5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I fill the 33, the gas could get bad before I use it. If I only fill it part way, why have it. I guess my decision will be made when I am ready to order.
Its actually worse to let a tank sit half full. condensation builds on the walls of the tank during temp swings, adding more water to the fuel.

I top mine off with e15 when i know i wont drive it for weeks, never an issue.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How silly to think there might be something between where you grew up and the city you work in...

Doesn't seem like you don't care. And honestly, my "payload excuse" probably made you chuckle about as much as your "I need 33 gallons so I can drive to the city for my avocado ice cream and kale water and not have to fill up more than once a week" excuse.

You seem to be more interested in trolling anyone who disagrees with you more than engage in any actual meaningful discussion. That's fine. Enjoy yourself. I apologize to everyone else for my part in taking this thread so far into the weeds.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Its actually worse to let a tank sit half full. condensation builds on the walls of the tank during temp swings, adding more water to the fuel.

I top mine off with e15 when i know i wont drive it for weeks, never an issue.
Condensation was more of a problem when gas tanks were made of metal. It's nowhere near the same with the plastic gas tanks we have now. It can still happen, but not at the same level.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You seem to be more interested in trolling anyone who disagrees with you more than engage in any actual meaningful discussion. That's fine. Enjoy yourself. I apologize to everyone else for my part in taking this thread so far into the weeds.
Really? This was your first comment directed to me in this thread:
"It amuses me that anyone is so concerned about payload that they feel the need to argue about 6 pounds (64 vs 70 lbs.). "

You got what you got. If you don't like it, keep it to yourself next time. 🍻

Hasti17

Reaction score
I hadn't been up North in nearly 5 years, but we went up to Louisville to pick up the camper. Not going to lie, it hurt my soul a bit to see the salt on my truck with less than 1k miles on it.
my truck has not been clean for more than one full day yet since i picked it up
..... At least the interior is nice

33 gal with the diesel is a perfect option for long hauling my boat, now if only my POS trailer didnt have some new catastrophic problem EVERY time we go somewhere

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
"It amuses me that anyone is so concerned about payload that they feel the need to argue about 6 pounds (64 vs 70 lbs.). "

You know I thought the same thing when I called it 60 and gave it an extra 40 for the tank weight that folks who only drive with absolute maximum payload at all times weighing each item were concerned with.

Are you an engineer by chance? 🤣

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
my truck has not been clean for more than one full day yet since i picked it up
..... At least the interior is nice
You enjoy that interior...for now.

Soon...

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You know I thought the same thing when I called it 60 and gave it an extra 40 for the tank weight that folks who only drive with absolute maximum payload at all times weighing each item were concerned with.

Are you an engineer by chance? 🤣
Not anymore! 💰

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Actually, you're way off on that. That isn't even close to the first comment aimed at you. My first comment that was even remotely directed at you was this...
I get what you're saying. Payload is important to anyone who tows or hauls cargo. But it's really not much of a hit to payload. 10 gallons of gas weighs roughly 60 pounds. Someone who's worried about 60 pounds of payload might want to consider a more stripped down 1500, or even an HD.
Quite a brutal post wasn't it?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, you're way off on that. That isn't even close to the first comment aimed at you. My first comment that was even remotely directed at you was this...

Quite a brutal post wasn't it?
Well, you had to be right about something eventually. 🤣

Still, I didn't really start having fun with you until that comment. Maybe a little before that with your "nitpicking" fail. Who knows anymore...

Either way, lighten up a little. We're all just having some fun here.

snowflake.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At 75 mph, that is nearly 7 hrs of driving without stopping to use the bathroom. That can't be good for your body ! Or stopping to stretch or get something to drink or eat? That is insane. When I go on a road trip I usually stop every 2 hrs just to get out & stretch. After 2 hrs my back needs to get out of a sitting position for awhile.
For some it's a badge of honor to cause damage to thier body by trying to hold in ****/**** on a road trip so they can say they made it with no stops. And yes, it's medically proven to damage the body. Most of these people are younger and haven't figured out that trips are much more enjoyable when you plan ahead time wise and make a few extra stops, and aren't trying to force your body to go longer between stops. And it doesn't add any extra time to top off with fuel during a **** stop.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, you had to be right about something eventually. 🤣

Still, I didn't really start having fun with you until that comment. Maybe a little before that with your "nitpicking" fail. Who knows anymore...

Either way, lighten up a little. We're all just having some fun here.

View attachment 120087
Oh, I've been right all along. It's just taking you a while to realize that. :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully you got it all out of your system with those last three digs. In the end, I agree, this is a place that should be fun and informative. We could all remember that.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Unless you’re over eating/drinking or drinking soda and eating crappy snacks, there isn’t anything to hold in for those hrs. Your body is consuming the proper amount.

That’s where the planning comes into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I've been right all along. It's just taking you a while to realize that. :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully you got it all out of your system with those last three digs. In the end, I agree, this is a place that should be fun and informative. We could all remember that.
I mean, we've established that it's 70 lbs, right? Even @Mountain Whiskey stopped arguing that point. :sneaky:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you’re over eating/drinking or drinking soda and eating crappy snacks, there isn’t anything to hold in for those hrs. Your body is consuming the proper amount.

That’s where the planning comes into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Half the fun of a road trip is eating garbage food.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you’re at or near maxing out payload to pull a camper, 70lbs isn’t going to make a difference in how well your truck handles the load. So IMO the only drawback to the 33 gallon tank is the upfront cost. Each person has to decide if that money is worth it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread