws are not in yet, FYI

Nice Install. Just got done with my install in my Big Horn.

I only removed the cargo divider that flips up and down. I didn't even remove the rubber mat nor the side clips, because I test fit mine and my slider worked perfectly. I got the regular, dial lock version - so I'm assuming your fancy lock is just a little bit more proud and would require the mat cutting. Total install time was 10 minutes and that includes resetting the combination.

I really love this safe and Lock'er down customer service has been fantastic. It's a bummer that there are different clearances with the limited models, but that's the growing pains of a next gen vehicle. I'd argue lock'er down did a fantastic job of handling the issue thus far.

chucka

Reaction score
Not much difference in the height of the dial lock and the fancy lock I got. Haha maybe a few mm’s.
Sorry. Didn’t have anything to measure with except my finger

Attachments

• 8D1624C8-BAE5-46E2-8028-55D5934E7811.jpeg
    8D1624C8-BAE5-46E2-8028-55D5934E7811.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
  • 870CE896-A70D-4A1E-88B2-D9565319CF21.jpeg
    870CE896-A70D-4A1E-88B2-D9565319CF21.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 270

Users who are viewing this thread