5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else Frustrated with Tow Package removing features?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Live and learn. I am a member of a number of forums, so when I became interested in the 2019 Rams I did a Google search for Ram forums and poked around them a bit. I found this to be one of the best on the subject and started digging. I was explaining the feature losses on the Towing Package to dealership salesmen and my broker. All I wanted was the integrated brake controller...and that's what I got.

I feel bad for those early adopters that didn't have access to this knowledge which was gained over time. Unfortunately, I can do nothing to resolve their issues. I can thank them for warning potential buyers like myself, so "Thank you."

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
My Monroney is completely unclear about what features are on the truck. My truck is an August build. It states nothing about having 2 different option packages conflicting, one of which does not indicate it deletes a feature and the other explicitly stating it has a feature.

Oh wow, August? After reading about the issue on these forums, I've noticed lately that all the Monroney's I see have the camera and power mirror delete listed with tow package.

I've also noticed that just about every available Limited sitting in dealer inventory has the tow package included and therefore are undesirable. I don't think dealers knew these package conflicts initially and just ordered maxed out trucks. Unfortunately, some of you buyers got shafted by the conflict as well. I'm not buying until I can find one without a tow package.

Old Ray

Reaction score
I've also noticed that just about every available Limited sitting in dealer inventory has the tow package included and therefore are undesirable. I don't think dealers knew these package conflicts initially and just ordered maxed out trucks.
I hope they never sell..............(I bet FCA will help them before they will help us) .........................my heart bleeds for them.............and it serves them right !
Think of the up coming special sale price on all those tow package trucks.
Dumb manufacturer, dumb dealer, and even dumber customer (me) who gets to pay for it all, ........... But not next time.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hope they never sell..............(I bet FCA will help them before they will help us) .........................my heart bleeds for them.............and it serves them right !
Think of the up coming special sale price on all those tow package trucks.
Dumb manufacturer, dumb dealer, and even dumber customer (me) who gets to pay for it all, ........... But not next time.

Like I said earlier I'm having a lawyer review my window sticker before I buy another RAM . I'm not going to let this happen to me again. I still haven't heard back from FCA or my dealer by the way.

stevetom84

Reaction score
My Ram was my first truck and first new vehicle. I was ready to purchase a limited off the lot at a local dealer, but went line item by line item on the window sticker due to all the different options/packages and luckily noticed the N/A with tow mirrors note on the surround view camera line item. Every limited in my immediate area had the the stupid tow mirrors and I ended up picking up what I wanted at a dealer 3hrs away.

Sadly I think a lot of salespeople are just interested in moving inventory and probably have a "what the customer doesn't know won't hurt them approach", especially when all they have on the lot is trucks with tow mirrors. The salesman should be more knowledgeable about the product than the consumer, but that's often not the case and requires us as consumers to be as knowledgeable as possible.

If I had to guess there are a lot of people driving around with tow mirrors that don't even realize the features that were removed. What's scary is the early builds don't even make mention of features being "N/A with tow mirrors" on the window stickers and there are probably some of those trucks sitting on lots for sale.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Ram was my first truck and first new vehicle. I was ready to purchase a limited off the lot at a local dealer, but went line item by line item on the window sticker due to all the different options/packages and luckily noticed the N/A with tow mirrors note on the surround view camera line item. Every limited in my immediate area had the the stupid tow mirrors and I ended up picking up what I wanted at a dealer 3hrs away.

Sadly I think a lot of salespeople are just interested in moving inventory and probably have a "what the customer doesn't know won't hurt them approach", especially when all they have on the lot is trucks with tow mirrors. The salesman should be more knowledgeable about the product than the consumer, but that's often not the case and requires us as consumers to be as knowledgeable as possible.

If I had to guess there are a lot of people driving around with tow mirrors that don't even realize the features that were removed. What's scary is the early builds don't even make mention of features being "N/A with tow mirrors" on the window stickers and there are probably some of those trucks sitting on lots for sale.

I am doing the exact same thing next time i buy any car. I'm going line by line through every feature and option.

stevetom84

Reaction score
I was used to buying something like a Honda Accord where there really aren't to many options, other than trim level. These things have so many different options and packages that it can easily get a bit confusing if you haven't done your homework.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These things have so many different options and packages that it can easily get a bit confusing if you haven't done your homework.
Amen to that. With the different trims and options exclusive to those trims, it was a challenge figuring out just what I wanted. That quest is what led me to this forum.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was used to buying something like a Honda Accord where there really aren't to many options, other than trim level. These things have so many different options and packages that it can easily get a bit confusing if you haven't done your homework.

I had bought Nissan's which was simple. It had a package it came with everything in that package. Never had this issue after 3 new cars. First truck had an issue.

I'm going to follow up with my dealer today to see if they forwarded my email to someone at FCA/Ram.

kjn86

Reaction score
Completely on board with continuing to pursue this. Some have said this is the buyer's fault, which ultimately is true, but it's just not that simple. I didn't lose 360 as my Rebel doesn't have it, but apparently I lost power fold and heat for a $400 tow package I didn't want. If these were options I don't have but didn't pay for, I would be OK, but, as others have pointed out, we paid for what is considered an upgrade and lost value monetarily. I am fine with not having something I didn't pay for, but apparently I paid for the better mirrors and lost them. I only got the tow group since it was on every model at my dealers that I liked. I didn't even want it. I became aware I lost out on better mirrors only after buying. I made the assumption that the tow group mirrors would be identical to the others except they'd have the large tow mirror portion and be able to rotate. It didn't occur to me they'd lose folding and heat. I admit this is my fault, but it's silly that we are having this conversation about mirrors on such a great and expensive vehicle. I would just be happy with heat. And I find the tow mirrors distracting to boot. I assumed at the time I was getting an upgrade in features so I was OK with the fact that I didn't want/need it. In reality, it has lowered the value of the truck to add this feature.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Completely on board with continuing to pursue this. Some have said this is the buyer's fault, which ultimately is true, but it's just not that simple. I didn't lose 360 as my Rebel doesn't have it, but apparently I lost power fold and heat for a $400 tow package I didn't want. If these were options I don't have but didn't pay for, I would be OK, but, as others have pointed out, we paid for what is considered an upgrade and lost value monetarily. I am fine with not having something I didn't pay for, but apparently I paid for the better mirrors and lost them. I only got the tow group since it was on every model at my dealers that I liked. I didn't even want it. I became aware I lost out on better mirrors only after buying. I made the assumption that the tow group mirrors would be identical to the others except they'd have the large tow mirror portion and be able to rotate. It didn't occur to me they'd lose folding and heat. I admit this is my fault, but it's silly that we are having this conversation about mirrors on such a great and expensive vehicle. I would just be happy with heat. And I find the tow mirrors distracting to boot. I assumed at the time I was getting an upgrade in features so I was OK with the fact that I didn't want/need it. In reality, it has lowered the value of the truck to add this feature.

I like that you mentioned that you were fine with the Tow package because you were assuming it was an upgrade. I was like hell i'll take the tow package that sounds like an upgrade in case I need to Tow something. It's not something I need but if its an upgrade i'll take it. I'm sure that might sound dumb to some people but to me I don't mind paying a little more to get more options. It's just frustrating when those options take away features you actually wanted.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The tow package is an upgrade on tradesman and big horn. Standard with class 3 which is just the bumper. Standard mirrors are non folding heated. So you do lose heat.

On limited , Laramie, longhorn and rebel, you just need the brake controller the rest is standard.
On the Rebel you lose heat. The other three have heated tow mirrors.
No where does it say the tow mirrors are power fold. Although, multi function is a very broad term.
And it does say on the feature guide that tradesman, bighorn and rebel, no heat with tow mirrors.

I completely agree that this is a huge blunder when the 4th Gen had what you guys wanted. And how does a truck come standard with heated mirrors, but tow mirrors (that have heat since they were introduced in 2003) do not? And losing power fold on a luxuary truck!?!

Just stating the above facts for reference.

Edit: added more facts for less confusion.

Last edited:

jk101

Reaction score
I first saw this truck when I went with my ex to get her Limited in August. I knew then that I'd be trading in my Silverado and buying one. I was on this forum, and another forum, DAILY reading everything I could until I finally pulled the trigger on 12/21.
I cannot express how beneficial these forums are and am thankful for every member who contributes! This is where I found out about the Tow Package fiasco and knew that I would NOT be adding that option. I also knew to check the carpet for wetness,THANKFULLY, as the first truck I looked at it was soaked in the back and yep, the drain plugs were not properly installed. I pointed that out to the dealer and he was astonished. Disaster averted.
I'll try to pay it forward by contributing whatever I can.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The tow package is an upgrade on tradesman and big horn. And you lose nothing. Standard with class 3 which is just the bumper.

On limited , Laramie, longhorn and rebel, you just need the brake controller the rest is standard. On the Rebel you lose heat. The other three have heated tow mirrors No where does it say they are power fold. And it does say on the feature guide that tradesman, bighorn and rebel no heat with tow mirrors.

I completely agree that this is a huge blunder when the 4th Gen had what you guys wanted.

Just stating the above facts for reference.

Ok, so funny thing, the standard mirrors are heated. I did not think they were. So you do lose heat on the tradesman and bighorn/lonestar.

I will fix the post above.

1997pgt

Reaction score
So like many on here i too fell victim of the tow mirror debacle but the most confusing part about mine was the window sticker listed 3 different option packages for mirrors, surprise surprise when i discovered this frosty morning that not only did they delete my power folding but the dumbo ears don't even have heat. Talk about a confusing window sticker.

First Section:
Customer Preferred Package 25Z
"Power-Heated Mirrors with Manual Fold-Away"

Next Section:
Trailer-Tow Group
"Power Black Trailer-Tow Mirrors w/Manual Fold-Away"

Last Section:
Level 2 Equipment Group
"Power-Folding Mirrors"
"Blind-Spot with Cross-Path Detection"

I understand how many of you say it's ultimately up to the buyer/customer to do their due diligence on what's included on their truck but how can you do that when there's 3 sections on the window sticker with 3 different options for mirrors? And how does a $55,700 Bighorn not have heated mirrors...

Attachments

• ram1.jpg
    ram1.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ram2.jpg
    ram2.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Let me explain my shock and dismay when I noticed that the local dealership now has four Limited's on order and all of them are equipped with the tow package.

So either lots of people don't mind these deletes, or this particular dealership doesn't realize it's ordering a bunch of trucks that informed consumers won't want.

kjn86

Reaction score
Let me explain my shock and dismay when I noticed that the local dealership now has four Limited's on order and all of them are equipped with the tow package.

So either lots of people don't mind these deletes, or this particular dealership doesn't realize it's ordering a bunch of trucks that informed consumers won't want.

They don't understand this isn't an upgrade. One would assume if you are logical that the upgraded mirrors on this package would have the same features as the other mirrors except they would ADD the tow mirror. You would be mistaken and sad to find out you got a larger fish-eye mirror but lost power, heat, and 360 (for some).

There is no way a logical person would trade all these features for the $295 trailer brake control and worse mirrors. The largest Ram dealer by me had 75% at least with the tow package as well. It's like Ram is trying to unload these. Guarantee this is fixed in 2020.

ium33

Reaction score
I was at my local dealer this morning having a few things looked at (console squeak, bent chrome window trim, upper glove box light not working) and saw a black Limited on the lot with vertical tow mirrors. All the ones I've seen before have been long and narrow.

I took a few pictures and checked the window sticker. Pictures attached. I could not get the build date since it was locked. My wife and kids were with me so I snapped a few pics and left.

Notice the window sticker does NOT mention the delete, and these tow mirrors are definitely not the same as I've been seeing on the 1500s.

I could not tell whether there was a camera or whether the cutout was just for the LED puddle lights. IMG_20190104_083819.jpg IMG_20190104_083743.jpg IMG_20190104_083800.jpg IMG_20190104_083750.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but they look like they were added from maybe a 2500 4th gen but I know that’s not possible, is it ?

Users who are viewing this thread