5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Reading the 2025 RAM 1500 owners manual... It says 3.0L HO needs 91+ gas, while 3.0L SO is OK with 87. But there is this remark:
"The use of 91 or higher octane premium gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or under heavy load conditions such as while towing."

My gut feeling is that 3.0L SO on 87 will perform worse than 5.7L on 87. If I need to put 91 gas to get advertised power, it makes no finance sense comparing to HEMI.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the 2025 RAM 1500 owners manual... It says 3.0L HO needs 91+ gas, while 3.0L SO is OK with 87. But there is this remark:
"The use of 91 or higher octane premium gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or under heavy load conditions such as while towing."

My gut feeling is that 3.0L SO on 87 will perform worse than 5.7L on 87. If I need to put 91 gas to get advertised power, it makes no finance sense comparing to HEMI.
Your current owners manual also says 89 Oct is recommended for the Hemi to get optimal performance. So you were saying?

FloridaSun

Reaction score

I have a 2023 Wagoneer SO (Florida always hot here) ...I switch back and forth from 87 to 93 at Costco. It has a slight lag when the 87 in the tank when you hit the throttle. 93 not as noticeable.
I like the SO in the heavy Wagoneer and think the HO in the Tungsten will be a great engine with all that extra power.

pensfan

Reaction score
I always use 87 in my '16 Ram Hemi and it was the same in my '05 Hemi. Never a problem. The 3.0 better run fine on 87 or there will be a lot of pissed off owners.

pensfan

Reaction score
Saw my 1st '25 Ram on a dealer lot today, black Laramie Sport.
The billboard letters on the tailgate look as bad a s I thought they would. I would replace every emblem and badge with the black version. The wheels that some claimed were ugly, are in my opinion good looking in person. They are all black except for the machined edges. They look way better than all black wheels.
Raised white letters on the tires. They look horrible with these wheels. Ram must have got a deal on RWL tires.
It had the 3.0. A salesman came out the 1st thing he said was it is the new Hurricane engine. I told him I was not happy about not having a Hemi option.
I did not sit in it or take a test drive as I was on my way to the gym.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, I looked at one at the dealer and I like new new Laramie wheels. Although I think the wheel come from the wagoneer as I've scene the same wheel on certain wagoners. I wish Ram would just give you a black badge package like GM does. Not everyone wants a night edition but a lot of us want black badges.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I always use 87 in my '16 Ram Hemi and it was the same in my '05 Hemi. Never a problem. The 3.0 better run fine on 87 or there will be a lot of pissed off owners.
Mid grade is another .60/gallon here. Doesn’t make sense for me to run it in my Hemi unless I’m towing something really heavy which is very rare. 87 has been perfectly fine for darn near 300,000 miles on my last 3 Hemi’s. Interested to see if that will be the same for the Hurricane.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Mid grade is another .60/gallon here. Doesn’t make sense for me to run it in my Hemi unless I’m towing something really heavy which is very rare. 87 has been perfectly fine for darn near 300,000 miles on my last 3 Hemi’s. Interested to see if that will be the same for the Hurricane.

That's insane. The difference between regular and mid grade here is ~20¢. Premium is ~20¢ more.

MT755

Reaction score
Migrade is 60 cents more in iowa too. I was told it's due to only pumping 85 and/or 91 through the pipeline. So to get 89 or 87 (non ethonal) they mix 85 and 91. To get (87 or 88 ethonal), they mix ethonal with the 85 which is what most burn here that I've noticed.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
With regards to using higher octane when towing or using periodically, it is my understanding when using various octanes that system recalculates to run properly so it may take a few tank fulls in order for the engine to run optimally. As a result, does periodically swapping octane actually do anything?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Migrade is 60 cents more in iowa too. I was told it's due to only pumping 85 and/or 91 through the pipeline. So to get 89 or 87 (non ethonal) they mix 85 and 91. To get (87 or 88 ethonal), they mix ethonal with the 85 which is what most burn here that I've noticed.
Whiever told you that is an idiot

Jako

Reaction score
Whiever told you that is an idiot
Can you expand on your statement? Looking for the correct information.

Some info I have gathered:
Local station gets 87 and 93 delivered and is mixed at the pump.
Alcohol will raise the octane but has less BTUs so less mpg
Local station last I checked was about 50 cents more (maybe 60) for 89 vs 87
Blending 87 with higher octane (91 93) to get 89 was cheaper than pumping 89 at the same pump

100% gasoline (no alcohol, octane 91 I believe) has given me 24+ mpg (rated 21 mpg ) on the highway with my 5.7. First time I was only able to add 12 gallons on the fill up to my 26 gallon tank, 2nd time I believe 18, so I still had alcohol in the gas. I have a tendency to believe there is a diminishing return on 100% gasoline, for example 5% alcohol delivers the same mpg as 0% alcohol. I do know my mpg increased by about 10% or better (again highway) by adding pure gasoline. Not cost effective as it was about .60 more per gallon.

Have not reached a conclusion on octane and mpg as the variables change too much (no consistent conditions) for my driving habits. The few times I did try to attempt to vary the octane I got better mpg with 87 than 91, again I draw no conclusions from my personnel experience. My 2001 Dodge Ram SLT came with a tag that said to use 87 unless towing or carrying a load.

For the most part I use Top Tier gasoline, primarily Costco.

fishslayer

Reaction score
lower towing capacity is a deal breaker for me.. And I never buy the first year of a new design engine.. To get the full power ,those twin turbos will be pushing hard and making a lot of heat. Look whats happening to FORD turbo ecoboost when loaded.. Main bearing failures. I ll pass.. I love my HEMI E Torques.. Hate to see them go.

pensfan

Reaction score
yea, I looked at one at the dealer and I like new new Laramie wheels. Although I think the wheel come from the wagoneer as I've scene the same wheel on certain wagoners. I wish Ram would just give you a black badge package like GM does. Not everyone wants a night edition but a lot of us want black badges.
I looked at the Wagoneer site. The wheels are different than the Ram. The Ram is almost totally black except the outer edges.
It is ridiculous what Ram wants for the night Edition on a Laramie. It is 3400 plus you need to take the level 2 package. That is almost 6K over the base Laramie. The Level 2 has nothing in it that relates to trim color. Just more things I don't want or need.
The black package on the F150 Lariat is 1000. Once again Ram is price gouging.
If I would get the Laramie, I would go with the Sport and then buy black badges and letters to replace the factory chrome versions. It would be a lot cheaper than the Night Edition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread