5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am seeing some some 1500s in transit at my local dealer so something is happening.

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
I think more apples to apples is the non HO. Sure, the HO would be awesome and clearly more HP. The standard I6 is still going to be a marginal improvement in HP and MPG.

So if somehow my '23 gets stolen or totaled in the next year or so, I'm looking for a used '24 or earlier. If the '26 is out and that happens, I'd consider it. Just not the '25.
How is that more apples to apples? The HO is the premium engine offering for 2025, and the hemi you have was the premium engine offering for your 2023 model year. Your posts come off more that you are upset you bought the 23 and then shortly after a new offering came out with more power and you are convincing yourself you made the right decision still.

Which is ok btw I’ve done it as well with my different vehicles haha.

PetePA

Reaction score
Who knows... there's been literally no changes on the Ram inventory numbers since last night... that goes for "in transit" vs. "being built" status too... But I'll check at ~8PM tonight to get a better comparison.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here it is saying In Transit. Previously they just said being built. It is a change from what it was previously. You won't see it in rams filtering because Ram's website sucks at filtering. If you check a local dealer you might see some in transit. It seems like they might be getting ready to ship but who knows.

You can see at the top right it says "In Transit" rather than Being Built like it said before.
1711644041558.png

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealer had 21 2025's being built and today half of them went to showing in transit.

Last edited:

Serpens

Reaction score
Like I said, after about 25, it goes like hell. It's slow getting to 25.

Car and Driver does 5-60mph to test for turbo lag since brake torquing the launch isn’t possible. The Wagoneer with the HO posted a time just a tenth behind the 6.4L V8, indicating turbo lag is well managed.

Their 30-50mph test was dead even, with 50-70mph in favor of the V8 by a tenth. Not much of a difference in responsiveness.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Car and Driver does 5-60mph to test for turbo lag since brake torquing the launch isn’t possible. The Wagoneer with the HO posted a time just a tenth behind the 6.4L V8, indicating turbo lag is well managed.

Their 30-50mph test was dead even, with 50-70mph in favor of the V8 by a tenth. Not much of a difference in responsiveness.

An extra 60 hp and it still can't beat the 6.4? That's ... sad.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Am I missing something or are these guys running it with the breaks on?
I keep seeing "brake torque" at 3500 rpms. Does that mean they locking the drivetrain and pushing 3500 RPMs on an automatic and then letting it go? If so who TF drives like that?

30–50-mph time a dead heat at 3.2 seconds, and the 50–70-mph time a tenth worse for the inline-six at 3.9 seconds.
I thought the turbo should be way better at those speeds?

BowDown

Reaction score
I keep seeing "brake torque" at 3500 rpms. Does that mean they locking the drivetrain and pushing 3500 RPMs on an automatic and then letting it go? If so who TF drives like that?

30–50-mph time a dead heat at 3.2 seconds, and the 50–70-mph time a tenth worse for the inline-six at 3.9 seconds.

They are pressing the brake pedal and the gas pedal at the same time to achieve maximum torque converter stall while simultaneously maxing out the turbine speed of the turbos for that RPM. Common practice

6of36

Reaction score

Most people don't, unless they don't care about the life of their vehicle. That's why their numbers are not realistic. My opinion is from behind the wheel, and the takeoff, at least in the GW, is slower than my 1500. There is one other possibility, there may have been something going wrong, with the GW she had. A day or two later, the CEL came on, and she had to return it to get serviced. Less than a month old vehicle, and already problems. They gave her a Durango instead.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most people don't, unless they don't care about the life of their vehicle. That's why their numbers are not realistic. My opinion is from behind the wheel, and the takeoff, at least in the GW, is slower than my 1500. There is one other possibility, there may have been something going wrong, with the GW she had. A day or two later, the CEL came on, and she had to return it to get serviced. Less than a month old vehicle, and already problems. They gave her a Durango instead.
The numbers on Car and Driver are just weird too.
My Ram 1500 that is around 6300lbs (including the driver) and is... faster then their GW at 6,530lbs with a 6.4?
They got a 5.8 5-60. I get a 5.9 0-60...

They are pressing the brake pedal and the gas pedal at the same time to achieve maximum torque converter stall while simultaneously maxing out the turbine speed of the turbos for that RPM. Common practice
Ah, I always see people online doing that and prompting the car breaks. Must be why I never see anyone do that in real life. It's always with expensive cars too.

Serpens

Reaction score
An extra 60 hp and it still can't beat the 6.4? That's ... sad.

The Hurricane model they tested was slightly heavier and these passing tests are exactly where NA vehicles shine. You can’t beat the responsiveness of a NA motor.

See above. These are quick passing times where the instantaneous response of a NA motor can’t be beat. Not to mention the 6.4L V8 has excellent top end power.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They are doing a brake stall. It will never reach 3500 RPM until they let off the brake. Probably get about 2000rpm. This builds boost before the vehicle moves and eliminates turbo lag

Serpens

Reaction score
My Ram 1500 that is around 6300lbs (including the driver) and is... faster then their GW at 6,530lbs with a 6.4?

I don’t understand this comment. Why are you comparing 5-60mph to 0-60mph? The 0-60mph time for any car will always be lower than 5-60mph.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ah, I always see people online doing that and prompting the car breaks. Must be why I never see anyone do that in real life. It's always with expensive cars too.
Only people who race their vehicles will ever do the brake stall. I have done it to help launch from a stop light to jump in front of traffic. It works on N/A vehicle as well. I will select 4-hi or 4-auto when ai do this to prevent wheel spin

silver billet

Reaction score
The Hurricane model they tested was slightly heavier and these passing tests are exactly where NA vehicles shine. You can’t beat the responsiveness of a NA motor.

See above. These are quick passing times where the instantaneous response of a NA motor can’t be beat. Not to mention the 6.4L V8 has excellent top end power.

I don't know where you stand on hurricane vs hemi so this isn't directed at you; but the HO getting beaten/tied by a 20 year old 6.4 is pretty pathetic. Well the 6.4 isn't 20 years old but the hemi design is so that's what counts here they just made the bore/stroke a little bigger vs the old 5.7. The HO is supposed to replace the 6.4. Not only is the HO slower off the line from a dead stop (turbo spooling), it can't even beat in passing power either where the RPMs are already higher and probably somewhat in the boost. And of course it's tiny engine getting wrung out.

Not getting the excitement for this engine. In every area save emissions its looking like a dud vs the hemi. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from a hemi tick type of thing as that will nail the coffin shut.

Not putting the 6.4 in the Ram 1500 is one of Rams most stupid mistakes. Guess I'll have to do the job myself some day.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They are doing a brake stall. It will never reach 3500 RPM until they let off the brake. Probably get about 2000rpm. This builds boost before the vehicle moves and eliminates turbo lag
It says they did it at 3500 RPMs in the artle linked
I don’t understand this comment. Why are you comparing 5-60mph to 0-60mph? The 0-60mph time for any car will always be lower than 5-60mph.
Because my 0-60 is only .1 seconds slower then their 5-60 with the 6.4.
Their 5-60 with their HO is the same time I get 0-60 with a 5.7 is my point.

How is the HO such a stronger engine if it's the same speed as a 5.7?
Just goes to show the tests they did aren't under normal conditions imo.

Users who are viewing this thread