5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else Frustrated with Tow Package removing features?

Old Ray

Reaction score
Most people will NOT get the tow package and just order the Trailer Brake as a separate
This has been beat to death (mostly by me) but I would like to just mention that, because FCA never told their dealership sales mangers what was in various packages for their early initial inventory orders, there are a lot (many ?) of the tow packages trucks still on dealers lots. As I have been educated here; this is not FCA's fault that they screwed up and it is not the dealers fault if they will not tell you about it. It is the consumers fault (guilty) for not doing their due diligence, BUT this will continue to be the gift that keeps on giving until those trucks are all sold. Not all purchasers are genius.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has been beat to death (mostly by me) but I would like to just mention that, because FCA never told their dealership sales mangers what was in various packages for their early initial inventory orders, there are a lot (many ?) of the tow packages trucks still on dealers lots. As I have been educated here; this is not FCA's fault that they screwed up and it is not the dealers fault if they will not tell you about it. It is the consumers fault (guilty) for not doing their due diligence, BUT this will continue to be the gift that keeps on giving until those trucks are all sold. Not all purchasers are genius.
Next time I'll have my lawyer read the window sticker and it will take 3-6 months to come to a decision. :) . My goal is to get this out there so new customers don't have the same issue I did. I'm glad I'm not the only one fighting this. Thanks for the assistance in this.

If you have complains reach out to RAM Cares (https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/emailpage.html) or @RamCares on twitter and let them know you're pissed off. This way hopefully they do an even better job at not ripping people off.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been posting about this for months, including today, and I'm surprised you haven't got toasted yet for your post because there are at least 6 (?) other threads on the exact same subject. The general consensus of opinion is that this is completely and only your fault, (and mine) not the dealer, and not FCA. and it is just a minor insignificant problem. (I think they might all work for FCA. ) Funny that the number of confused buyers keeps growing, such a great business plan.
I was thinking that too. There have to be hundreds (thousands?) of posts in reference to this fiasco on this forum alone. I’m just glad y’all shared this info before I ordered in May...saved me the hassle!

jimk hunt

Reaction score
It's not a ripoff and you didn't get jipped. Early buyers get a pass but the bottom line is it is your responsibility to educate yourself 100% before a major purchase. With the information out there available at the end of our fingertips, it's on us. Should the sales guy know, hell yes, but if he thinks he's gonna make a sale, he is not going to do anything to complicate it.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I purchased my truck through a dealer and did not special order mine or else I may have noticed this. When you purchase through a dealer there isn't a very clear understanding of what you get and what is removed. Also sometimes you don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which options you get. My frustration is with the lack of communication about this from my dealer and ram. $4000 worth of features being removed for a tow mirror seems like sort of a rip off. I contacted FCA and RAMCare but I'm sure I'll get no where. I just want to make sure if a person is looking to get a Ram Limited they see this forum and know what the tow package actually includes/removes. In case they don't read every line of their window sticker.
I agree with you with your frustration with the dealer. Yes we should do our own research but the dealer should be the expert on their product and explain everything to you. Those mirrors are a major item that should be pointed out.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking that too. There have to be hundreds (thousands?) of posts in reference to this fiasco on this forum alone. I’m just glad y’all shared this info before I ordered in May...saved me the hassle!

This just made my day. I am glad this helped you make the right decision. At least one less person won't be disappointed. Let your dealer know about the Tow package because mine did not know it removed the two features.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you with your frustration with the dealer. Yes we should do our own research but the dealer should be the expert on their product and explain everything to you. Those mirrors are a major item that should be pointed out.

I researched everything I could and even online if you go and build your own it doesn't have a pop up like it does on some other features to tell you what it removes (like it does on most other add-ons). I have a picture of it using their online building tool.

Attachments

• tow-group-addon.png
    tow-group-addon.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 28

Tom488

Reaction score
I initially ordered my truck back in July, but it wasn't built until early October. Right around that time, I found this forum, and learned of my horrendous mistake (having been a long-time Dodge/Ram owner, I was conditioned into always ordering the tow package, as that got you the factory class IV hitch, and the 7-pin trailer wiring harness). By learning about the problem here, before taking delivery, I was able to educate myself, then educate my sales rep (who first thought I was right that it deleted the power-folding option, but thought the 360 camera was still there - which we know to be false), and ultimately decide to cancel my order, and re-order with just the brake controller, and without the tow package.

In the end, it cost me another 5-6 weeks of wait time, but in the end, I got exactly what I wanted, and wasn't out any extra $$$. So - BIG thank you to all the members here who educated me, and continue to educate new and prospective owners!

jk101

Reaction score
I researched everything I could and even online if you go and build your own it doesn't have a pop up like it does on some other features to tell you what it removes (like it does on most other add-ons). I have a picture of it using their online building tool.
You're right it doesn't have a pop-up and absolutely should! The only place it mentions after you're done with the build is on the summary page >all standard features >exterior features. Almost like it's hidden.

79 300

Reaction score
We ordered my truck on Nov 2 and on the dealer's ordering program it popped up warning about the power folding and heated mirrors being deleted with the tow package.
I already knew about this thanks to this forum, but it did warn us in the showroom.

Brooksrandy81

Reaction score
Im glad I joined this forum before I make a purchase!! I would've gotten the Tow package and realized it screwed up my Adv safety Group! That's crap! Just get gears and a brake controller! Do the Rams come with bigger tranny coolers on all models? I know my F150 MAX TOW added A bunch of big cooling items as well as gears and brake controller etc.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The FCA cooling systems seem to be generally good (coolant, oil, and tranny); problems reported seem to be non-existent.

If you're asking if the Tow Package upgrades any of the exchangers, good question.

For the Durango, if you upgrade a V6 to the Hemi, you automatically get the Heavy Duty engine cooling package.

For the Ram 1500, I don't see this anywhere. Maybe the standard package IS the heavy duty cooling. Idk.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somebody get the smelling salts for that horse! This feels like we can get some more mileage out of her.

Before I bought my Limited, I got pretty good at reading the Monroney labels. They spell out that you get the camera and power folding if you don't get the towing mirrors.

Monroney.gif

Last edited:

RichT

Reaction score
Dealer I purchased from (16th) already had the regular mirrors + trailer brake on most of their inventory, which is great.

It's also dumb. Now nobody who purchased with plans to tow (raises hand)...has tow mirrors.

I don't regret it, am glad they had already caught it, and would buy again....still dumb. At least offer nice mirrors as an option. Is that the big hook to get me to buy a power wagon?? Mirrors? Really? lol, ok...

When I saw the situation on paper I didn't have a clue, but just figured meh, guess if I end up really needing them I'll have to either wait for aftermarkets or hang some Griswald specials from u-haul on there.

Old Ray

Reaction score
Somebody get the smelling salts for that horse! This feels like we can get some more mileage out of her.
Before I bought my Limited, I got pretty good at reading the Monroney labels. They spell out that you get the camera and power folding if you don't get the towing mirrors.
The horse is up, so riddler riddle me this, not on my label, early CANADIAN production (July purchase) ?

Attachments

• IMG 2019 ram 2.jpg
    IMG 2019 ram 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The horse is up, so riddler riddle me this, not on my label, early CANADIAN production (July purchase) ?
Now we’re on to beating the dead grandchildren of that horse, anyway, as stated many, many times in early forum threads (before May) this is where the tow mirror fiasco started. The early builds did not show on the window sticker the tow mirror delete 360 view (thank you Old Ray for sharing so others can see this) the RAM build site did not show this either. The dealers obviously did not know early on, hence the abundance of tow mirror trucks in dealer inventory. Many members on this forum educated their dealers on this, including myself, because they did not know. Partially because of this forum, the window stickers, RAM build site, and dealership order sheets were updated. Us early members remember this process. Some newer members think we’re crazy because this was straightened out before they joined. Really, if you do any research at all before buying now, you should know about the tow mirror delete.

Old Ray

Reaction score
Really, if you do any research at all before buying now, you should know about the tow mirror delete.
Yes it should,........ thanks for posting. What about the other dumb ***** (like me) that bought before this information was available or posted. If the purchaser couldn't access the printed info (but should have paid more attention), and the dealers didn't know (or didn't say) then where is the responsibility of FCA ? Shared liability?
(Not all buyers are geniuses, ask me.)

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it should,........ thanks for posting. What about the other dumb ***** (like me) that bought before this information was available or posted. If the purchaser couldn't access the printed info (but should have paid more attention), and the dealers didn't know (or didn't say) then where is the responsibility of FCA ? Shared liability?
(Not all buyers are geniuses, ask me.)
Good question. A lot of early buyers may be :poop: out of luck, unfortunately, not that it is right. I too fell victim early on. I ordered a Longhorn with the tow group not realizing the 360 view and power fold delete. Dealership or salesman sure as heck didn’t know. When I found out due to this forum, I went back and educated them on this. They were as dumbfounded as I was. I then ordered a second truck which DID have everything I wanted and it finally arrived in July. Love it!;)

Users who are viewing this thread