5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Direct injection has been around long enough now that it falls into the category of it is what it is. It is not a risk specific to this motor, and all of the majors have plenty of experience with it. The additional risk is incremental but no worse than buying pretty much any other new vehicle.

The F150 with the 3.5 turbo I have driven does produce more torque down low, and it provides a more relaxed towing experience, at least when I drove a friend’s. But the fuel economy benefits of the eco boost aren’t really as advertised. That being said, I think it is a good motor.
My Traverse has DI. 47k miles so far. No issues. No catch can.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if you are this rude in person
Yes, I keep it real.

Sorry to hear you have had issues with your truck. All vehicles can have issues. Mine has been almost perfect in 35k miles/.
I haven't had the posted issues with my truck but you are ignorant if you are active on these forums and don't see all the bad 12V batteries and leaking rear windows. It's not a small amount of people by any means.

Direct injection has been around long enough now that it falls into the category of it is what it is. It is not a risk specific to this motor, and all of the majors have plenty of experience with it. The additional risk is incremental but no worse than buying pretty much any other new vehicle.
What engines that Ram makes are DI? Neither the HEMI or Pentastar are.
I hope everyone planning on getting a 2025 plans on having a shop fab up a very good quality catch can because Ram for sure will not provide one.
The F150 with the 3.5 turbo I have driven does produce more torque down low, and it provides a more relaxed towing experience, at least when I drove a friend’s.

I drove my friends truck once and I liked it, therefore it's good.
lolwut?

Not knocking the 3.5L as I haven't owned one.
They are also on the second generation and have been making the 3.5L for roughly 15-20 years. You think when they first came out they were rock solid? How about those Cam Phaser

Different brands\engines deal with DI differently. Not EVERY DI needs a catch can, but most would benefit.
My Silverado with a 5.3 didn't even make it 20k miles before my MAF sensor was covered with oil to the point it was throwing engine codes for voltage.
Some even have a one built in already such as some BMWs

Here is a video that at a quick glance appears accurate and a good start if no one understands DI and how it is DIFFERENT then the Pentastar and HEMI engines

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I keep it real.

I haven't had the posted issues with my truck but you are ignorant if you are active on these forums and don't see all the bad 12V batteries and leaking rear windows. It's not a small amount of people by any means.

What engines that Ram makes are DI? Neither the HEMI or Pentastar are.
I hope everyone planning on getting a 2025 plans on having a shop fab up a very good quality catch can because Ram for sure will not provide one.

I drove my friends truck once and I liked it, therefore it's good.
lolwut?

Not knocking the 3.5L as I haven't owned one.
They are also on the second generation and have been making the 3.5L for roughly 15-20 years. You think when they first came out they were rock solid? How about those Cam Phaser

Different brands\engines deal with DI differently. Not EVERY DI needs a catch can, but most would benefit.
My Silverado with a 5.3 didn't even make it 20k miles before my MAF sensor was covered with oil to the point it was throwing engine codes for voltage.
Some even have a one built in already such as some BMWs

Here is a video that at a quick glance appears accurate and a good start if no one understands DI and how it is DIFFERENT then the Pentastar and HEMI engines
MAF having oil has nothing to do with direct injection.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the SO Trucks getting VINS or any updates on whether or not they're actually producing any trucks today. I am sort of curious if anyone has got notice of a VIN. My truck is HO so it probably won't get any VINs until closer to the 3/5 date.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the SO Trucks getting VINS or any updates on whether or not they're actually producing any trucks today. I am sort of curious if anyone has got notice of a VIN. My truck is HO so it probably won't get any VINs until closer to the 3/5 date.
I would expect that they are focusing on dealer stock first, not sure if anyone has been scheduled. I don't believe level 2 trucks are being produced until March.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
47k isn't really enough mileage for it to become a problem yet. Maybe if you live where it's cold and humid most of the year or use crappy oil. Our 1st gen ecoboost on the other hand has 120k miles and it's still running strong. Original cam phasors, timing chains, and all. I don't use it much, but when I need it it's there for me.

Last edited:

WW2

Reaction score
DI is here to stay..much more precise fuel delivery resulting in better power, mileage and emissions...many newer engines are using port and DI injection. This keeps the valves clean. and you have the benefits of DI.... I dont understand why they didnt take this approach with the Hurricane, cost I guess. Manufactures also wont design in a factory catch can because its a maintenance item...Wow, 10 seconds to unscrew and empty...stupid

I would actually be more concerned with the Plasma Arc cylinder liners of lieu of sleeves in this engine than the DI. Its being used but not really proven long term.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would actually be more concerned with the Plasma Arc cylinder liners of lieu of sleeves in this engine than the DI. Its being used but not really proven long term.
That's been in use for quite a while actually. Just not on Chrysler vehicles. Was developed in 2009. Ford uses it on the Coyote engines

Av1

Reaction score
That's been in use for quite a while actually. Just not on Chrysler vehicles. Was developed in 2009. Ford uses it on the Coyote engines

This is true.

There are several advantages using PTWA technology. I haven't heard of any negatives yet and it seems to be quite durable.

WW2

Reaction score
Yes and Ford had some big time oil consumption issues when it was 1st implemented. I actually have a 22 Mustang GT w Coyote...it still scares me long term...shall see

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is true.

There are several advantages using PTWA technology. I haven't heard of any negatives yet and it seems to be quite durable.

The negatives are that the block cannot be over bored for if a rebuild is needed, you have to replace the block. I don't know that sleeving is an option

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes and Ford had some big time oil consumption issues when it was 1st implemented. I actually have a 22 Mustang GT w Coyote...it still scares me long term...shall see

I guess it depends on how long your long term is. I've seen people making 1200 whp with daily street driven Coyote SBE's for years and the cylinder bores weren't the point of failure when they did give up. The ecoboost blocks are made the same way

lonepeak

Reaction score
Awfully quiet out there if in fact new '25s rolled out yesterday. Can't find any info. Would think some of the YouTubers, Car&Driver type folks would be all over it.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awfully quiet out there if in fact new '25s rolled out yesterday. Can't find any info. Would think some of the YouTubers, Car&Driver type folks would be all over it.
God you're not kidding. Its been super quiet. I am searching all over to get some sort of information on what might be going on. I guess no news is good news? I have no idea this is my first time pre-ordering a truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I could care less about the 2025s. They look nearly the same as the 2024s anyways, so why would people go somewhere and try to watch?
Is it suppose to be a good thing? Maybe when 5th Gen 2500s come out people will care and us with 1500 trucks can upgrade to an equivalent vehicle without buying an import truck that the 1500 had become?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
God you're not kidding. Its been super quiet. I am searching all over to get some sort of information on what might be going on. I guess no news is good news? I have no idea this is my first time pre-ordering a truck.
Hope you like going to the dealership with problems. Never buy a first year vehicle epically with a brand new engine. Your local dealership will love you though with all the work they will lilkely get imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online