5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lonepeak

Reaction score
Yeah maybe, but I need a truck this year. Guess I'll have to look at Fords if the RAM is going to fall apart.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah maybe, but I need a truck this year. Guess I'll have to look at Fords if the RAM is going to fall apart.
It's first Gen that's the whole point. No one will know if it's going to fall apart but generally first gens always have problems some minor some problems.
You ordered a truck with 400+ horsepower with twin turbos from a company that has been making NA v8 for decades. This is also assuming you didn't order a Pentastar then ignore what I said if so.
You could always get a 2024, that should have most of the 5th Gen quirks worked out and on a tried and true engine.

lonepeak

Reaction score
I tend to be a glass half full guy - yes there could be problems but any orders unless a pre order will be getting vehicles that have been out for awhile and wrung out by the all the testers and assembly line changes. Longer term, there have been problems with all of them. Not like this engine is entirely new, has been on the Wagoneers for couple years.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just watched a video from Reignited who has received FCA training on these engines and claims that the SO and HO are almost completely different engines. They share similar block size but beyond that, he does not recommend getting the SO and says "pay to get the HO as its a far better engine".

Time will tell. I know for sure I'm not paying an extra $20,000 CAD for trims and features I don't want, just to get the better motor, Ram can stuff it. I am so over this game.

Skip to the middle, the beginning is just "the end of the hemi" stuff which is all old news.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hope you like going to the dealership with problems. Never buy a first year vehicle epically with a brand new engine. Your local dealership will love you though with all the work they will lilkely get imo.
Thank you for your opinion.
Almost every car or truck has the chance for issues and problems. I purchased a 2019 Ram Limited which I believe was the first of its kind and I haven't had many issues with the truck at all. I don't run mine as hard as most do since it sits in the garage and I work from home. I hope I don't have issues but you never know. I don't want to sit around and wait for a Ram that won't have any issues since that's never going to happen. I'm pumped for my new truck and the new engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hope you like going to the dealership with problems. Never buy a first year vehicle epically with a brand new engine. Your local dealership will love you though with all the work they will lilkely get imo.
It's not really a first year vehicle. The sheet metal has been refreshed, but the rest of the truck is pretty much carried over. Some upgraded tech, and different engine options but nothing that hasn't been in the Jeep Wagoneer for over a year already. There is nothing new for the Ram that is also new for Stellantis.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The negatives are that the block cannot be over bored for if a rebuild is needed, you have to replace the block. I don't know that sleeving is an option
From what I've read, it's not the cylinder walls that wear down with this new technology. The rings will wear out before the cylinder walls. And if you damage the engine enough that the cylinders need repair, chances are it's bad enough you'd want to replace the whole block anyways.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
Awfully quiet out there if in fact new '25s rolled out yesterday. Can't find any info. Would think some of the YouTubers, Car&Driver type folks would be all over it.
Not sure what there would be to say about it. There likely wouldn't be any images either. "2025 models started production today" is about all there would be to say

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just watched a video from Reignited who has received FCA training on these engines and claims that the SO and HO are almost completely different engines. They share similar block size but beyond that, he does not recommend getting the SO and says "pay to get the HO as its a far better engine".

Time will tell. I know for sure I'm not paying an extra $20,000 CAD for trims and features I don't want, just to get the better motor, Ram can stuff it. I am so over this game.

Skip to the middle, the beginning is just "the end of the hemi" stuff which is all old news.

Agreed, I think you need to pay at least $78,000 USD for the trim in NA that has the HO engine. You can't, as of now, get it on a Rebel for example.

BowDown

Reaction score
It's first Gen that's the whole point. No one will know if it's going to fall apart but generally first gens always have problems some minor some problems.
You ordered a truck with 400+ horsepower with twin turbos from a company that has been making NA v8 for decades. This is also assuming you didn't order a Pentastar then ignore what I said if so.
You could always get a 2024, that should have most of the 5th Gen quirks worked out and on a tried and true engine.

I dont agree with that. If it were Dodge introducing 400+ horsepower with twin turbos engine when they're known as building NA v8 for decades, I'd probably agree with you.
Stellantis includes these brands (engineering) that have been making small displacement high horsepower turbo engines for decades

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Sorry OP, but I read 7 pages of this thread only to find posts related to your actual question barely enough to fill one page. :D
Currently in the same boat.
Yes, all vehicles have issues, but I have been reading enough about various Engine ticks, UConnect and back window leak to make me wait for these issues to be resolved.
These don't appear to be issues to simply take in and get fixed but rather constant battles with the dealership to obtain resolution.
So I opt to wait.

Now the V8 is going away and not a fan of Turbo engines at all.
The money saved on the little efficiency of the engine is lost by having to buy higher octane gas.
Also since I keep vehicles a long while, turbos can get expense especially if trying to keep vehicles for 200K+ miles

Have been checking out local dealers and can't find one to make the deal worthwhile to cause me to make the leap.
Stupid to gamble and trade in a solid truck for one with the potential to have a few frustrating issues.

Long story short, I will drive the truck until it dies and make the decision then. If it dies now, I will jump on the V8.
If it dies in a year, looks like I am going with the Turbo.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry OP, but I read 7 pages of this thread only to find posts related to your actual question barely enough to fill one page. :D
Yes, all vehicles have issues, but I have been reading enough about various Engine ticks, UConnect and back window leak to make me wait for these issues to be resolved.
These don't appear to be issues to simply take in and get fixed but rather constant battles with the dealership to obtain resolution.
So I opt to wait.

The money saved on the little efficiency of the engine is lost by having to buy higher octane gas.
Also since I keep vehicles a long while, turbos can get expense especially if trying to keep vehicles for 200K+ miles

Have been checking out local dealers and can't find one to make the deal worthwhile to cause me to make the leap.
Stupid to gamble and trade in a solid truck for one with the potential to have a few frustrating issues.

Long story short, I will drive the truck until it dies and make the decision then. If it dies now, I will jump on the V8.

I will likely when the time comes for a new truck consider GM or Ford going forward, as both will continue to offer V8 engines in their full size 1500 class trucks.

BowDown

Reaction score
So I opt to wait.

When you buy a vehicle off the lot that is 99% problem free for its life or even 5 years, let me know.

If it weren't for the 3.92, 4x4 and ram boxes, I'd by a Tungsten, hurricane and all.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dont agree with that. If it were Dodge introducing 400+ horsepower with twin turbos engine when they're known as building NA v8 for decades, I'd probably agree with you.
Stellantis includes these brands (engineering) that have been making small displacement high horsepower turbo engines for decades
That, and Dodge/Chrysler has a deep history with turbo engines. And I'm not talking the Cummins. The turbo dodges of the late 80s early 90s were some of the fastest productions cars at the time. Then you had the neon SRT4, Caliber SRT4, GT Cruiser, Dart and Chrysler 200 with turbo 4's........

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I opt to wait.

Thanks for answering the actual question. I think I have come to the conclusion that moving forward they're going to be doing I6TT. I know there are tons of information about DI/Turbos/etc and how they don't last as long and cause issues. I am going to take the leap and get the MOPAR warranty stuff. I like my 2019 Limited but it is missing a lot features I wanted initially like surround view/folding mirrors/wireless android auto/CarPlay, massaging seats, outlets in the truck bed, and I don't have Ram Boxes. I just hope this new truck is as good as my current one as far as enjoyment to drive. I understand some people are waiting to see if this engine ends up being any good. I understand that approach and I would normally do the same. I think that every year is a new truck with new features/additions and it gives me some comfort knowing this same engine is in the Grand Waggoneers which are 100k+ vehicles. We will see how it goes and thank you for your reply.

Now....back to complaining about DI/Turbos.....

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
That, and Dodge/Chrysler has a deep history with turbo engines. And I'm not talking the Cummins. The turbo dodges of the late 80s early 90s were some of the fastest productions cars at the time. Then you had the neon SRT4, Caliber SRT4, GT Cruiser, Dart and Chrysler 200 with turbo 4's........

Yep, I had a Shelby Daytona. Wish I still had it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for answering the actual question. I think I have come to the conclusion that moving forward they're going to be doing V6TT. I know there are tons of information about DI/Turbos/etc and how they don't last as long and cause issues. I am going to take the leap and get the MOPAR warranty stuff. I like my 2019 Limited but it is missing a lot features I wanted initially like surround view/folding mirrors/wireless android auto/CarPlay, massaging seats, outlets in the truck bed, and I don't have Ram Boxes. I just hope this new truck is as good as my current one as far as enjoyment to drive. I understand some people are waiting to see if this engine ends up being any good. I understand that approach and I would normally do the same. I think that every year is a new truck with new features/additions and it gives me some comfort knowing this same engine is in the Grand Waggoneers which are 100k+ vehicles. We will see how it goes and thank you for your reply.

Now....back to complaining about DI/Turbos.....
It's an I6, not a V6.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I had a Shelby Daytona. Wish I still had it
Same, 92 T1 5-speed. This was part way through the primer gray I was spraying to get rid of the normal paint issues from early 90s. This was a zero rust(other the light surface rust on hood/roof) central California car. 90% chance it had never seen snow until I got it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675534411827.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675534411827.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12

Av1

Reaction score
The negatives are that the block cannot be over bored for if a rebuild is needed, you have to replace the block. I don't know that sleeving is an option

Not necessarily. PTWA is being used to bring the bore back to standard when worn.

I don't know how much it can bring back, however.

Users who are viewing this thread