5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fair enough. The numbers are pretty close to what I found repeatedly, so was curious.

Either way, eTorque to eTorque should still be about a 70 lb hit going from 23 gallon to 33 gallon. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's getting late and my brain is starting to feel like tater salad.

Yes, 23g eTorque vs 33g eTorque would be about 70 lbs difference.

BigD

Reaction score
That’s fairly easy. You can’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At 75 mph, that is nearly 7 hrs of driving without stopping to use the bathroom. That can't be good for your body ! Or stopping to stretch or get something to drink or eat? That is insane. When I go on a road trip I usually stop every 2 hrs just to get out & stretch. After 2 hrs my back needs to get out of a sitting position for awhile.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pack what you need in a small cooler and monitor what you eat and drink during the trip. Most efficient way to road trip. You think truckers stop every 2hrs?

Although with my little girly tank, i can still get close to 500 miles while road tripping on the highway.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 75 mph, that is nearly 7 hrs of driving without stopping to use the bathroom. That can't be good for your body ! Or stopping to stretch or get something to drink or eat? That is insane. When I go on a road trip I usually stop every 2 hrs just to get out & stretch. After 2 hrs my back needs to get out of a sitting position for awhile.

Can u drive 500 miles without stopping to take a **** ?

Drove this straight through IL to NY

E95FE0FA-9E3A-4B8D-AA55-2886DE35B670.jpeg

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This kinda went a direction I did not anticipate. 😂 Thanks for all the discussion. I went with the 33 gallon (and 3.92’s) with my order. Planning to keep it a while and who knows what I may do with it so I thought I’d get the best setup for anything the future may hold. I also figured it I do sell it later, it may help with resale. Probably doesn’t really matter too much.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I'm with you. About 2 hours is all I'm ever going to do, especially while towing. That means I'd go about 130 miles max while towing and I'd really only need a 13 gallon tank.

I'm writing FCA to see if we can get the standard tank changed to 13 gallons so I can get another 70 lbs of payload back.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This kinda went a direction I did not anticipate. 😂 Thanks for all the discussion. I went with the 33 gallon (and 3.92’s) with my order. Planning to keep it a while and who knows what I may do with it so I thought I’d get the best setup for anything the future may hold. I also figured it I do sell it later, it may help with resale. Probably doesn’t really matter too much.
Okay…but don’t come crying to us when you have to leave one of your kids, your beef jerky, beer nuts and nine cans of Mountain Dew at home so you can have that extra seven gallons of fuel. 😉

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
This argument is as sad as the "It costs more to buy 30 gallons than 20". You know, it's legal in all states to stop and relieve yourself without filling up your truck. Really, it is. Now is you are taking a dump on the shoulder of the road in front of the state police station, well.... you might have an issue.

For the most part, does anyone only drive their truck on around the world trips? I mean I still have to work for a living. I like being able to fill up Monday morning or on the weekend and not hit a gas station again for the week. I can p!ss when I get to work or get home.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yep, I'm with you. About 2 hours is all I'm ever going to do, especially while towing. That means I'd go about 130 miles max while towing and I'd really only need a 13 gallon tank.

I'm writing FCA to see if we can get the standard tank changed to 13 gallons so I can get another 70 lbs of payload back.
Just drop the tank and plumb in a 5 gallon fuel cell. You can tow from gas station to gas station that way!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the most part, does anyone only drive their truck on around the world trips? I mean I still have to work for a living. I like being able to fill up Monday morning or on the weekend and not hit a gas station again for the week. I can p!ss when I get to work or get home.
It's 2022. My office is about 15 feet from my bedroom. Less when we're traveling.

Hell, now that I think about it, if we stopped traveling I could just drop the fuel tank altogether and get back even more payload.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just drop the tank and plumb in a 5 gallon fuel cell. You can tow from gas station to gas station that way!
200.gif

1ramrunner

Reaction score
When the 33 tank became an option, I wanted it. Aside from all the childish responses in this thread, I have discovered some useful information to apply to my decision about the tank size and other options.
I did see a sample of a chart with the weight of options, wish there was a list of all options and their weight. This would save me from trying to find a truck with options I'd want and then plug the vin into the towing and payload thing to see what the results are.
Back to the tank, it was a must have, but not so much anymore. I never really take trips in the truck and it won't be my daily driver. If I fill the 33, the gas could get bad before I use it. If I only fill it part way, why have it. I guess my decision will be made when I am ready to order.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Of course not. But I appreciate your curiosity :ROFLMAO:

Like I said in another post, I want that range so I can drive to work all week without needing to fill up. Then fill up on the weekend when it's more convenient. On a road trip I'm lucky to go 2 hours between needing to stop to take a leak. Doesn't mean I should also fuel up every time, or even stop at a gas station.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'd probably just not live 40+ miles from work if I didn't want to fill up more than once a week. ⛽

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I think I'd probably just not live 40+ miles from work if I didn't want to fill up more than once a week. ⛽
Yea, well with a minimum wage job I guess that is an option. Myself, I like having a large property in the country and making the money the city affords. My humble abode would run about 5 mill where I work.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hmmm...lets look at that suggestion closer. Live in the same college town where I work, having to deal with the traffic, the students, the parties, the noise, higher crime rates, the extremely high housing costs. Or live in the town I grew up in, where it's quiet, little traffic, friendly people, little to no crime. Just so I can have a truck with a peanut sized fuel tank to save 70 lbs of payload for things I don't tow or haul. That's a tough decision, but I think I'll stay where I am. ;)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, well with a minimum wage job I guess that is an option. Myself, I like having a large property in the country and making the money the city affords. My humble abode would run about 5 mill where I work.
I suppose if you don't have the skillset, it's either minimum wage or work in the city.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...lets look at that suggestion closer. Live in the same college town where I work, having to deal with the traffic, the students, the parties, the noise, higher crime rates, the extremely high housing costs. Or live in the town I grew up in, where it's quiet, little traffic, friendly people, little to no crime. Just so I can have a truck with a peanut sized fuel tank to save 70 lbs of payload for things I don't tow or haul. That's a tough decision, but I think I'll stay where I am. ;)
You have to live 40+ miles away to get away from that? And let's not pretend that less frequent fill-ups are the only benefit to not driving 450 miles or so a week for a job.

I'm glad there are little people like @Mountain Whiskey to remind me how good I really do have it. 🇺🇸

Last edited:

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the 33 gallon tank because:

(1) When trailering my MPG are almost cut in half and the extra fuel brings my pee range back up to my fuel tank range

(2) It’s a security issue because I can selectively choose my fuel stops with the larger tank bypassing stopping for fuel in less desirable locations or maybe not even have to stop for fuel until I get back home to my well patrolled hood.

(3) During the winter I can refuel on nice days and be in my nice warm cab while others are refueling on cold nasty days

(4) The extra two minutes to pump the additional 8 (?) gallons of fuel means I’m stopping for fuel one less time for every three tanks of fuel.

(5) The extra weight issue can be solved just by not putting on as much fuel…..me I’m topping off every time

(6) Fuel is more expensive along major highways so I can go out and back on one tank of the cheaper fuel found in my hood or once I get to my destination I can refill away from the major highways

(7) On long drives it‘s one less stop to make when it‘s time to eat

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have to live 40+ miles away to get away from that? And let's not pretend that less frequent fill-ups are the only benefit to not driving 450 miles or so a week for a job.

I'm glad there are little people like @Mountain Whiskey to remind me how good I really do have it. 🇺🇸
I guess you missed where I said "live in the town I grew up in". As in, I chose to raise my kids where I grew up. If it means I'm driving almost 40 miles to go to work, so be it. I love living where I do. I have a large garage, a comfortable house, friendly neighbors, family close to me, and my own half acre of land to play with. I couldn't come close to having what I have if I lived in the town I work in. It's great that you can work from home. I tried that for a while but I didn't like it. I need to separate work life from home life, and that drive home is a great way to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread