5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, Stellantis should have never gotten rid of the Hemi and went to the I6. Horrible decision.

That's a strawman and quite inaccurate.

The hemi needed to be replaced. I think we all agree on this. I don't hate the I6 despite how I may have come across in this thread, my issue with the hurricane is 2 parts:

- hurricane ONLY, no v8 option in the truck
- hurricane as used in the truck (doesn't have the duty cycle of a strong iron block v8)

Thats the basis of my viewpoint. I wouldn't care if hurricane was an option in a truck, if they had included a next gen v8 like Ford and GM do.

I also said (and still think) replacing the hemi with the i6 in a charger can do quite well there for the cheaper trims, for the older 700+ hp trims and the buyers who want that kind of thing, a v8 is still the better option.

BowDown

Reaction score
Yeah, Stellantis should have never gotten rid of the Hemi and went to the I6. Horrible decision.

That's open for debate and time will surely tell but the simple fact is that the hemi is indeed gone.
This is typical of dodge throughout their existence, never changing or continuing to innovate. Look how long the LA engines hung around.

GM has developed the LS and now moved to the LT line in the same time the Dodge has been using the HEMI with few changes

MT755

Reaction score
T
I don't see why there's an issue comparing a supercharged 5.7 to a turbocharged 3.0 I6? They are both modified with boost...no?

Too bad they didn't put direct injection in the Hemi, they could have saved millions over the Hurricane investment.

The peeps saying newer DI motors don't have carbon build up issues. Yeah, like I said, those have port and direct injection to keep it clean ( the Hurricane does not). But why do any research before stating an opinion.

Why would the UAW workers that build the Hurricane know anything about issues? Just sensationalized videos I posted that some can't take the time to actually watch.

The 5.7 worked well in my 2004 Ram 2500 4x4. Even had 2 mechanics comment that they were impressed with the power in it. Didn't even have a tune, just a CAI Hurricane. Hurricane

I’ve said it before but I think the carbon buildup on DI engine a myth, and way overblown.

Directly, I’ve personally seen inside 2 DI-only Ecoboosts including my own and they were both squeaky clean in the valves.

Anecdotally, I’m also active on other less squabbly EcoBoost forums where carbon buildup just isn’t a problem anyone has.

Oil changes are key and lack thereof will promote carbon buildup on any engine.

Now you might say turbo engines have other issues such as being overly complex, and I’d agree. Ask me why I’ve been inside 2 of them…
I have a vw 2.0T with di and I've had to clean the valves twice (165,000 miles). I use the recommended synthetic oil too.

MT755

Reaction score
Stellantis had to make a change and the Hurricane made sense to their overall platform of vehicles. They knew there would be a few people unhappy and and maybe a few of that small percentage would buy elsewhere. They also knew bringing a 540 hp truck to the market would bring people to ram. It was a calculated risk and the few that are gonna leave...bye bye. You can't make everyone happy... that's just life.
I too, would like to continue to trade every year for a hellcat trx but I can't. I'm not gonna ***** or cry, I'm a grownup and will move on just being happy to had once owned one.

Last edited:

dammitbobby

Reaction score
I'm shocked I tell you. My bum is flat on the floor. I was told tiny turboze would get better mpg, cure cancer, and bring fresh rain to a dry and thirsty land.
I’m a little surprised how much worse it was but overall it’s not too surprising. The engine is more powerful than the 6.2l plus at higher elevation it’s not losing nearly as much power but it’s gonna be in max boost longer which would mean it’s guzzling fuel.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
No, no one expects that and you stated your opinion. Here's where it turns; you continue to spend time in a thread about people wanting to buy the new truck/engine trying to tell them why the new engine is already a failure while spouting BS that exposes your clear lack of understanding on how engines actually work, you know, like your comment of the hurricane being complicated because it can "see" combustion.
You don't like the engine, cool, you stated your opinion. Move the F on then because cleary no one other than silver shares yours and his misinformed opinions.
I'm not F'ing anywhere, this is a open website, you don't like what I post, you can leave the thread.

I'm shocked I tell you. My bum is flat on the floor. I was told tiny turboze would get better mpg, cure cancer, and bring fresh rain to a dry and thirsty land.
:ROFLMAO:
We pretty much knew that the Hurricane wasn't going to get better mpg, it does make more power and cuts emissions by 50% with roughly the same mpg as before. So progress?

In the end, the Hurricane is a compliance engine to meet EPA standards, not CAFE. It also has hybrid potential baked in, which is another positive along with being able to fit into a larger range of vehicle types, like Jeeps for mainstream use.
Per the posted video the Hurricane was way worse, my 2020 gets 21.2 MPG proven hand calculated, if you want proof I've got it and can send it with a PM. Over 4K+ miles with all receipts and milage between the fillips, as well as the "lie-O-Meter reports.
Exactly, it simply performs better and makes more power with the same fuel consumption
Its not the same fuel consumption, if your going to bully members, get your facts right.
Fuel economy isn't the same thing as miles per gallon.
An engine making more power with the same fuel consumption of a lower power engine is more fuel efficient, ergo, economy.

Notice that I specifically did not say MPG. Another swing and a miss.

As for staying away from this thread, you failed that with your "im shocked" post
And I can sell you the London Bridge. :ROFLMAO:
And the screaming at the hurricane in the sky continues...
Posts 3 more times since deciding to stay away
Who are you to tell us to stay away, BTW, there is a sale on isle 5 on Cool Aid.
Not sure, but the 5.0L is emission compliant enough for Ford to keep offering until the end of the next gen Mustang, clearly very efficient when compared to their Ecoboost line. As we know, GM updated their V8s for the next gen, spending about 1 billion dollars, with the first of that compliant V8 coming on-line in 2028 in the new Corvette and then their trucks.

Totally agree on RAM not offering an all new V8, I blame Stellantis corporate culture that may not understand Americans well enough. The previous FIAT president understood American truck culture, stated it was like owning a horse for a cowboy, lol, not too far off.
The Hemi didn't go away because it won't meet the EPA standards, Stellantis was getting fined many dollars every year that they went over the COLA standard. In my opinion, (listen BowDown, its an opinion) they could have eliminated the Hemi in the Dodge lineup, that would have helped Ram trucks keep the Hemi for buyers that wanted the Hemi at the same time option the Hurricane. It would have been nice to see how many would option the Hurricane, so the Hemi could fall on the market on its own, but now were forced into it.

silver billet

Reaction score
I’m a little surprised how much worse it was but overall it’s not too surprising. The engine is more powerful than the 6.2l plus at higher elevation it’s not losing nearly as much power but it’s gonna be in max boost longer which would mean it’s guzzling fuel.

It's not more powerful though, the SO is basically on par with the 6.2 in terms of peak numbers.

The real takeaway there IMHO was how good the 5.0 is doing. I may have to rethink my thoughts on that engine now that they seem to have gotten the issues fixed.

Shame about what's its bolted too though. :(

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The Hemi didn't go away because it won't meet the EPA standards, Stellantis was getting fined many dollars every year that they went over the COLA standard. In my opinion, (listen BowDown, its an opinion) they could have eliminated the Hemi in the Dodge lineup, that would have helped Ram trucks keep the Hemi for buyers that wanted the Hemi at the same time option the Hurricane. It would have been nice to see how many would option the Hurricane, so the Hemi could fall on the market on its own, but now were forced into it.

CARB standard fine was from years previous, with Stellantis in the mix, they don't have to worry about buying carbon credits. Also, it's fuel economy is the same or worse than before (as you stated), so clearly the Hurricane wasn't chosen to improve their CARB status.

They stated it halved their emissions, which is something they couldn't do with the old 5.7L without the expense of completely redesigning it, like GM did with their small blocks, spending big money to make their V8s emission complaint. Also, the Hurricane is also more appropriately sized to fit in smaller platform vehicles in mainstream production, which you couldn't do with the 5.7L. Factor in it was designed from the beginning to have hybrid systems in the future, again something the 5.7L couldn't do.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm not F'ing anywhere, this is a open website, you don't like what I post, you can leave the thread.

Per the posted video the Hurricane was way worse, my 2020 gets 21.2 MPG proven hand calculated, if you want proof I've got it and can send it with a PM. Over 4K+ miles with all receipts and milage between the fillips, as well as the "lie-O-Meter reports.

Its not the same fuel consumption, if your going to bully members, get your facts right.

Who are you to tell us to stay away, BTW, there is a sale on isle 5 on Cool Aid.

Clueless

BowDown

Reaction score
CARB standard fine was from years previous, with Stellantis in the mix, they don't have to worry about buying carbon credits. Also, it's fuel economy is the same or worse than before, so clearly the Hurricane wasn't chosen to improve their CARB status.

They stated it halved their emissions, which is something they couldn't do with the old 5.7L without the expense of completely redesigning it, like GM did with their small blocks, spending big money to make their V8s emission complaint. Also, the Hurricane is also more appropriately sized to fit in smaller platform vehicles in mainstream production, which you couldn't do with the 5.7L. Factor in it was designed from the beginning to have hybrid systems in the future, again something the 5.7L couldn't do.

Not only that, their other problem is their main selling cars are all v8s. Their low emissions vehicles don't sell, The new hornet is an example of that.
Ford sells a lot of cars other than their V8 mustangs and V8 trucks, they can afford emissions wise to keep the v8s while Dodge simply cannot because they don't sell enough non-V8 cars because of a crap lineup

Last edited:

dammitbobby

Reaction score
It's not more powerful though, the SO is basically on par with the 6.2 in terms of peak numbers.

The real takeaway there IMHO was how good the 5.0 is doing. I may have to rethink my thoughts on that engine now that they seem to have gotten the issues fixed.

Shame about what's its bolted too though. :(
Correct I meant on par, was half thinking of the HO. The 5.0 is very impressive I just can’t picture myself driving a ford. But who knows if ram keeps ****ing around and not building my limited I may look into it if it’s a good enough deal. I wouldn’t pay the same money for a ram and a ford in my opinion ford has some nice things but the interior is stuck in 2011.

MT755

Reaction score

Talk about throwing a fit. All over 2 cylinders.

Last edited:

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
Talk about throwing a fit. All over 2 cylinder.
Those are the same guys getting their panties in a bunch for being called out for derailing the thread.

80+ pages of this discussion and something like 1/2 of the posts, if not more, are around the same group who keeps saying they’re going to take their ball and go home, yet keep coming back to whine some more.

Amazing how much attention someone demands every time they declare they’re not buying one.

Don’t buy it. No one else cares. You’re not convincing anyone else to not buy it.

There’s 2024s on the lot for those who want a hemi, and 2025s are orderable for those who do not.

Do what you want and stop trying to take a dump on those spending their money on how they want to.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
T

I have a vw 2.0T with di and I've had to clean the valves twice (165,000 miles). I use the recommended synthetic oil too.

This is true, Audi and VW still have a bad rap for coking valves. Funny thing is my naturally aspirated VW 2.5 also had to be cleaned, and it gets the same OCD-level oil changes as all my vehicles.

It’s all in the valve cover and PCV system design. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a car if it was DI only, but certainly there’s no guarantee either.

silver billet

Reaction score
Those are the same guys getting their panties in a bunch for being called out for derailing the thread.

80+ pages of this discussion and something like 1/2 of the posts, if not more, are around the same group who keeps saying they’re going to take their ball and go home, yet keep coming back to whine some more.

You must be new here.
Checks profile date.
Nailed it.

azzx

Reaction score
OK - back to the topic
total miles to date: 489
Took the 2025 for a drive to my cabin in northern AZ. Took it easy.
60% of the drive is uphill.
On the way up @ 60-75 MPH got 17 MPG
On the way down @ 60 - 75 MPH ended up with 24 MPG
* my 5.7 Hemi was 2MPG less up or downhill. Same route & driving habits.
Assume mileage will improve with more miles.
Even though I did not floor it, the pick and go is impressive, easy to get over 80MPH in 8th gear!
Miss the Hemi sound! this thing sounds like a swing machine.

The shocks / ride quality feels firmer than my 2019 (then my 2019 had 37K easy miles before her demise!).

Except for few nuances (posted elsewhere) don't have many complaints yet.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha. Yep. I've had F150s with the 2.7 and 3.5, along with a few Hemi powered trucks.

I could care less about fuel economy and have never driven 55 or 65 over long distances...

OK - back to the topic
total miles to date: 489
Took it for a drive to my cabin in northern AZ. Took it easy.
60% of the drive is uphill - so, 60% is down hill!
On the way up @ 60-75 MPH got 17 MPG
On the way down @ 60 - 75 MPH ended up with 24 MPG
* my 5.7 Hemi was 2MPG less up or downhill.
Assume mileage will improve with more miles.
Even though I did not floor it, the pick and go is impressive, easy to get over 80MPH in 8th gear!
Miss the Hemi sound! this thing sounds like a swing machine.

The shocks / ride quality feels firmer than my 2019 (then - it had 37K miles before her demise!).

Except for few nuances (posted elsewhere) don't have many complaints yet.
Nice review, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/