5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Diff vs. E-Locker

nilsfisher24

Reaction score
Manual says that the E locker disengages at 20 mph but when you slow down, it will re-engage. Don’t need to keep pushing the button every time during the same trip or ignition cycle.
I have the E locker in my truck, wouldn’t want a different one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cravenfan

Reaction score
What he said above. Deep snow, muddy or sand conditions should favor E Locker. Basic snow, wet roads and Ice as well as “forget about it” , favors anti-spin.
2wd boar ramp? E Lock maybe better but you probably have 4x ordered.

Ended up with anti-spin...it was on the truck that I'm picking up Tuesday night...so 'nuff said for me on this topic!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Soubds good. Doubt youll be able to tell much difference, I know I wont. We leave the truck in the warm dry garage and take out the older Ford AWD tank with dedicated snows if we are concerned. As long as the heated seat works, she is happy...

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So just to dig this back up, why not drive around in 4WD Auto all the time?

Because the clutch pack in the tcase is partially engaged, and the front diff is engaged.

Driving in auto all the time will cause premature wear on your driveline and decrease your mpg

Auto 4wd and AWD systems are quite different.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because the clutch pack in the tcase is partially engaged, and the front diff is engaged.

Driving in auto all the time will cause premature wear on your driveline and decrease your mpg

Auto 4wd and AWD systems are quite different.

Thank you!

LouNY

Reaction score
My oh my, what a thread so much misinformation along with a bit of good info.
One thing not discussed enough is that with the e-locker (my choice also) when it is engaged your truck will not want to turn,
gravel roads, driveways it's quite noticeable. The slippery the more noticeable that your truck will not like to turn.
So on snow or ice if you need to turn unlock that diff.

tomme12

Reaction score
When the E-locker is on, does it also lock the front wheels? It sounds like the system is anti-slip when not engaged and e-locker will lock the rears, but does it also lock the fronts for equal power to all four wheels?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing not discussed enough is that with the e-locker (my choice also) when it is engaged your truck will not want to turn,
gravel roads, driveways it's quite noticeable. The slippery the more noticeable that your truck will not like to turn.
???

Of course I don't lock the rear on pavement, but gravel roads isn't noticeable since the tires slip quite easily. Snow and ice I have to turn it on so I can get moving with more than 1 rear tire spinning. Traction control turned off as well. I guess I'm old enough that I grew up without traction control and learned to countersteer. The more slippery it is, the easier it will turn locked.

LouNY

Reaction score
Yea, I grew up without traction control and all the other stuff also.
However with good snow tires on all the way around in the winter when I engage the diff lock in my driveway
I need to disengage it for the 2 sharp turns or it will push the truck out of the turn. The LSD's did the same also.
On a long radius turn the effect isn't felt as much. Also, if I'm having to really push hard to get up the driveway
in deep snow with the diff locked I can drive into the corner fast, back right off the throttle and the truck will
make most of the corner and then I can get back into it.
But, driving up it slow and easy with the diff lock engaged it does not like to turn and pushs the front untill the
inside rear loses traction and lets the outside tire push throgh the corner.

Counter steer is handy at higher speeds and is actually a lot of fun when out playing.
I ran stock cars on dirt for several years and used a bit of counter and throttle steer in those days :D

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t ever had an issue turning with a locked rear any of my wranglers or pickup trucks. Locked front it is harder to turn, but locked rear worked fine. I never used it on dry pavement.

Edit. Saw you additional info about snow. Never ran locked in snow or ice. Just dirt and rocks. Sounds like very low traction might cause a problem I have not personally experienced.

daberk

Reaction score
Do I understand then that if I have the 3.92 axle ratio and E-Locker rear axle that I do NOT have limited slip?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct, it is either Elocker, or anti slip, or open. Elocker unlocked is open. Anti slip is always working.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you just need more throttle input to make the turns. Never had any issues in either of my trucks with limited slip, or lockers, and turning. But then again, I enjoy kicking the rear out in turns and counter steering to make he corner.

LouNY

Reaction score
Sounds like you just need more throttle input to make the turns. Never had any issues in either of my trucks with limited slip, or lockers, and turning. But then again, I enjoy kicking the rear out in turns and counter steering to make he corner.
I replied to an early comment with almost exactly the same comment,
next winter when the driveway has a coating of slick snow or ice if you care to show me you would be most welcome after you sign a release from all the damages your truck would sustain making an extremely tight turn of about 120 degrees maybe a bit more.

For the heck of here is a link to a video the first cure is from about 54 seconds to 1min and 15 seconds,
it is also a 14-16 degree (or 22-25% slope) climb.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I replied to an early comment with almost exactly the same comment,
next winter when the driveway has a coating of slick snow or ice if you care to show me you would be most welcome after you sign a release from all the damages your truck would sustain making an extremely tight turn of about 120 degrees maybe a bit more.

For the heck of here is a link to a video the first cure is from about 54 seconds to 1min and 15 seconds,
it is also a 14-16 degree (or 22-25% slope) climb.
Easy peasy. :p

Users who are viewing this thread