5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's backwards. Turbos put out gobs of torque down low, some put out 90+% peak before 2000 rpms. NA engines take a long time to rev and reach peak power numbers.

These are not meant for towing.

If all I needed was to make small deliveries, carry my kids and equipment back and forth to school or get back and forth to a job site, sure. This is basically passenger car duty.

A turbo diesel does it off idle, like 1200 RPM vs a turbo gas engine. 90+% peak before 2000 rpm? No, maybe 2500-3000 but not 2000 rpm.

Diesels can spool a turbo up that low because their compression is much higher than a gas engine at 14-25:1 static compression before boost. That compression (its subsequent exhaust) is what spools the turbos up so fast making them suitable for towing. Again, this isn't in dispute

ram813ltd

Reaction score
I am most likely going to work with Mark Dodge. What do you think about the white leather on the Tungsten? Are you nervous it will stain like crazy?
leather doesn't stain just more visible when it gets dirty.

BowDown

Reaction score
NA need to rev to make power, doesn't mean its struggling anymore than a cummins which hits 2800 rpms with a redline of 3200 or whatever it is.

Perhaps towing a loaded trailer and timing it 0 to 60 is a better indication than "listen to it struggle". Nothing wrong the performance of gas engines pulling 10 to 15k. Far better than the diesels 20 years ago towing the same loads.

Needing to rev to 4500 rpm before any appreciable acceleration is achieved is wheezing and underpowered to me. For example, my 5.7 towed a 5k trailer with my car on it and got the job done. If I were doing that everyday, I'd say the 5.7 was a poor decision and that a 25/3500 turbo diesel was the better choice.

The hurricane in the 2025 1500 isn't going to be a poor performer; will everyone like and embrace it? No, that's clear but will it be a poor performing pairing in the 1500, probably not.
There's things I don't like and potential deal killers for me about the 2025, the hurricane engine isn't one

BowDown

Reaction score

I hear you and people say that but the indigo frost leather in my truck looks brand new.
I think it depends on what you do with the truck and how often you clean the interior

silver billet

Reaction score
A turbo diesel does it off idle, like 1200 RPM vs a turbo gas engine. 90+% peak before 2000 rpm? No, maybe 2500-3000 but not 2000 rpm.

Diesels can spool a turbo up that low because their compression is much higher than a gas engine at 14-25:1 static compression before boost. That compression (its subsequent exhaust) is what spools the turbos up so fast making them suitable for towing. Again, this isn't in dispute

The first gen chevy 2.7 makes 90% peak at 1500.

The reason turbos aren't used in heavy dutys has nothing to do with any of this. It's duty cycle and probably MPG to a lesser extent, they suck back fuel worse than a drunken sailor when towing.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
I am 50k in on my Limited with the ivory/blue interior...And it looks brand new...The secret: Don't drag your azz across the outboard bolster when getting in and out of the seat, use the running board.

dcchris311

Reaction score
Well someone from the Facebook groups has movement on their custom ordered 5.5th Gen Ram.

Last edited:

jonusko

Reaction score
Well someone from the Facebook groups has movement on their custom ordered 5.5th Gen Ram.

On Friday, I was notified that my custom order has been scheduled and is in the production queue. It’s a Laramie with a lot of packages.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We've gone through this. The 1500's are not "trucks", they are basically large cars and are designed for passenger car duty and light/infrequent recreational towing.
And yet you are complaining about engine options in a vehicle you say is just a passenger car, and not a real truck

silver billet

Reaction score
And yet you are complaining about engine options in a vehicle you say is just a passenger car, and not a real truck

Yes. Have you not read a thing?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Have you not read a thing?

Oh, Ive been reading you get beat up by many different people over your comments and talking around the issue, saying one thing, then contradicting yourself later in, then getting upset when you are called out on it, but never actually addressing the thing you were called out on

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
What?

I used to drag my 6k 24' enclosed trailer around with the 3.6L gas Jeep pickup. A Ram with a 6.4L Hemi would have made light work of it. I see guys all the time praising the new gas HD trucks and talking about how amazed they are at the pulling power.

The Ford 7.3 gas gets within 2 MPG of the diesel when towing 15k loads, and does so without DEF, 3 gallons of engine oil, fifteen coolers mounted all over the chassis, or $100 worth of fuel filters. It also runs on fuel that's less expensive and easier to find.

It's not 1994 anymore. These new high powered gas engines mated to 8 and 10 speed transmissions are no joke. I would go as far as to argue that they are a better option for 95% of HD truck owners. I'm currently driving a 6.7 Powerstroke, the most powerful engine you can possibly buy in any pickup truck and honestly if I buy another truck in a couple years it WILL be a gasoline truck.
That mpg statement is a large stretch lol. Must be the same logic used if you would have said that’s why all of todays semi’s are getting gas engines put in them 🤣

PetePA

Reaction score
Oh, Ive been reading you get beat up by many different people over your comments and talking around the issue, saying one thing, then contradicting yourself later in, then getting upset when you are called out on it, but never actually addressing the thing you were called out on
After reading everything, he either has trouble with logic or is a very successful Internet troll 😂

silver billet

Reaction score

I regret cleaning out my blocked users list the other day. Welp, back in the box you go.

silver billet

Reaction score
After reading everything, he either has trouble with logic or is a very successful Internet troll 😂

The logic is simple: the reason Ford doesn't put small turbo gas engines in their super duty trucks, is the same reason I won't buy a small turbo gasser in a half ton truck. That's the smallest amount of words I can use.

PetePA

Reaction score
The logic is simple: the reason Ford doesn't put small turbo gas engines in their super duty trucks, is the same reason I won't buy a small turbo gasser in a half ton truck. That's the smallest amount of words I can use.

Do you know someone that works at Ford?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I suspect phobia like this gives them fear of tanking sales.

Plus fleet managers eye repair costs - which is inevitably higher with turbos.
Though again I must make the distinction between reliability and repairability.

However a Powerbost Super Duty (with HD cooling stack) would be a job site dominator. 7.2kw for the crew, and all day AC without the motor running for the superintendent who never leaves the cab.

I suspect this is exactly what the F200 name was trademarked for - so as to not sully the Super Duty name.

silver billet

Reaction score
Do you know someone that works at Ford?

There is a good interview with the Ford 7.3 engineering manager here:

You can also google all this stuff, it's not exactly rocket science nor am I saying anything that hasn't been said a million times by as many people but some of y'all just got hard heads.

But I am going to move on now as clearly we're not going to change each others minds.

PetePA

Reaction score
There is a good interview with the Ford 7.3 engineering manager here:

You can also google all this stuff, it's not exactly rocket science nor am I saying anything that hasn't been said a million times by as many people but some of y'all just got hard heads.

But I am going to move on now as clearly we're not going to change each others minds.
There are always tradeoffs.

If you're looking for power, Hurricane comes out on top.

If you're looking for fuel efficiency, hurricane comes out on top.

Not sure on reliability.

dcchris311

Reaction score
RAM is already giving incentives!! An offer popped up while I browsed their website for the 100th time today. Unfortunately it'll probably expire before I even get the truck.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240401_212037_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_212037_Gmail.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread