5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Start/Stop error

Sam_PB

Reaction score
Similar issue on my 2021 Laramie. Start/Stop unavailable along with the traction control. Turn it off makes it go away, but came back once. Currently the light is off. No shutter. Dreading sending it to a dealer with only 265
Curious to know if the light came back on? Have you had any issue since

rubrduk

Reaction score
my 2021 has had the Start/Stop light occasionally popping on at random intervals

11k miles

The truck still idles end drives fine, no misfires or such

however I was sitting at a traffic light 🚦, start/stop was on (engine was off) and the warning light popped on and my truck would not restart

finally got it started after 3-4 minutes after sitting in Los Angeles traffic and waving people around, and for a nano second the message screen flashes something about “check hood”

fast fwd: I take it in for service, the dealer replaced the hood closed sensor, but found the problem still existed…so they replace a few other things including the eTorque generator/electric motor

5 days later I get the truck back, and an hour into my day the warning is back on

So I search and I find this forum post and some similar on the other Ram forums, also some posts on lemon 🍋 groups that seem to have similar symptoms

So before anything else, I contacted Ram Cares and they opened a case. I wanted to make sure this was appropriately escalated to have manufacturer technicians involved.

The local dealer (not who I bought from) has been pleasant to work with, they scheduled a new appointment and have been giving basic updates (they obviously have no idea what the problem is)

The truck has been at the dealer 10 days total now

Ram Cares rep has been checking in regularly with me, he is pleasant as well…the customer service has been very good 👍

He stated they had replaced many parts,…but I’m a clever guy and know they are going down the list and just replacing all the things now in hopes of locating the issue

They still don’t know what the problem is

Im hoping for the best, I like my truck…but at minimum I’m going to request a complimentary 125k extended warranty so this doesn’t pop back up the minute my warranty is up

I’ve already had to cancel a family summer camping trip because I don’t have my truck to pull our RV travel trailer, and it’s near impossible and expensive to rent a truck with towing package

F84FCEB5-0EBA-40D5-B487-59776DB5E3D7.jpeg

Last edited:

chris15005

Reaction score
Just picked my '21 Bighorn up from the dealer had the service start stop system and service stability control system error since 6 miles on the odometer. They found a vacuum line and check valve bad so far so good hasn't came on since I picked it up.

Service report reads as follows :
Verified CC no lights currently on but DTC B2588B vacuum sensor is reading -18.7. Actuated and sensor read 21.2 no pinched or cracked lines. Removed hose line and found a faulty check valve removed and replaced working as designed.

Part # (F) 4582000AE (Hose)

PXL_20210721_025818245.jpg PXL_20210714_203513390.jpg PXL_20210714_203519395.jpg

rubrduk

Reaction score
Just picked my '21 Bighorn up from the dealer had the service start stop system and service stability control system error since 6 miles on the odometer. They found a vacuum line and check valve bad so far so good hasn't came on since I picked it up.

Service report reads as follows :
Verified CC no lights currently on but DTC B2588B vacuum sensor is reading -18.7. Actuated and sensor read 21.2 no pinched or cracked lines. Removed hose line and found a faulty check valve removed and replaced working as designed.

Part # (F) 4582000AE (Hose)

was your ESC error caused by that also?

chris15005

Reaction score
was your ESC error caused by that also?
Yes no lights or errors have came back on since I picked it up they were pretty good about coming on within 5 minutes of starting the truck. There were no other issues other than the lights and the stop start not working no misses no random shut off's or not starting Etc.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Update:

The truck was in at dealer again, this for just over 3 weeks

they replaced the hood sensor (again) and replaced the pcm

then I was told it was driven 40-50 miles with no errors and it’s now fixed

I take off work early, rearrange my life, then go pickup the the truck,…I get less than a mile away, and the start/stop warning is back on and turned around right back to the dealer.

so now the truck is at the dealer again for the same problem a third time

I’ve already had to cancel one of our big summer family camping trips because I have no vehicle to tow my trailer, and if this causes our next family camping trip issues, I’m going to be pissed

a summer of ruined family vacations due to a brand new truck

0BFA75BA-8D47-4C2B-BDB0-FD2A2FFF7F7B.jpeg

rubrduk

Reaction score
Similar issue on my 2021 Laramie. Start/Stop unavailable along with the traction control. Turn it off makes it go away, but came back once. Currently the light is off. No shutter. Dreading sending it to a dealer with only 265 miles.
Did they find a resolution to your issues?

what was the outcome?

Shamrocksrule25

Reaction score
so having the same issue 2020 1500 bighorn, check engine light blinks and dings also feels like it is misfiring. Have an appointment Wednesday with dealership to hopefully get it fixed.

brian-pdx

Reaction score
so having the same issue 2020 1500 bighorn, check engine light blinks and dings also feels like it is misfiring. Have an appointment Wednesday with dealership to hopefully get it fixed.
My 2020 Rebel went in for the same error today. ~7k miles. Just started and It doesn't pop up every time I drive. Just every other time or so. No drivability issues (runs fine). Dealer said it may take a few days to find the problem?!?

rubrduk

Reaction score
from my research, the misfiring may be a different problem...I saw some posts that lead to injectors being replaced

brian-pdx

Reaction score
My 2020 Rebel went in for the same error today. ~7k miles. Just started and It doesn't pop up every time I drive. Just every other time or so. No drivability issues (runs fine). Dealer said it may take a few days to find the problem?!?
They just called and said that it is the hood latch and the part will be replaced tomorrow. They also replaced the driver's side floor mat for that recall. Here's hoping it fixes the problem.

rubrduk

Reaction score
mine has been in 3 times for the exact same problem, still unsolved, for a total of more than 30 business days

You should call FCA and start a case now so everything has maximum effort to solve the issue.
  • FCA Customer Care 1-800-334-9200
  • The Chrysler Case Management telephone number: 1-844-378-0597

In my research, there are some dealers that are noticeably less responsive than others...getting an FCA case started immediately is my strongest recommendation. It doesn't help there are significant supply chain issues with getting parts...so just get your rental/loaner car and let them work for your money and satisfaction.

The local service/dealer, Ellis CJDR in Glendale, CA has been quite reasonable to work with on this...I have no problem naming them because I've had very good communication and support from them so far in addition to FCA Level 2 customer care.

Granted, the truck is still not fixed and it's been a significant inconvenience not having my truck, but from reading other people's experiences...it could be far worse.

rubrduk

Reaction score
They just called and said that it is the hood latch and the part will be replaced tomorrow. They also replaced the driver's side floor mat for that recall. Here's hoping it fixes the problem.
hahaha....:ROFLMAO:😂🤬

sorry,...they've replaced my hood latch sensor twice now, in addition to many other parts. The hood latch sensor is the first part they replace on all of the others I've read about with this same issue, so I wish you luck!

Check for scratches and chips around the engine bay panel that covers the hood latch, they scratched mine up pretty good around each plastic rivet...so I'm going to have them replaced once they are finished. The scratches may be small, but not something you should have to live with on a brand new truck.

IMG_3891.JPG

Last edited:

brian-pdx

Reaction score
hahaha....:ROFLMAO:😂🤬

sorry,...they've replaced my hood latch sensor twice now, in addition to many other parts. The hood latch sensor is the first part they replace on all of the others I've read about with this same issue, so I wish you luck!

Check for scratches and chips around the engine bay panel that covers the hood latch, they scratched mine up pretty good around each plastic rivet...so I'm going to have them replaced once they are finished. The scratches may be small, but not something you should have to live with on a brand new truck.

View attachment 103164
Thank you. I will check that tomorrow when I get the truck.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Latest updates...

The truck is back at dealer service, 4th time for the same problem with no improvements and 40 plus days in service

Repair attempt #1
• replaced MGU (Motor Generator Unit - aka eTorque alternator)
• PCM reflash
• TCM reflash
• replaced Hood Sensor

Repair attempt #2
• replaced PCM
• replaced Hood Switch (again)

Repair attempt #3
• replaced 68488627AA front wiring harness

Repair attempt #4
• just dropped off the truck for service attempt #4

@RamCares, can you guys help me with this?! I already have a case number but it appears parts are just being replaced at random in hopes of solving the problem

Goofyshit

Reaction score
Well it looks like I’m having similar issues on as my 2020 Ram Rebel approximately 16000 miles. No issues until now. It’s been running excellent.

My check engine light and start/stop light came on with engine running really rough the other day. Also had a slow leak in one of my tires. Installed the factory spare and the dash lit-up as the sensor in the spare was not working. It kept lighting up to let me know there was an issue with the sensor. Not sure it had anything to do with the engine but thought I would throw it out there.

The dealership scanned it and said number 4 cylinder not firing and could also smell fuel? The next day they said the mechanic tried rotating plugs, plug wires and I believe fuel injectors to try get number 4 to fire. Unfortunately nothing worked. I was happy they squeezed us in for an initial diagnostic.

Today is day 4 as no mechanics working over the weekend and they are very busy but will rotate it in.

They also said they will probably start an engine tear down as soon as it approved? Which makes me nervous as the truck is still new! Hopefully they check out other options before that.

What really sucks is the vehicle is in up in San Luis Obispo and I’m hear in Orange County. 4 1/2 hours away!

Unfortunately the dealership does not offer a rentals. I’m on my way back to to them tomorrow to drop off the rental car we purchased and catching a ride back home to Orange County. Rental companies are short on vehicles and charge hefty fees for turning them in at different locations.

It looks like from this forum and others with similar issues, it’s going to be quite awhile for them to fix it especially if they start tearing the motor apart?

Not complaining, just bummed..

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it looks like I’m having similar issues on as my 2020 Ram Rebel approximately 16000 miles. No issues until now. It’s been running excellent.

My check engine light and start/stop light came on with engine running really rough the other day. Also had a slow leak in one of my tires. Installed the factory spare and the dash lit-up as the sensor in the spare was not working. It kept lighting up to let me know there was an issue with the sensor. Not sure it had anything to do with the engine but thought I would throw it out there.

The dealership scanned it and said number 4 cylinder not firing and could also smell fuel? The next day they said the mechanic tried rotating plugs, plug wires and I believe fuel injectors to try get number 4 to fire. Unfortunately nothing worked. I was happy they squeezed us in for an initial diagnostic.

Today is day 4 as no mechanics working over the weekend and they are very busy but will rotate it in.

They also said they will probably start an engine tear down as soon as it approved? Which makes me nervous as the truck is still new! Hopefully they check out other options before that.

What really sucks is the vehicle is in up in San Luis Obispo and I’m hear in Orange County. 4 1/2 hours away!

Unfortunately the dealership does not offer a rentals. I’m on my way back to to them tomorrow to drop off the rental car we purchased and catching a ride back home to Orange County. Rental companies are short on vehicles and charge hefty fees for turning them in at different locations.

It looks like from this forum and others with similar issues, it’s going to be quite awhile for them to fix it especially if they start tearing the motor apart?

Not complaining, just bummed..
Contact Ramcares and request rental coverage. They should give you up to 30 days.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, will check into this..
They've offered the same to me in the past. It's a reimbursement though, they don't reserve the car for you.

And yes in my experience they have held up their end of the offered reimbursements. I've gotten three checks from RAM for various things (including rental reimbursement).

Goofyshit

Reaction score
Update:
One week to the day! Service advisor said they can’t find the issue, so the mechanic is completing his diagnosis report and sending them up the chain.

This isn’t looking good. Can anyone explain how the process goes from here?

Users who are viewing this thread