5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would guess you chose not to engage because you also have nothing to support a view that an oil catch can does anything in the slightest to benefit a 5.7 Hemi motor.

My opinion is based on the reason and logic I have provided and that reason and logic was not established by me. For gods sake do some research.

My 2003 Ram was in fact still running like it was when new after 180,000 miles. There was absolutely no noticeable degradation in performance or economy. I also owned a 2006 Grand Marquis that I drove for 240,000 miles until it was totaled and it also performed like it did when new. Any wear that does not cause a noticeable decline in efficiency or performance by the owner is completely meaningless.
Let's ask a few questions about this.

Do oil catch cans work? Absolutely, a good quality catch can will do exactly what it's designed to do and separate the oil/fuel/condensation from the air getting sucked though your PCV valve. This is FACT you an not deny.

Are gasoline engines designed to burn oil/condensation? I would say no, they are designed to burn fuel and air mixture. Hence Air/fuel ratio. Not air/fuel/oil ratio.

Does burning these vapors collected by an oil catch can hurt your engine, if you don't have a catch can? Would depend on what you consider "hurt". Excessive oil getting sucked in through PCB system can lead to excessive deposits and detonation, even on port injected engines. Most modern engines have knock detector prevent damaging detonation, at a cost of performance due to reduced timing. Most people will never drive their vehicles in a manner where this would ever be evident to them.

Do you NEED and oil catch can? Absolutely not. You can get hundreds of thousands of miles out of your engine without one.

Does running an oil catch can help? Yes, although the benefits aren't something the average person will ever notice. And some peoples "reason and logic" for saying they dont work falls into the category of them not noticing a change in performance because it happens so gradually over time.

Do oil catch can cause problems? Absolutely not. Running one can only help your engine. Anyone who says there is a potential for blocking the lines in winter due to freezing of the vacuum lines has a crappy install, or does a lot of short mileage trips not allowing the engine to get up to proper operating temp to burn off condensation.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Let's ask a few questions about this.

Do oil catch cans work? Absolutely, a good quality catch can will do exactly what it's designed to do and separate the oil/fuel/condensation from the air getting sucked though your PCV valve. This is FACT you an not deny.

Are gasoline engines designed to burn oil/condensation? I would say no, they are designed to burn fuel and air mixture. Hence Air/fuel ratio. Not air/fuel/oil ratio.

Does burning these vapors collected by an oil catch can hurt your engine, if you don't have a catch can? Would depend on what you consider "hurt". Excessive oil getting sucked in through PCB system can lead to excessive deposits and detonation, even on port injected engines. Most modern engines have knock detector prevent damaging detonation, at a cost of performance due to reduced timing. Most people will never drive their vehicles in a manner where this would ever be evident to them.

Do you NEED and oil catch can? Absolutely not. You can get hundreds of thousands of miles out of your engine without one.

Does running an oil catch can help? Yes, although the benefits aren't something the average person will ever notice. And some peoples "reason and logic" for saying they dont work falls into the category of them not noticing a change in performance because it happens so gradually over time.

Do oil catch can cause problems? Absolutely not. Running one can only help your engine. Anyone who says there is a potential for blocking the lines in winter due to freezing of the vacuum lines has a crappy install, or does a lot of short mileage trips not allowing the engine to get up to proper operating temp to burn off condensation.
He aint worth the breath.
He doesn't listen to common sense or any kind of reason.

Also lines getting blocked in the winter is not a thing as oil doesn't freeze, and water would drip into the can and not get caught.
Maybe if you lived in Russia or something crazy like that
Also you do notice the benefits of a catch can on SOME car\trucks. For example the 5.3 Ecotech3 engine intakes gets so dirty that your MAF sensor can fail at under 20k miles without a catch can under normal operating conditions (per dealership techs) among other problems that are not the same as a HEMI (which may not give measurable benefits to the uninformed clueless common person who thinks "key turns, truck turns on goes vroom vroom, life is good" like the person you are responding to)

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram better hurry up and start shipping these 2025s so we have something else to talk about before this thread blows up the forum :ROFLMAO:

Too late. This reminds me of the old jerrybob threads, minus the periods between every 3rd-4th word. 😆

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
does a lot of short mileage trips not allowing the engine to get up to proper operating temp to burn off condensation.
Short tripping is the biggest factor on engine longevity, just after timely oil changes.
Assuming you don't start out with a dud, of course.

Anything beyond concern for that is just a feel-good measure.

We've chatted about c-cans in other threads, so all I'll say here is the notion that "even if there isn't a benefit, it can't hurt" should absolutely not be a universally accepted premise. If I were a Hurricane buyer, I'd absolutely wait on a c-can.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Ram better hurry up and start shipping these 2025s so we have something else to talk about before this thread blows up the forum :ROFLMAO:
Ram can't even keep their consumer web site working let alone get the trucks shipped. this morning on build and price the filters are all jacked up and don't even display completely for me. it's always something with the build and price.
Ram has to have hands down the worst and least reliable build and price consumer web tool of all the manufacturers. since day 1 of my Ram journey for a 2025 the build site has never worked well for me.
There has always been some part of it not working. this is just my experience guys I am not wanting to start a 6-page discussion on it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram can't even keep their consumer web site working let alone get the trucks shipped. this morning on build and price the filters are all jacked up and don't even display completely for me. it's always something with the build and price.
Ram has to have hands down the worst and least reliable build and price consumer web tool of all the manufacturers. since day 1 of my Ram journey for a 2025 the build site has never worked well for me.
There has always been some part of it not working. this is just my experience guys I am not wanting to start a 6-page discussion on it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have been waiting to try to build a Big Horn Night package, It never works when I click to add the night edition to the big horn.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I have been waiting to try to build a Big Horn Night package, It never works when I click to add the night edition to the big horn.
well good to know it isn't just me. that thing is a disgrace in reality when it's one of the first things your potential customers or returning customers may be seeing on your brand. if I was the CEO I would be mad as heck about that. the customer experience should be job1 from the ground up. I have been a chevy guy for most of my life and they have now made me mad. This is my first Ram ever and if I hadn't done my research away from the ram website I would have passed again and went with another brand. but with that being said the Ram trucks are awesome. When I test drove a 24 limited I was blown away in the difference between my current chevy Silverado LTZ and the Ram, I fell in love with Ram, but I couldn't get the features I wanted and had to choose the 25 because 24 ordering was closed. simply the Ram web experience to me cast a shadow of inadequacy of the digital buyers experience over the high-end reel experience of the trucks in my opinion. and in a digital world the bad operation of the build and price tool could impact the Buyers experience before they ever set foot in the seat of a Ram unfortunately.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well good to know it isn't just me. that thing is a disgrace in reality when it's one of the first things your potential customers or returning customers may be seeing on your brand. if I was the CEO I would be mad as heck about that. the customer experience should be job1 from the ground up. I have been a chevy guy for most of my life and they have now made me mad. This is my first Ram ever and if I hadn't done my research away from the ram website I would have passed again and went with another brand. but with that being said the Ram trucks are awesome. When I test drove a 24 limited I was blown away in the difference between my current chevy Silverado LTZ and the Ram, I fell in love with Ram, but I couldn't get the features I wanted and had to choose the 25 because 24 ordering was closed. simply the Ram web experience to me cast a shadow of inadequacy of the digital buyers experience over the high-end reel experience of the trucks in my opinion. and in a digital world the bad operation of the build and price tool could impact the Buyers experience before they ever set foot in the seat of a Ram unfortunately.
Yes, it's a build and price configurator, it should not be that hard for a company as big as stellantis is to have something so simple function properly. It's not like a small mom and pop company with limited IT recourses.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe that's why they just fired a bunch of their software guys.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
“…key turns, truck turns on goes vroom vroom, life is good". Hey, I resemble that remark! I especially like the “vroom vroom” of the hemi vs the wimpy 2.7 noise from my 2015 F150 that Ferd thought a guy likes…

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe that's why they just fired a bunch of their software guys.
Fire a bunch of people and not rehire.
Most IT companies are hurting for people small and large. Do you really thing their coworkers are now going to work harder for the same pay? Nope, quality will go down and people will also find other jobs and quit and it will then be 100% outsourced, or just jobs themselfs will be placed in poor countries like India working these jobs. There are smart people in those countries but the companies will not hire them, only the leftover slop that we know as Ramcares for example is what we will get. Have you seen the dumpster fire that is Twitter? An extreme example for sure but still valid.
I'm sure lots of people on this forum alone can relate to coworkers getting fired and just having more expected of you for no pay and how it never works out.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it's a build and price configurator, it should not be that hard for a company as big as stellantis is to have something so simple function properly. It's not like a small mom and pop company with limited IT recourses.
They might have fired the people :ROFLMAO:

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Fire a bunch of people and not rehire.
Most IT companies are hurting for people small and large. Do you really thing their coworkers are now going to work harder for the same pay? Nope, quality will go down and people will also find other jobs and quit and it will then be 100% outsourced, or just jobs themselfs will be placed in poor countries like India working these jobs. There are smart people in those countries but the companies will not hire them, only the leftover slop that we know as Ramcares for example is what we will get. Have you seen the dumpster fire that is Twitter? An extreme example for sure but still valid.
I'm sure lots of people on this forum alone can relate to coworkers getting fired and just having more expected of you for no pay and how it never works out.
I believe there is some truth to your statement. it seems that in the US. there seems to be a trend of gutting the high end tech people right now. my son just graduated with a degree in software engineering and is having a tough time finding a good job. when he started college that profession was begging for people at any cost. he gets interviews and all but hasn't found anything solid yet or they don't want to pay him a fair wage for his skill. thus, the outsourcing to other country's you speak of because labor is cheaper. they need good people here but do not want to pay for them. Our whole countries economy is outgrowing its ability for the people to survive who actually makes it run. corporate greed and stock buybacks at the expense of the workers have become a big problem that will have to be dealt with eventually as well.

PetePA

Reaction score
There were a couple of their other websites (I can't remember what brands) that I used the other day. They all have the same basic layout. Point is, I don't think there are a lot of resources that they need to put into ensuring the build/configurator portion of their sites work considering it's largely the same across their brands.

lonepeak

Reaction score
thus, the outsourcing to other country's you speak of because labor is cheaper. they need good people here but do not want to pay for them.
Another reason when I call a service provider, phone company, internet, etc. that I cannot understand them through their accent, and my poor hearing doesn't help. Are there any native English speakers on help lines anymore? No offense to them, just hard to understand.

rick619

Reaction score
Just picked up a '23 Big Horn with the 5.7. My wife wanted to wait until the end of the year to purchase. I was able to talk her into getting a '23 since they had some good discounts (20% off MSRP). I was nervous about waiting because I figured it might be slim pickings of the left over '24's by then. I very much did NOT want the new I6 turbo that's coming out. Mostly because it's a new engine. I work as an IT tech and just anything that is first gen is usually a good thing to avoid.

I figure Ford has had multiple Eco boost engines, so they're better now than they used to be. I was considering a Ford EB or even a Toyota. Plan B (at the end of the year) would likely be to get a Ford 3.5EB if I couldn't find a '24 Ram I liked. I would consider the I6 maybe once it's in it's second year in the 1500. I do realize it's been in the Wagoneer for a year. Just not enough time for me to feel like it would be a safe purchase.

I know these turbo 6 cyl engines are 100% because of the EPA, but I just think it's a bad trend to use less displacement and add turbo to compensate. You end up with almost the same horsepower and gas mileage at the cost of more moving parts and something that isn't likely to last as long.

For me to be motivated to buy a Turbo 6cyl, it would have to have either more HP or significantly better MPG (without loss of HP).

So hoping my 5.7 lasts at least 10 years. Looks like it may be my last V8 thanks to the EPA.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up a '23 Big Horn with the 5.7. My wife wanted to wait until the end of the year to purchase. I was able to talk her into getting a '23 since they had some good discounts (20% off MSRP). I was nervous about waiting because I figured it might be slim pickings of the left over '24's by then. I very much did NOT want the new I6 turbo that's coming out. Mostly because it's a new engine. I work as an IT tech and just anything that is first gen is usually a good thing to avoid.

I figure Ford has had multiple Eco boost engines, so they're better now than they used to be. I was considering a Ford EB or even a Toyota. Plan B (at the end of the year) would likely be to get a Ford 3.5EB if I couldn't find a '24 Ram I liked. I would consider the I6 maybe once it's in it's second year in the 1500. I do realize it's been in the Wagoneer for a year. Just not enough time for me to feel like it would be a safe purchase.

I know these turbo 6 cyl engines are 100% because of the EPA, but I just think it's a bad trend to use less displacement and add turbo to compensate. You end up with almost the same horsepower and gas mileage at the cost of more moving parts and something that isn't likely to last as long.

For me to be motivated to buy a Turbo 6cyl, it would have to have either more HP or significantly better MPG (without loss of HP).

So hoping my 5.7 lasts at least 10 years. Looks like it may be my last V8 thanks to the EPA.
They make more HP and have better performance overall. Have to look at more than just peak numbers. They beat the Hemi in every metric.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another reason when I call a service provider, phone company, internet, etc. that I cannot understand them through their accent, and my poor hearing doesn't help. Are there any native English speakers on help lines anymore? No offense to them, just hard to understand.
A lot of immigrants get hired at US based call centers because they are willing to work for lower wages than natural born citizens who feel the jobs are beneath them, despite lacking any marketable skill.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score

I figure Ford has had multiple Eco boost engines, so they're better now than they used to be. I was considering a Ford EB or even a Toyota. I would consider the I6 maybe once it's in it's second year in the 1500. I do realize it's been in the Wagoneer for a year. Just not enough time for me to feel like it would be a safe purchase.

Valid concerns I get it, I was nervous about turbo engines as well. we bought a 21 Buick envision new with a turbo in it, our first one and it has been flawless so far.
as for the Ram like you said it's been in the jeep for a little while. I have talked to owners of it, and they love it. I am not going to agree on your horsepower comment though.
the HO version of the 3.0 puts out 540 HP and 520 ft pnds. of torque. I am not sure anyone really needs more HP than that unless they are severe off-roading or Rock climbing, that's several more HP than the Hemi and more torque it also has about the same MPG and weighs less to boot. to me that's a win. but that's my opinion.
the one drawback to me though being fair to the hemi is the 3 liter requires premium fuel. other than that, I am willing to give it a chance. again, my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread