5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
do you think they’re actually saving money or was it just a design decision. That sensor can’t be cheaper than a dipstick.
The sensor is actually cheaper, but odds are, it was simply a design decision to finally get with modern technology times. Let’s not kid ourselves here- the vast majority of vehicle owners have never even pulled the dipstick out any of their vehicles.

The oil level sensor used on the hurricane engines:
IMG_0643.jpeg

The dipstick and tube for the ram 1500 hemi:
IMG_0644.jpeg
IMG_0645.jpeg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The sensor is actually cheaper, but odds are, it was simply a design decision to finally get with modern technology times. Let’s not kid ourselves here- the vast majority of vehicle owners have never even pulled the dipstick out any of their vehicles.

The oil level sensor used on the hurricane engines:
View attachment 183626

The dipstick and tube for the ram 1500 hemi:
View attachment 183627
View attachment 183628
Anyone who changes their oil would pull the dipstick even if that's not the owner though...
You can run a quart or 2 low for a while and "be ok" until you're not.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same reason we have tpms, email, outlook 365, smartphones, Netflix, internet, AI, etc. None of that was stuff we needed before we got it. But now, most of it is a necessity. The incentive is to keep ahead of the competition in the technology application race. Fall behind, and you're blockbuster video.
Not sure I’d include switching to an oil level sensor in your list but it’s your list so…

It’s interesting you included TPMS in that list. We have Firestone and Ford Explorers to thank for that. It likely would have come into existence but it was expedited because of the rollovers that were caused by faulty tires. And I don’t think it would have been mandated.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure I’d include switching to an oil level sensor in your list but it’s your list so…

It’s interesting you included TPMS in that list. We have Firestone and Ford Explorers to thank for that. It likely would have come into existence but it was expedited because of the rollovers that were caused by faulty tires. And I don’t think it would have been mandated.
How do you ever trust your fuel gauge? It's just a level sensor. No dipstick for that. No dipstick for transfer case or differential either. I'm surprised these trucks ever make it out of our driveways

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How do you ever trust your fuel gauge? It's just a level sensor. No dipstick for that. No dipstick for transfer case or differential either. I'm surprised these trucks ever make it out of our driveways
The fuel gauge moves all the time so you would know if it wasn't working.
Also never heard of a truck getting totaled because it ran out of gas (and bad fuel sensors do happen and people live with it knowing they can just keep topping off and manually track it). Add 15 quarts of oil to your truck and let me know how it runs.
Also as engines get older they tend to start burning oil, so better hope that sensor works, and if it doesn't then ???

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you have me confused with someone who has said they don’t trust the oil level sensors. I’m the one with the conspiracy theory about the reason for ditching dip sticks, remember? :ROFLMAO:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Add 15 quarts of oil to your truck and let me know how it runs.
If someone pours 15 quarts of oil into one of these trucks, that’s not going to have anything to do with an oil level sensor, or a dipstick (besides the one pouring the oil).
Also as engines get older they tend to start burning oil, so better hope that sensor works, and if it doesn't then ???
Then you pony up the $25 and replace it?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If someone pours 15 quarts of oil into one of these trucks, that’s not going to have anything to do with an oil level sensor, or a dipstick (besides the one pouring the oil).

Then you pony up the $25 and replace it?
Ifffff, you know it's bad.
I find sensors sometimes go and you don't realize until whatever it was sensing caused a problem. With oil that would hopefully be a burning smell and not a seized engine.
Also lets say you keep draining 6 quarts of oil for a change and putting in 7 and you don't burn any.

Without the dip stick after 3 oil changes you will be at 10 quarts of oil and have no idea?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I find sensors sometimes go and you don't realize until whatever it was sensing caused a problem. With oil that would hopefully be a burning smell and not a seized engine.
Also lets say you keep draining 6 quarts of oil for a change and putting in 7 and you don't burn any.

Without the dip stick after 3 oil changes you will be at 10 quarts of oil and have no idea?
If oil level sensors were new technology, or if they had a history of being a problem I would share your concern with them. But European manufacturers have been using them for well over 20 years and they haven’t shown that there are the kinds of issues you seem to be worried about.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If oil level sensors were new technology, or if they had a history of being a problem I would share your concern with them. But European manufacturers have been using them for well over 20 years and they haven’t shown that there are the kinds of issues you seem to be worried about.
It's just people making up reasons to hate on the Hurricane.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's just people making up reasons to hate on the Hurricane.
Again, you must have me confused with those hating on the hurricane. I don’t hate the hurricane. I think they have a lot of potential. And as an owner of an F150 eco boost I can say I’m sure they’ll be capable engines. I just don’t want one. I’m hating on Stellantis in general for not having any V8 option for us 1500 owners.

cpetku

Reaction score
Depends on the age of the vehicle, I've been burned by a faulty fuel sender before. I just replaced the cork float in my Model A a couple weeks ago since the ethanol caused it to saturate and sink. Thank god I could simply take the cap off and look inside the tank to see if it was full. Otherwise, I would've needed a dip-stick.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The average driver never checks there oil between changes, so the sensor vs dipstick argument is moot as far as the average driver.
If someone were that religious and meticulous about their oil levels, they’ll be using the level indicator in the dash frequently, and would realize a sensor failure in a reasonable timeframe, and address it promptly.

Say what? This is getting ridiculous, and really reaching for those last couple straws.
You drain the engine oil until it’s no longer coming out. It doesn’t matter how many quarts come out. You fill it with 7 quarts, and you now have 7 quarts (plus the minuscule amount that didn’t make it over the drain plug boss in the pan). Pretty simple stuff.

The bottom line is this:
Those that really don’t care for this engine, or the oil level sensor, won’t buy one, and won’t have to worry about any of this (or anything else in this thread for that matter).
Those that do buy this engine, I’m pretty sure they’re not going to have any issues getting oil changes, and keeping an eye on their oil level if they chose to do so.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the age of the vehicle, I've been burned by a faulty fuel sender before. I just replaced the cork float in my Model A a couple weeks ago since the ethanol caused it to saturate and sink. Thank god I could simply take the cap off and look inside the tank to see if it was full. Otherwise, I would've needed a dip-stick.
My first car was a ‘66 Chevelle. Someone once tried siphoning gas out of it and broke the sending unit for the fuel gauge. From that time on I literally used a stick as a dip stick to check how much gas I had. I was in high school at the time and couldn’t afford to fill the tank so I ran it on the bottom half of the tank. It’s amazing I only ran of gas four times. :ROFLMAO:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

What?
Why would you drain 6 quarts and refill with 7, you putting the oil plug back in while it's still draining?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Again, you must have me confused with those hating on the hurricane. I don’t hate the hurricane. I think they have a lot of potential. And as an owner of an F150 eco boost I can say I’m sure they’ll be capable engines. I just don’t want one. I’m hating on Stellantis in general for not having any V8 option for us 1500 owners.
No, was agreeing with you

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I've been wondering that for years with other vehicles. Hell, even Ram and Ford got rid of transmission dip sticks (Not sure about GM). There have to be better cost saving measures than that if it was done for financial reasons. I suspect they have other motivations for eliminating dip sticks.

I had the dealer service my HP75 as a cautionary reason, bought it used. Went on a 2K+ mile trip and asked if they could check the trans oil level, ya for $$$$$, I miss the dipstick.
Same reason we have tpms, email, outlook 365, smartphones, Netflix, internet, AI, etc. None of that was stuff we needed before we got it. But now, most of it is a necessity. The incentive is to keep ahead of the competition in the technology application race. Fall behind, and you're blockbuster video.

Well you have me on that issue. ;)
Pull the dipstick during/after an oil change? For what? Dump the oil, change the filter, add the required amount of oil, and done. No reason to over complicate anything.

I have never had an engine that accurate, with reported capacity vrs actual capacity.

Just more proof Fiat is screwing up our Ram trucks.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Serious and curious question about oil checking without a dipstick.
Usually I check the dipstick before starting the engine to get the proper reading.
With this new feature, do you have to remember to turn the dash on without starting the engine?
Or is it designed where the gauge works and the reading is valid whether the engine is running or not?

Users who are viewing this thread