5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple CarPlay will not work now

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just try it again. I plugged the USB cable into the USB slot first, then the phone. It was on for about 10 mins and blanked out. I then unplugged the cable from the USB (not the phone) then replugged it back in and stayed on the entire time. I have no idea why or how it made a difference but it worked.
I tried it too, and it works. Great tip.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome, good to hear!
Update. The trick worked for a while and then the problem came back. I tried an ole, aftermarket non-Apple cord and it’s working. We’ll see if it works longterm. But it looks like the old, non-Apple cord is working where the actual Apple cord was bad. Go figure.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Update. The trick worked for a while and then the problem came back. I tried an ole, aftermarket non-Apple cord and it’s working. We’ll see if it works longterm. But it looks like the old, non-Apple cord is working where the actual Apple cord was bad. Go figure.

That is so weird. The problem has not came back for me at all. Been working fine, also using the the standard cable that came with my iPhone XS

diogo

Reaction score
I'm new here, guys.
I have the same issue that you all have.
It's frustrating.
Already tried all the tips and tricks that I read here. It didn't work.
So many people having the same problem, Ram should have a recall for this idk..
I have android and IOS either one doesn't work. This feature is one of the reasons that I bought this truck.
If they don't fix it I'm sure is the second and last RAM that I have.
I'm so pissed off.
Dropped off my truck at dealer today. I will let you guys know my outcome from this.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new here, guys.
It's frustrating.
I have android and IOS either one doesn't work. This feature is one of the reasons that I bought this truck.
I'm so pissed off.
Dropped off my truck at dealer today. I will let you guys know my outcome from this.
Hope they fix it for you. I bought a lightning cord and tried it. It didn’t work so I’m back to the old, non-Apple cord and it’s working okay. Still have glitches every now and then but it works most of the time. Let us know what they tell you.

maddog49

Reaction score
I'm new here, guys.
It's frustrating.
I'm so pissed off.
What was the truck manufacturer date and have they replaced the USB hub?

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
I'm new here, guys.
It's frustrating.
I'm so pissed off.
its your usb hub they HAVE to replace it TRUST ME!

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
Hope they fix it for you. I bought a lightning cord and tried it. It didn’t work so I’m back to the old, non-Apple cord and it’s working okay. Still have glitches every now and then but it works most of the time. Let us know what they tell you.

diogo

Reaction score

So guys.. bad news for me.
I had to take my truck 3 times back and forth to the dealership.
They say they cannot fix it. I was told they created a case with Star Center (which I have no idea what it is) and it can take months to come up with a solution.
Any thoughts about that?
Any place that I can call to complain about it?
It’s so frustrating. You pay 60k in a truck and they just look at you and say it’s nothing to be done.

diogo

Reaction score

I told them it could be the HUB.

They say they cannot fix it. I was told they created a case with Star Center (which I have no idea what it is) and it can take months to come up with a solution.
Any thoughts about that?
It’s so frustrating. You pay 60k in a truck and they just look at you and say it’s nothing to be done.

SacRebel

Reaction score
If the lightning cable doesn't seat properly into your phone you will be unable to connect or lose connection sporadically. Many times this can be attributed to the phone's lightning port being obstructed with debris.

Use a tooth pick and carefully clean out the lightning port of your iPhone. You will probably be surprised at the amount of compacted lint and dirt in there.

Try this before buying new cables as this is probably the issue for most.

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
I told them it could be the HUB.

Any thoughts about that?
It’s the hub they HAVE to replace it

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It’s the hub they HAVE to replace it
They told me the same thing at prior dealer. The next dealer fixed it with a software update. No more issues in the last six weeks (except the odd time when I had to unplug and plug back in, but it used to be every time, now it's once every ten times or so YMMV.

Bobby A

Reaction score
Looks like this thread is a little old. But I have a 1500 bighorn with the 8.4 nav screen that I bought this March. And for the first few months the car play worked fine. All of the sudden, no matter what phone charger usb, usb-c, or even the phone, the CarPlay won't start. The dealership doesn't know and I was wondering what the solutions were found or if there even is one.

Users who are viewing this thread