5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you’re at or near maxing out payload to pull a camper, 70lbs isn’t going to make a difference in how well your truck handles the load. So IMO the only drawback to the 33 gallon tank is the upfront cost. Each person has to decide if that money is worth it or not.
My camper has a GVWR of 4000 lbs. The camper isn't anywhere near maxing out payload. Add a family, couple of dogs, gear, generator, firewood, bikes, kayaks, bed cover, WDH, etc? Now we're getting there.

70 lbs is a generator and the fuel for it for a week.

Like I said earlier, the 33 gallon tank is as useful (maybe even less useful) to me as a 70 lb rock. I wouldn't haul around a 70 lb rock, so I saw no reason to add 70 lbs of dead weight to my truck.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you’re at or near maxing out payload to pull a camper, 70lbs isn’t going to make a difference in how well your truck handles the load. So IMO the only drawback to the 33 gallon tank is the upfront cost. Each person has to decide if that money is worth it or not.
Well stated. And I couldn't agree more.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For some it's a badge of honor to cause damage to thier body by trying to hold in ****/**** on a road trip so they can say they made it with no stops. And yes, it's medically proven to damage the body. Most of these people are younger and haven't figured out that trips are much more enjoyable when you plan ahead time wise and make a few extra stops, and aren't trying to force your body to go longer between stops. And it doesn't add any extra time to top off with fuel during a **** stop.

Who said anything about holding **** in for a non-stop 8 hour road trip?

Ya’ll don’t keep disposable empty bottles in the cab?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who said anything about holding **** in for an 8 hour road trip?

_1Gou_bmaP-SsOalnxjoadEuRXogdAgh3kUJ-7M4sVA.png

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, the 33 gallon tank is as useful (maybe even less useful) to me as a 70 lb rock. I wouldn't haul around a 70 lb rock, so I saw no reason to add 70 lbs to my tank.
After reading all of your posts tearing down anyone who disagrees with you, I think I finally understand why you are so concerned about that extra 70lbs of payload. You need ALL the payload you can get to to carry around that rock you call a head!

image-asset.jpeg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After reading all of your posts tearing down anyone who disagrees with you, I think I finally understand why you are so concerned about that extra 70lbs of payload. You need ALL the payload you can get to to carry around that rock you call a head!

View attachment 120091
I haven't torn anyone down, Francis. I corrected a few, poked back at a few, and even educated a few.

Go somewhere else with your trash.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha dang it. Beat me to the **** jugs. It’s the way of the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, love that show. I'd never heard of it until we were quarantined on ship in the swine flu days and I pulled it from another SSgt's hard drive while I was bored.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who said anything about holding **** in for a non-stop 8 hour road trip?

I pissed in enough bottles in Iraq. I'm good.

With that said, I get out and walk around every 4-5 hours just to get some blood flowing. 33 Gal tank and all.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I haven't torn anyone down, Francis. I corrected a few, poked back at a few, and even educated a few.

Go somewhere else with your trash.
REALLY? Let's take a look.
Yes, a reduction of 70 lbs to my payload is a drawback when I bought the truck specifically to tow a camper and haul the gear that goes along with it. I need the 70 lbs a lot more than I need extra miles I'll never use.

Some of us do a little more than go pick up avocado toast in our trucks.

We don't need to assume anything. It's 70 lbs. Not 60. Not 100. If you don't know, just say you don't know and move on.

Someday when your pops teaches you how to tow, you'll know why payload matters. 🍻

You feeling satisfied now? Cause I can go on busting you up all night.

I suppose if you don't have the skillset, it's either minimum wage or work in the city.

You have to live 40+ miles away to get away from that? And let's not pretend that less frequent fill-ups are the only benefit to not driving 450 miles or so a week for a job.

I'm glad there are little people like @Mountain Whiskey to remind me how good I really do have it. 🇺🇸

How silly to think there might be something between where you grew up and the city you work in...

Doesn't seem like you don't care. And honestly, my "payload excuse" probably made you chuckle about as much as your "I need 33 gallons so I can drive to the city for my avocado ice cream and kale water and not have to fill up more than once a week" excuse.

Well, you had to be right about something eventually. 🤣

Still, I didn't really start having fun with you until that comment. Maybe a little before that with your "nitpicking" fail. Who knows anymore...

View attachment 120087
Nuff said!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My camper has a GVWR of 4000 lbs. The camper isn't anywhere near maxing out payload. Add a family, couple of dogs, gear, generator, firewood, bikes, kayaks, bed cover, WDH, etc? Now we're getting there.

70 lbs is a generator and the fuel for it for a week.

Like I said earlier, the 33 gallon tank is as useful (maybe even less useful) to me as a 70 lb rock. I wouldn't haul around a 70 lb rock, so I saw no reason to add 70 lbs of dead weight to my truck.
I know this is a waste of time but my point remains. 70lbs of payload shouldn’t make a difference on whether or not you get the 33 gallon tank. I’m sure if it came down to it you could easily move 70lbs of gear into the camper instead of the back of the truck. Now if you said you’d rather keep the $450 dollars it costs to add the option because you don’t want or need the bigger tank I get it. It’s just like with the ram boxes, they take up something like 100lbs of payload but that’s not why I don’t want them. It’s cause I don’t want to pay over 1k for an option I don’t want.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
REALLY? Let's take a look.

Nuff said!
Neat.

Now let's look at some of the posts that prompted those replies:

Yea, right. Now you're just being a specification nutball. Do you wear slippers instead of boots to lighten the load too?

If you did weigh every ounce and were petrified your sissy truck could not handle an extra Franklin of weight, just drive a couple miles.

You think you know how much the gas weighs. Are you using winter blend fuel? Summer? Ethanol or non? What temperature is the gas when you are weighing it? Any different additives? What?!? You don't know? You could be pounds off! Ounces! EVEN GRAMS! What will your "truck" do? Think of it. The horrors!

Let's see that math. Work out all those variables to get to 70. For me it is 60 because that would be about what the gas weighs. I figured 100 for you for the "full factor". But lay out the numbers professor.

No, men use 87 like the engine was designed for.

Huh.... you missed the range of part above that. I understand. Many here have comprehension issues and like burning cash. Literally since it is burning in the cylinders.

It's not like you have 3:21 gears that will get bogged down by 60 pounds. I seriously doubt you count your payload down to the pound. If you do, get a life. It's not a Ford, it can handle it.

So, pulled it out of the backside. Got it. Whatever you need to do to convince you. Its all good.

That's about three pages, and then I got bored. Didn't include the memes, either. Didn't seem to bother Mountain Whiskey. Shouldn't bother you, either.

While we're looking up my posts, let's revisit my original comment that set a few people off:

I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this opinion, but I have the 23 gallon tank and don't feel like I'm missing out. I do prefer the additional payload, though.

We just finished up a trip where the computer tells me we averaged 10.2 MPG. We stop every couple of hours and I just fill it up then. No issues for me.

When I was younger and would try to stretch out driving distance, I'd have probably sacrificed the payload for the bigger tank.

You done here?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 120091
Not that was a "childish comment"...that post is clearly the winner for failure to contribute ANYTHING to the discussion.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is a waste of time but my point remains. 70lbs of payload shouldn’t make a difference on whether or not you get the 33 gallon tank. I’m sure if it came down to it you could easily move 70lbs of gear into the camper instead of the back of the truck. Now if you said you’d rather keep the $450 dollars it costs to add the option because you don’t want or need the bigger tank I get it. It’s just like with the ram boxes, they take up something like 100lbs of payload but that’s not why I don’t want them. It’s cause I don’t want to pay over 1k for an option I don’t want.
Do you even know what camper I have or what storage I have available? I'm guessing not. No, I can't just take 70 lbs and put it in the camper. 🤣

If I wanted the 33 gallon tank or had a use for the 33 gallon tank, I'd have figured something else out. If the 33 gallon tank took away 0 lbs from my payload, I'd have a 33 gallon tank.

$450 on top of the price of this truck is nothing to me, and wasn't even something I looked at to be honest. If that's a variable for you, that's fine. That's why we have different trucks...

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you even know what camper I have or what storage I have available? I'm guessing not. No, I can't just take 70 lbs and put it in the camper. 🤣

If I wanted the 33 gallon tank or had a use for the 33 gallon tank, I'd have figured something else out. If the 33 gallon tank took away 0 lbs from my payload, I'd have a 33 gallon tank.

$450 on top of the price of this truck is nothing to me, and wasn't even something I looked at to be honest. If that's a variable for you, that's fine. That's why we have different trucks...
Now I know you are just arguing to argue. Do you really think that 70 extra lbs whether in your camper or your truck will make any difference in how it pulls down the road If loaded correctly?

I honestly don’t care either way, your money, your truck. But don’t try to act like 70lbs a payload is going to make or break your set up.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now I know you are just arguing to argue. Do you really think that 70 extra lbs whether in your camper or your truck will make any difference in how it pulls down the road If loaded correctly?

I honestly don’t care either way, your money, your truck. But don’t try to act like 70lbs a payload is going to make or break your set up.
I don't know how to say this any more clearly. We don't have the room to just throw 70 lbs of stuff into the camper.

You need to stop acting like you know anything about my setup or my uses for this rig.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Emphasis on multifunctional

View attachment 120098
Our camper was winterized when we picked it up and temps were staying in the teens so we left it that way. We stayed at a ******* Barrel on the way home and needed to use the bathroom so bought some WAG bags. If it was just me, I'd have definitely busted out the **** bottles from my Iraq days. 🤣

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not picking sides in the discussion, but I remember the discussion of the tank weight back when I was researching options. The 70# is the filled additional weight over the standard tank, correct? So the actual additional tank weight is probably 10ish pounds? I mean, how can a 7 gallon tank (the increase from 26 to 33) weigh 70#? It's not a more of plastic or metal.

Forgive me if this is in the thread somewhere, but I didn't catch it if it was.

Users who are viewing this thread