5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any news yet on power fold for Tow Mirrors?

bourgeois

Reaction score
I have the gateway and programmer for sale to active the mirrors.

Shawn84

Reaction score
But their power fold mirrors are for existing power fold trucks. Im curious what needs added to enable that. Is it as simple as new door buttons and flashing the BCM?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But their power fold mirrors are for existing power fold trucks. Im curious what needs added to enable that. Is it as simple as new door buttons and flashing the BCM?
You still need the door modules that are capable of power fold, door switch, and enable them in the BCM.

Shawn84

Reaction score
The more i read the more i figured the door modules would need swapped. i have a 2019, which it seems those 1500 modules didnt have that ability's. thanks

zcastle27

Reaction score
If you just straight up swapped mirrors, and had no programming done, can you verify that when the mirrors are in the flipped up tow position, do the mirror glass adjustment arrows work in the correct direction?
they do not work properly.... left is up and down is right. There's a chance the convex mirror is powered as well but would need a new door module and maybe new door panel. The mirrors do help with towing though.
Time stamp 3:32 shows the convex button

Last edited:

zcastle27

Reaction score
Are these the black cap mirrors or chrome? Looking for the black ones. Have a Rebel with BSM, Puddle light, Power fold
These are black capped and it was an easy plug and play if you know how to take the door panel off.... I struggled a little but did it all within an hour. I believe the convex mirror is also powered but I don't have the correct door module to know. These mirrors came with an extra plug. I know the HD 2022 have power convex. So im assuming its for the convex power. If i find the part to the new door module ill try replacing if it isn't to expensive.

The only issue is when tilted up in towing mode the buttons are flipped for moving the mirror. Down now moves the mirror right and up left.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
they do not work properly.... left is up and down is right. There's a chance the convex mirror is powered as well but would need a new door module and maybe new door panel. The mirrors do help with towing though.
Time stamp 3:32 shows the convex button

These are black capped and it was an easy plug and play if you know how to take the door panel off.... I struggled a little but did it all within an hour. I believe the convex mirror is also powered but I don't have the correct door module to know. These mirrors came with an extra plug. I know the HD 2022 have power convex. So im assuming its for the convex power. If i find the part to the new door module ill try replacing if it isn't to expensive.

The only issue is when tilted up in towing mode the buttons are flipped for moving the mirror. Down now moves the mirror right and up left.
The 1500’s do not have power convex mirrors as an option, only the HDs. The extra connector that came on your mirrors is for the mirror running lights and trailer spot lights. You would need new door modules to make those work. You can get the mirror adjustment to work correctly by enabling tow mirrors in the BCM with AlfaOBD or Jscan.

Shawn84

Reaction score
I'm attempting to dig thru parts now but...

Anyone know what door module part number is needed for fully loaded tow mirrors and doors?

Also which driver side switch panel for the fold button?

Ill post if I find them.

Shawn84

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm these are all you need to swap in if you get your hands on power folding tow mirrors:

Left door module: 68424179AC
Right door module: 68424178AB
Driver Switchs and bezel: 68262252AC

Roughly $210 in more parts.

Daverous

Reaction score
In for progress reports. Been putting off my 360 tow mirror swap for months now. Really prefer to have all the features work when I do the install so it looks like door modules are a must.
Haven't pulled the pin diagram, do the new 21+ door modules play nice with the earlier factory door harness? I'd be in to buy a set to test bcm settings if we're sure they'll at least plug up.

RTS001

Reaction score
First post here, just bought a 2021 Limited and read on the window sticker power mirrors. Little did I know they don't fold. After reading this though, I am unsure if I just need to activate them or need the modules.

Mine has the switch in the door already.
I have "mirror dimming" in the options of the radio. Looks like they should have heat but haven't found a button for that. They def have a camera and led puddle light with lane warning indicator. I really need the mirrors to fit into my garage and def at my bank.

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpg
    IMG_7254.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7253.jpg
    IMG_7253.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7255.jpg
    IMG_7255.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 85

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In for progress reports. Been putting off my 360 tow mirror swap for months now. Really prefer to have all the features work when I do the install so it looks like door modules are a must.
Haven't pulled the pin diagram, do the new 21+ door modules play nice with the earlier factory door harness? I'd be in to buy a set to test bcm settings if we're sure they'll at least plug up.
If you want to install the 2021 power fold tow mirrors with cameras, running lights and trailer spot lights on any 2019+ 5th gen 1500, and have all the features work correctly, you will need driver door module 68517699AA, and passenger door module 68517698AA. All circuits are the same, and these modules have the port for the third green mirror connector that carries the running lights and trailer spot lights wires.
The settings changes are:
Doors: Power Folding Mirrors Present- YES
Doors: Tow Mirrors Present- YES
Doors: Mirror Running Lights- YES
Doors: Mirror Rear Guidance Lights- Yes
CustSetMenu 3: Rear Cargo Guidance Lights Enable/Disable CSM Present- YES
If your truck originally came with auto dimming mirrors, change these settings:
Doors: Electro-Chromatic Driver Mirror Present- NO
Doors: Electro-Chromatic Passenger Mirror Present- NO
If you have a 2021 with standard power folding mirrors, and you want to swap in the fully loaded tow mirrors, you already have the correct door modules, and you’ll make the same changes as above (power folding mirrors will already be set to yes).

Daverous

Reaction score
Thanks as always, sir. Might actually make it to trying that HD cvpm before years end haha.

68_cuda

Reaction score
If you want to install the 2021 power fold tow mirrors with cameras, running lights and trailer spot lights on any 2019+ 5th gen 1500, and have all the features work correctly, you will need driver door module 68517699AA, and passenger door module 68517698AA. All circuits are the same, and these modules have the port for the third green mirror connector that carries the running lights and trailer spot lights wires.
The settings changes are:
Doors: Power Folding Mirrors Present- YES
Doors: Tow Mirrors Present- YES
Doors: Mirror Running Lights- YES
Doors: Mirror Rear Guidance Lights- Yes
CustSetMenu 3: Rear Cargo Guidance Lights Enable/Disable CSM Present- YES
If your truck originally came with auto dimming mirrors, change these settings:
Doors: Electro-Chromatic Driver Mirror Present- NO
Doors: Electro-Chromatic Passenger Mirror Present- NO
If you have a 2021 with standard power folding mirrors, and you want to swap in the fully loaded tow mirrors, you already have the correct door modules, and you’ll make the same changes as above (power folding mirrors will already be set to yes).
What scan tool/type of scan tool are you using to make these changes. I recently installed factory tow mirrors purchased from the dealership and the only thing that doesn't work is the auxiliary reverse lights. I had the dealership change the setting to let the truck know the tow mirrors present so they adjust correctly when flipped up. Where is the setting to let the truck know these are present? Everything else works perfect!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What scan tool/type of scan tool are you using to make these changes. I recently installed factory tow mirrors purchased from the dealership and the only thing that doesn't work is the auxiliary reverse lights. I had the dealership change the setting to let the truck know the tow mirrors present so they adjust correctly when flipped up. Where is the setting to let the truck know these are present? Everything else works perfect!
AlfaOBD. It will also most likely have to be the windows version in order to get all the settings to show up under doors.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First post here, just bought a 2021 Limited and read on the window sticker power mirrors. Little did I know they don't fold. After reading this though, I am unsure if I just need to activate them or need the modules.

Mine has the switch in the door already.
I have "mirror dimming" in the options of the radio. Looks like they should have heat but haven't found a button for that. They def have a camera and led puddle light with lane warning indicator. I really need the mirrors to fit into my garage and def at my bank.
Your mirrors should definitely be power folding. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it - likely just a programming adjustment.

Leadfoot69

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the power folding tow mirrors have heat and memory?
So far every Power folding one I have come across online does not list those options. I don't think any list heat.
I've seen manual fold that say with or without memory but once you get to power fold it only list with or without bsm and Camara.
Tia.

Users who are viewing this thread