5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Console Safe...

dbogcpa

Reaction score
I was the 1st gen5 customer so they sent me the prototype
$150 for an electronic lock seems very unrealistic and the quality of the manual lock is lacking. My lock numbers wont even turn most of the time, makes the safe virtually useless. I’m just highly disappointed in the whole product as it is.

maddog49

Reaction score
I got a message from the owner addressing these concerns. This exxtreme version does make it a more secure, for sure. Although I'd prefer bolting to metal, the version I have does look pretty solid and I am comfortable putting firearm/valuables inside. Here was the feedback:

the exxtreme lid uses our standard 12 gauge standard lid that had a 10
gauge plate welded over the top of it. This plate covers the pry points
on the sides and front of the safe.

While I think its secure what does the lid have to do with the screws being attached the the plastic? The lid is just one are that can be compromised. I wonder why the also dont make it secure on all sides instead of just the top.

cjmst23

Reaction score
While I think its secure what does the lid have to do with the screws being attached the the plastic? The lid is just one are that can be compromised. I wonder why the also dont make it secure on all sides instead of just the top.
The safe is intended to discourage the "smash and grab" theif from gaining easy access to your loaded weapon along with your $100, ear pods and kid's iPad. It also keeps non-thieves (kids and passengers) from weapon access.

This safe certainly does that job very well.

jkratze1

Reaction score
For those with the electronic lock, if the lock is smashed by a bad guy or malfunctions, how would you get into the safe? Is there a key backup?

Last edited:

ecb12

Reaction score
FYI - for those that break the clips for the flip up bulkhead, they are available should you want to ever return to stock. I can post part numbers if there's demand. Retail they go for about $9 each side.

Do you have the part number for the other clips in the console? The OEM mopar safe requires your to break these off too.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_5554_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_5554_LI.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 157

ajosephngs

Reaction score
I think these look good for someone just needing to dump a ccw in before entering a gun free zone. I’m still trying to find a rapid deployment option. I’m really impressed with vaultek options for the home. Hopping for a nice car option soon. A barrel down quick deployment option would be awesome.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
Great - how does it mount ? To metal or plastic part of console? /QUOTE]

No idea, I didn't ask that many detailed questions. I figured if I waited this long, I could wait another week until I can see it on the website. For 1/2 the cost of the lockerdown one, I am willing to wait it out !

jkratze1

Reaction score
I ordered my Locker Down console safe and it arrived this week but I could not install it until this weekend. I did not want to break the clips, but I broke them. I did not want to use the self-tapping screws into the plastic console, but I did anyways. I am happy I did though. It is a really nice safe and the electronic lock is easy to use and responsive. Yes it was expensive but I feel the made in USA quality is there. It fits my Walther PPS M2 in a holster and a spare magazine plus room to spare.

20190309_223804.jpg

20190309_223747.jpg

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my Locker Down console safe and it arrived this week but I could not install it until this weekend. I did not want to break the clips, but I broke them. I did not want to use the self-tapping screws into the plastic console, but I did anyways. I am happy I did though. It is a really nice safe and the electronic lock is easy to use and responsive. Yes it was expensive but I feel the made in USA quality is there. It fits my Walther PPS M2 in a holster and a spare magazine plus room to spare.

View attachment 18451

View attachment 18452

Also installed my Lock’er Down yesterday and a BedRug mat with the hinged tailgate mat. Both good products and I like the fact they’re made in the USA.

amazing210

Reaction score
got and installed the Tuffy console safe today. Awesome, fits perfect, exactly like locker down, key lock, for half the price. 145.00 shipped. They do not have it on their website yet, but if you call them, they will sell you one. It sits right at the "maxfill" line, so its a little bigger, cup holder slides back with no issues all the way. No breaking tabs or cutting the mat.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
got and installed the Tuffy console safe today. Awesome, fits perfect, exactly like locker down, key lock, for half the price. 145.00 shipped. They do not have it on their website yet, but if you call them, they will sell you one. It sits right at the "maxfill" line, so its a little bigger, cup holder slides back with no issues all the way. No breaking tabs or cutting the mat.
How is attached to the truck? Can you post installation instructions that came with your unit? What truck model do you have?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Some photos would be very appreciated! Can't really imagine what it would look like since their previous model mounted so differently in the 2018.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
Would you be able to provide any pictures ? I have been waiting for the Tuffy version of the console safe.

amazing210

Reaction score
it is the exact same as locker down. If you have seen the million locker down pics on here, then you know what the tuffy looks like mounted in the truck. I have a laramie. This will not fit with the limited or the laramie longhorn as they do not have the "lower" profile version yet.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
Got mine in today, as amazong210 mentioned simple and fits perfect. No tab breaking, no mat cutting. Glad I waited and saved some coin.

grinch72

Reaction score
For those with the electronic lock, if the lock is smashed by a bad guy or malfunctions, how would you get into the safe? Is there a key backup?

Update: I called the company and they said that there is no backup key. If the electronics malfunction and no longer works, then the owner of Locker Down knows of a way to get into the safe which he can walk a customer through.
It only takes one person the let that info out on onto the Internet and then everyone knows how to get into your safe. No thanks!

Boldie24

Reaction score
Has anyone installed in a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel? Looks like a great option!

Users who are viewing this thread