5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any news yet on power fold for Tow Mirrors?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the switchback modules I build for the 4th gens won’t work on the 5th gens. There’s something different with the turn signal circuit, probably PWM, that causes the drop out to behave erratic.
Sending you a PM to get some BCM logs from you to check out.
It appears that those attempting the folding tow mirror upgrade on their 2019/2020 all have the 12" U-Connect with Navigation. Mine has the basic 8.4" Uconnect display. Will it still work on mine utilizing the parts list you sited?

TIA

zcastle27

Reaction score
It appears that those attempting the folding tow mirror upgrade on their 2019/2020 all have the 12" U-Connect with Navigation. Mine has the basic 8.4" Uconnect display. Will it still work on mine utilizing the parts list you sited?

TIA
I have an 8.4 inch on my 2021 and it works

gstboy69

Reaction score
If you want to install the 2021 power fold tow mirrors with cameras, running lights and trailer spot lights on any 2019+ 5th gen 1500, and have all the features work correctly, you will need driver door module 68517699AA, and passenger door module 68517698AA. All circuits are the same, and these modules have the port for the third green mirror connector that carries the running lights and trailer spot lights wires.
The settings changes are:
Doors: Power Folding Mirrors Present- YES
Doors: Tow Mirrors Present- YES
Doors: Mirror Running Lights- YES
Doors: Mirror Rear Guidance Lights- Yes
CustSetMenu 3: Rear Cargo Guidance Lights Enable/Disable CSM Present- YES
If your truck originally came with auto dimming mirrors, change these settings:
Doors: Electro-Chromatic Driver Mirror Present- NO
Doors: Electro-Chromatic Passenger Mirror Present- NO
If you have a 2021 with standard power folding mirrors, and you want to swap in the fully loaded tow mirrors, you already have the correct door modules, and you’ll make the same changes as above (power folding mirrors will already be set to yes).
Hello,

You dont have all the part number for 2022 2500 HD Big Horn. I want to install 360 Camera Power Folding mirrors but I don't found all the information. I have the 12" radio.

Thanks

Pompito

Reaction score
If you want to install the 2021 power fold tow mirrors with cameras, running lights and trailer spot lights on any 2019+ 5th gen 1500, and have all the features work correctly, you will need driver door module 68517699AA, and passenger door module 68517698AA. All circuits are the same, and these modules have the port for the third green mirror connector that carries the running lights and trailer spot lights wires.
If you have a 2021 with standard power folding mirrors, and you want to swap in the fully loaded tow mirrors, you already have the correct door modules, and you’ll make the same changes as above (power folding mirrors will already be set to yes).
Ordered the mirrors and door modules for my 2020 Rebel with powerfold mirrors and 12" Uconnect with Nav. Apparently it will be like a months wait until I get all parts delivered(some backordered stuff). Lets see how it goes when they arrive. Thanks to all for the great info.
Mirrors:
68448077aa
68448076aa
Door modules:
68517699AA
68517698AA

mlcarril

Reaction score
Ordered the mirrors and door modules for my 2020 Rebel with powerfold mirrors and 12" Uconnect with Nav. Apparently it will be like a months wait until I get all parts delivered(some backordered stuff). Lets see how it goes when they arrive. Thanks to all for the great info.
Mirrors:
68448077aa
68448076aa
Door modules:
68517699AA
68517698AA
Let me know if you have luck with the mirror marker lights, and the rear guidance light. I have the same YR/Model Rebel and couldn't get those 2 items to work.

Daverous

Reaction score
Apologies on not chiming back in.

After Jimmy was so kind as to send over a known, working, backup file, I didn't have any luck. Technically, by switching over the logs he sent me the bcm should have recognized my truck as a known working, 2500 with running lights and guidance lights. It did not, unfortunately.

Leads to the conclusion that currently there may be an alfaobd issue preventing the coding from working as intended. It may also be a software version issue? Jimmy fired off a message to the developer. Perhaps we'll get lucky and an update will correct the issue.

If not then a few repins and additional wiring may be needed. The parts should play nice so I'm hopeful the coding is corrected to avoid any funky wiring needs.

Thanks again, @Jimmy007!

Pompito

Reaction score
Let me know if you have luck with the mirror marker lights, and the rear guidance light. I have the same YR/Model Rebel and couldn't get those 2 items to work.
Did you replace the door modules?

gstboy69

Reaction score
Hello,

Please I need all the parts number of power folding 360 mirrors and the stuff for functionality. I have a Bighorn 2022. With 12" radio.

mlcarril

Reaction score
Did you replace the door modules?
Yes, same part numbers you listed. Issue is getting the guidance light option on the radio. You can follow the posts on the thread to see the issues we were/are having

Last edited:

Pompito

Reaction score
Yes, same part numbers you listed. Issue is getting the guidance light option on the radio. You can follow the posts on the thread to see the issues we were/are having
Soooooo, it will work the same with my older door modules then I guess?😑

lelshaddai

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie that had power mirrors already. I worked out my deal to get the power towing mirrors installed. They installed them today and they work great. These mirrors have the trailer LED backup lights in them. Any chance the LED lights could work on this truck?

Attachments

• 2022-01-28 13.08.06.jpg
    2022-01-28 13.08.06.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 2022-01-28 13.08.14.jpg
    2022-01-28 13.08.14.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 76

Pompito

Reaction score
Have two sets(color matching one), here's the harness. Four wires. I can also verify 4 wires on the signal marker if needed since I had mine off to swap to switchbacks. Attempted a total of 4 resets without luck. Strange that I don't have at least running lights. Thought those were a given on these dt trucks with tow mirrors once flipped on in settings?

Have you figured out the wiring of this 4 wires? As to hardwire them to a running light circuit for running lights. And hardwire the rear guidance lights to the reverse?
Maybe @Jimmy07 can hook us up with a wiring diagram for that green connector.

Last edited:

Daverous

Reaction score
Jimmy did. Passing it along-

"In the meantime, you can get the mirror running lights going by pinning their wires into the ambient door lighting circuits and enable Doors: Door Handle LED Present (Ambient Lights)- YES. The mirror running light LEDs are separate from the turn signals, so the only issue is, they will stay lit while the turn signal is operating.
You would take the wire from position 4 of the green connector, and insert it into position 9 of the blue door module connector. Then the wire in position 7 of the green connector goes to position 10 of the blue connector."

Pompito

Reaction score
Jimmy did. Passing it along-

"In the meantime, you can get the mirror running lights going by pinning their wires into the ambient door lighting circuits and enable Doors: Door Handle LED Present (Ambient Lights)- YES. The mirror running light LEDs are separate from the turn signals, so the only issue is, they will stay lit while the turn signal is operating.
You would take the wire from position 4 of the green connector, and insert it into position 9 of the blue door module connector. Then the wire in position 7 of the green connector goes to position 10 of the blue connector."
Does this mean the running lights on the mirror will only be on when the door is open?

Daverous

Reaction score
Ambient lighting is activated with the headlights and remains on with them.

I believe you're thinking puddle lights.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought door handle lights will also come on with the puddles.
The door handle lights do come on with the puddle lamps, but they are also on anytime the headlights are on (whether auto or manual). This is just a quick solution so you can just quickly switch some wires around right at the door modules without having to run wires out of the doors and into the cab. It’s also the same method I use to build the plug n play mirror running light modules for the 4th gens.
This method also would make the running lights dim along with the door handle lights with the dimmer wheel, so it would pretty much have to be turned up all the way.

Pompito

Reaction score
The door handle lights do come on with the puddle lamps, but they are also on anytime the headlights are on (whether auto or manual). This is just a quick solution so you can just quickly switch some wires around right at the door modules without having to run wires out of the doors and into the cab. It’s also the same method I use to build the plug n play mirror running light modules for the 4th gens.
This method also would make the running lights dim along with the door handle lights with the dimmer wheel, so it would pretty much have to be turned up all the way.
Thank you @Jimmy07 ! Do you have the polarity of the pins in the green connector. I already tapped into running lights for my TRX grill and rear lights. Might as well run some wires to the door. Just in case 😂😂

Last edited:

Pompito

Reaction score
So I got the mirrors today. Will be tackling this project on the weekend. Took the time to pin out the green connector.
Mirror Running lights: Pin 7-, Pin 4+
Trailer Back up light: Pin 6+, Pin 10-
While there is a solution for this, I think I'm going to hardwire the running lights to the door module and add a switch for the trailer back up lights slave to the running lights. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Pompito

Reaction score

@Jimmy07 For some reason when I connect to Alfa OBD the options in red do not appear in the Car Configuration menu. My 2020 Rebel on AlfaOBD connects to DT My2019 Powernet Var 3. Any ideas why?

Users who are viewing this thread