5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
You guys and this dipstick thing sound so silly. Grumpy over nothing but a simple change.

Then again, I bet when the car makers started replacing the manual crank starts with electric starters those people griped too saying well what if the battery dies?!

lol it’s all progress and change guys.

Shoot even most dirtbikes these days don’t even have a kick starter any more.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well my E90 didn't have a dipstick, and that is mid-2000s, never had any issues with it still working good.

My R170, which tells you the oil level either 1-2 quarts down or 1 quart above recommended, but also has a dipstick. Cool to have both options, but can live with either.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ohhhh, so now it’s the engine that’s not accurate, or maybe they just don’t know and write down anything for capacity? What if the dipstick itself is inaccurately marked?
No, there’s some truth to this. You know that when you drain fluids, regardless of procedure used, you never quite get everything out. So if you just blindly add whatever the manual says is capacity, you’ll overfill the oil, trans fluid, etc. I’m sure most of us check that - at least the first time or two that we change fluids on a new-to-us vehicle.

Scram1500

Reaction score
You guys and this dipstick thing sound so silly. Grumpy over nothing but a simple change.

Then again, I bet when the car makers started replacing the manual crank starts with electric starters those people griped too saying well what if the battery dies?!

lol it’s all progress and change guys.

Shoot even most dirtbikes these days don’t even have a kick starter any more.
Progress and change is all well and good until you live in a time and place where there is a warning not to eat tide pods

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, there’s some truth to this. You know that when you drain fluids, regardless of procedure used, you never quite get everything out. So if you just blindly add whatever the manual says is capacity, you’ll overfill the oil, trans fluid, etc. I’m sure most of us check that - at least the first time or two that we change fluids on a new-to-us vehicle.
You arent going to overfill your engine oil by adding in the quoted capacity. Unless you put the rain plug back in before it stops flowing out. Even if you don't change oil filter, being 1/2 qt "over" isn't going to hurt anything.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Thats why after changing the HP75 trans fluid, the book wants you to run and double check and correct fluid level if required at a specific temperature. The only problem is there's no dip stick to make it easy.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Good point, but how much does a starter cost to replace when bad. There were a few times when I was a kid and not a penny to my name, I had to push start my POC manual trans Capri.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I had the only one, but I saw a big horn night edition last night.
You may need to re-watch the video. The Hurricane was 2 seconds faster to 60mph than the Coyote V8. 6.54 vs 8.51
And that is with a truck that weights 700 lbs. more v.s the lighter aluminum Ford.

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
Good point, but how much does a starter cost to replace when bad. There were a few times when I was a kid and not a penny to my name, I had to push start my POC manual trans Capri.
I’m guessing that kid still isn’t going to be buying a loaded hurricane equipped RAM.

BowDown

Reaction score
Thats why after changing the HP75 trans fluid, the book wants you to run and double check and correct fluid level if required at a specific temperature. The only problem is there's no dip stick to make it easy.

No its not. Any time you drain the fluid from an auto tranmission, the valve body is drained and in some cases the TC and the trans cooler can lose fluid as well. The reason for the trans procedure is to refil the valve body, TC and trans cooler then recheck to ensure that you are now not low on fluid which you typically would be

MT755

Reaction score
You arent going to overfill your engine oil by adding in the quoted capacity. Unless you put the rain plug back in before it stops flowing out. Even if you don't change oil filter, being 1/2 qt "over" isn't going to hurt anything.

No its not. Any time you drain the fluid from an auto tranmission, the valve body is drained and in some cases the TC and the trans cooler can lose fluid as well. The reason for the trans procedure is to refil the valve body, TC and trans cooler then recheck to ensure that you are now not low on fluid which you typically would be

My VW DCT transmission fill procedure was to change the filter under the battery and then fill it from the BOTTOM using a pump to push the fluid up into it until it until it starts spilling back to the ground. That's the same thing to "check" it too. Fill it till it spills over. Crazy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My VW DCT transmission fill procedure was to change the filter under the battery and then fill it from the BOTTOM using a pump to push the fluid up into it until it until it starts spilling back to the ground. That's the same thing to "check" it too. Fill it till it spills over. Crazy.
My wife's Traverse trans folks from the top, but there is a plug you remove from rear of transmission. You fill it until it starts running out that hole. Generally how most transmissions without dipsticks are done. Especially manual transmissions.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So in an earlier post I mentioned I had yet to hear about an oil level sensor failing. Well someone posted in one of the Audi forums that his oil sensor failed. The car gave him a warning to "Please Add Oil Immediately". Fortunately for him, Audi's still have a dip stick tube and he had purchased a dip stick. So he was able to confirm his oil level was correct. Replacing the oil sensor was simple according to him, and with the new sensor the oil level is reported as full. I think Stellantis made a mistake not to include a dip stick tube like Audi did. Sensors do go bad, and with no back-up way to check oil level owners will likely suffer at least the pain of towing the truck to the dealership if the sensor fails. In the Audi owner's case the car is 15 years old. I'm no longer as forgiving about them removing the dip stick as I originally was, although it sounds like it might be something a guy could be pro-active about and replace the sensor at a certain point before it fails, as a preventive measure.

PetePA

Reaction score
So in an earlier post I mentioned I had yet to hear about an oil level sensor failing. Well someone posted in one of the Audi forums that his oil sensor failed. The car gave him a warning to "Please Add Oil Immediately". Fortunately for him, Audi's still have a dip stick tube and he had purchased a dip stick. So he was able to confirm his oil level was correct. Replacing the oil sensor was simple according to him, and with the new sensor the oil level is reported as full. I think Stellantis made a mistake not to include a dip stick tube like Audi did. Sensors do go bad, and with no back-up way to check oil level owners will likely suffer at least the pain of towing the truck to the dealership if the sensor fails. In the Audi owner's case the car is 15 years old. I'm no longer as forgiving about them removing the dip stick as I originally was, although it sounds like it might be something a guy could be pro-active about and replace the sensor at a certain point before it fails, as a preventive measure.
My dipstick failed after 13 years. The difference is that I never got an alert and my engine seized. I'll stick with the sensor.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dipstick failed after 13 years. The difference is that I never got an alert and my engine seized. I'll stick with the sensor.
Local friend has a 2020 Laramie and his dipstick tube broke on his truck with less than 20k miles, only reason he even noticed was he was investigating the oil drops on his deiveway

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Oh, thats good to know, I'll just check with the dip stick to confirm level when done. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• RAL