5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Start/Stop error

Shell

Reaction score
Just took my 2019 ram 1500 tradesman in for the same reason states noting is wrong with my vehicle there are no known recalls and I now have a diagnosis bill of $100 and nothing was fixed
01ffa6db4fc67c1a39e209a7749804ba.jpg
c834410c2da901535883e8f9daeb5129.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just took my 2019 ram 1500 tradesman in for the same reason states noting is wrong with my vehicle there are no known recalls and I now have a diagnosis bill of $100 and nothing was fixed

I'd be furious. I would contact FCA or RamCares and attempt to at least get a refund of that amount. If not...take it back and tell them to fix it, even if you have to leave the truck with them for a day or two.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hello @Shell
We are very sorry to hear about this poor experience. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may look into this further for you, thank you!

Kathryn
RamCares

gsxrdoug

Reaction score
This tricky little devil has happened to me several times but now at 2112 miles I have a check engine light the Circle A light and traction control off light. Not looking forward to going to the dealer. All reset at restart except the check engine light, but the others come back shortly after driving.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What ended up solving this for people? Battery?

Reaction score
Had this problem tonight. Left the bowling alley and auto stop/start service light came on. Truck felt shaky pulling out of parking lot. Made it home and turned it off and back on. The light came back on. Just hit 39,000 miles in my 2019 Laramie so I’m outta warranty. 🙄 really worried it’s something that’s gonna cost an arm and a leg as many of you had different occurrences and different outcomes to your fixes.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had this problem tonight. Left the bowling alley and auto stop/start service light came on. Truck felt shaky pulling out of parking lot. Made it home and turned it off and back on. The light came back on. Just hit 39,000 miles in my 2019 Laramie so I’m outta warranty. 🙄 really worried it’s something that’s gonna cost an arm and a leg as many of you had different occurrences and different outcomes to your fixes.
You’re out of bumper to bumper warranty but not powertrain of 60k I’d think the etorque falls under this. I ended up not taking mine in. Light went off the next day and hasn’t returned since.

Reaction score
Mine went away the next day. Then the check engine light went away the day after that. Then yesterday it did it again while in town. Went to the dealership where it was purchased and of course they’re booked up for 2 weeks. Now I have $50,000 sitting in the driveway that I can’t even drive. Pretty frustrating to say the least. What makes it worse is the dealer had never heard of the issue and everyone on here seems to have a different outcome. I sure hope it’s covered under warranty.

Bravo336

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie just threw the same codes. Start/stop service and check engine light. I had just filled up the tank and drove around 3 miles and parked. Everything was normal until I came out the store and started it up then all the errors came on. View attachment 56834
yes exact same screen image

horish

Reaction score
Had this exact same issue from the day I bought the truck, 2020 Laramie purchased in July. Start/stop becoming unavailable under various conditions, most often while idling (i.e. stop and go traffic, traffic lights, etc.). Occasionally a check engine light with code P0507, indicating higher than normal idle, would come on too. It turns out that the start/stop error was related to the P0507 code. In order to kick the check engine light, the truck had to be idling at 0 MPH at the higher idle for more than 30 seconds. The start/stop system was much more sensitive to that condition, causing the error without much more information. Luckily, there was a Star report related to the vacuum hose at the rear of the throttle body being installed incorrectly causing the higher than normal idle. Once the hose was installed correctly, the start/stop errors were fixed.

The start/stop system seems to require that a number of other systems are operating nominally. When one of those other systems go out of spec, start/stop become unavailable. For the longest time I was worried it was a problem with the system as a whole, luckily it was something as simple as a bad hose connection.

holmgb

Reaction score
Around 20,000 miles check engine light came on with stop/start unavailable message in center screen. Engine started running extremely rough. Dealership plugged into the computer and cylinder #3 was misfiring. Turns out it was a faulty fuel injector. Truck was fixed and returned in 24hrs. Shop told me this was the 4th one they have seen.

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 29

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Around 20,000 miles check engine light came on with stop/start unavailable message in center screen. Engine started running extremely rough. Dealership plugged into the computer and cylinder #3 was misfiring. Turns out it was a faulty fuel injector. Truck was fixed and returned in 24hrs. Shop told me this was the 4th one they have seen.
It's moronic to have the software display a user message that says to service stop/start system when it's another system that's causing the stop/start system to become disabled. The software is more than capable of displaying a more appropriate message when a sensor detects an out of parameter condition. Why can't car manufacturer's just have the dic display a message that says "misfire on cylinder #3", instead of using trouble codes that require a code reader and the internet to interpret? That was actually a rhetorical question. We all know the answer to that.

j_rider

Reaction score
Have you had any issues since the fuel injecter was replaced? I have this issue and have already got it diagnosed with no answer. The problem mysteriously went away at the dealership and a week later it is back. I will notify them about this forum and the fuel injector but i just want to know it fixed the issue.

Sam_PB

Reaction score
Having the same issue on my 2021 Bighorn Black Edition I thought I'd share here.
It started on 03/04 with the dreaded check engine light, shudder... took it to the dealership on 03/08 with 1800 miles on it. Diagnostic was cylinder 4 misfiring. They opened a STAR case and were told to replace the spark plugs (my understanding is that they're just parts changers). I got the truck back on 03/10, very next day, check engine light blinks about 20 times with loss of power/shudder, but then goes away after I cycle power few times. Called dealership, they said to bring it in on 03/16 as the light was not permanently on.
Took the truck back on 03/16. Diagnostic cylinder 4 misfiring. It was determined that the PCM needed to be replaced. It was ordered on 03/20 with 04/26 ETA, whaaaat? Yes you read it right, over a month. After couple phone calls to FCA, I was assigned a Case manager, who got it delivered in 2 days (kudos to him).
This second time, they had it in the shop for 16 days. Now after 24 hours, same issue happening again as if they're just throwing parts at this problem hoping it will disappear. I told the service advisor that it may be the fuel injector as I read thru this thread and few others. He shrugged me off, never on their report they mentioned checking injectors.
Calling the case manager on Monday before taking the truck in.... might even go to a different dealership as I really feel something is off with the one I've been dealing with.
I'll keep you guys updated.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having the same issue on my 2021 Bighorn Black Edition I thought I'd share here.
It started on 03/04 with the dreaded check engine light, shudder... took it to the dealership on 03/08 with 1800 miles on it. Diagnostic was cylinder 4 misfiring. They opened a STAR case and were told to replace the spark plugs (my understanding is that they're just parts changers). I got the truck back on 03/10, very next day, check engine light blinks about 20 times with loss of power/shudder, but then goes away after I cycle power few times. Called dealership, they said to bring it in on 03/16 as the light was not permanently on.
Took the truck back on 03/16. Diagnostic cylinder 4 misfiring. It was determined that the PCM needed to be replaced. It was ordered on 03/20 with 04/26 ETA, whaaaat? Yes you read it right, over a month. After couple phone calls to FCA, I was assigned a Case manager, who got it delivered in 2 days (kudos to him).
This second time, they had it in the shop for 16 days. Now after 24 hours, same issue happening again as if they're just throwing parts at this problem hoping it will disappear. I told the service advisor that it may be the fuel injector as I read thru this thread and few others. He shrugged me off, never on their report they mentioned checking injectors.
Calling the case manager on Monday before taking the truck in.... might even go to a different dealership as I really feel something is off with the one I've been dealing with.
Well one more time for the same issue and that meets lemon law requirements I believe??

Sam_PB

Reaction score
Well one more time for the same issue and that meets lemon law requirements I believe??
Not in the State of Florida. It's 3 times then a 4th final attempt after which it's officially a Lemon. I'm in touch with a Lemon Law attorney just in case the 3rd repair doesn't go well.
I'm starting to lose hope as it's getting ridiculous. When I took my truck in today then scanned it and it's the same error code P0304 misfiring.
Let's see what happens next

Stickarm

Reaction score
Similar issue on my 2021 Laramie. Start/Stop unavailable along with the traction control. Turn it off makes it go away, but came back once. Currently the light is off. No shutter. Dreading sending it to a dealer with only 265 miles.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Sam, we sincerely apologize that you're having this kind of experience! Were you able to get in touch with your case manager? If not, please PM your case number and we can request that they reach out to you!

Michelle
Ram Cares

Similar issue on my 2021 Laramie. Start/Stop unavailable along with the traction control. Turn it off makes it go away, but came back once. Currently the light is off. No shutter. Dreading sending it to a dealer with only 265 miles.

Hi Stickarm, have you also had a chance to see your local dealer to have that looked at? If you would like assistance while you're working with them please don't hesitate to send us a PM. We would be happy to assist you along the way.

Michelle
Ram Cares

Sam_PB

Reaction score
Quick update: I took the truck in on April 13th, got a call on the 16th that the wiring harness will be replaced. No updates since despite me calling the dealership every other day (service advisor out, direct to voicemail, service manager not returning my calls even I left him few messages). So finally yesterday I got someone on the phone who told me they have a long engine block on order with unknown ETA.
So 25 days and counting. One thing I'm sure of is that I'll NEVER EVER buy a Stellantis car again. The way the case was/is handled is just absurd.

Sam_PB

Reaction score
Update:

The nightmare continues..... Dealership received the long block on May 21st, put it in, problem of Cylinder 4 misfiring persists. They will now replace the engine wiring harness. Honestly, how can STAR team engineers have the tech replace an engine without ruling out a faulty harness, what a waste of time and resources.

The saga continues as I'm certain they're not even sure what the problem is / may be. They'll keep throwing parts at it until it goes away (if).

It's been 43 days today. This company is a TOTAL joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/