5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Diff vs. E-Locker

DanSkan

Reaction score
I've got the 4x4 with e eLocker and love it. When I know I'm in a place that I might need extra traction I just push the button and the light light comes on and both rear wheels lock in without only one spinning and I drive right out sometimes in 2wd and sometime in 4wd.
Antispin would work just as well most of the time but not all the time. Traction control is not the final answer because first a wheel needs to spin for it to know to engage and then engine limiting control and applying brake on the spinning wheel. Sometimes you dont want engine control and you don't want to apply a brake to a wheel when you trying to get out and want to turn the traction control off.
E Locker doesn't wait for a wheel to spin, some times when a wheel spins it is too late and you get the best traction before the wheel starts spinning.
I have a steep curvy loose stone driveway and most trucks will start spinning one wheel, a lot with open diff, and a little with anti spin or until they turn on the 4wd. With e Locker there is zero spinning, both rear wheels lock in and 4wd is not needed when there is not ice or snow.
With ice and snow 4wd and eLocker drives right out with no spinning most of the time - sometimes you are spinning 3 wheels all the way out and feel lucky you made it out.
4wd low turns off the traction control so don't have that to rely on.
I have traction control on other vehicles and it is good to slow the throttle down to try to keep you from spinning but when I'm stuck or getting stuck I turn the traction control off to get more control, Rev the engine up a little, get the
tires moving and get out.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
E Locker doesn't wait for a wheel to spin, some times when a wheel spins it is too late and you get the best traction before the wheel starts spinning.
This is exactly what I was trying to convey...thanks for the scenarios you described.

Traction control becomes a hindrance when you are actually in sticky situations or already stuck.

I tried to convey that also.

If you have never been/will not be in a situation were traction control would get overwhelmed, regular 4wd will be more than enough for you.

If you get into a situation where traction control will get overwhelmed, the eLocker just paid for itself.

Traction control, 4wd auto and antispin all have to have a wheel slip to work/engage.

4wd hi/lo and eLocker are engaged and ready to perform.

And once again...all of it is personal preference, each one has its advantages/disadvantages.

Good luck with whichever is chosen

Reaction score
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle - The rear differential can be locked with an electronic actuator so both rear wheels receive equal torque all the time for enhanced traction.

• Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle - The rear differential can be locked with an electronic actuator so both rear wheels receive equal torque all the time for enhanced traction.

Does this make sense? Does the LSD on these trucks have an electronic actuator to provide equal torque all the time? It sounds to me like the description for the LSD and the locker are describing the same thing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle - The rear differential can be locked with an electronic actuator so both rear wheels receive equal torque all the time for enhanced traction.
Does this make sense? Does the LSD on these trucks have an electronic actuator to provide equal torque all the time? It sounds to me like the description for the LSD and the locker are describing the same thing.
Yeah, that seems to be incorrect. To my knowledge, it’s a typical mechanical LSD. But whatever...I opted for the ELocker.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We went over this earlier on this thread and others. We believed it to be a mistake and should be the description for the eLocker.

But one never knows lol

19reb

I'm confused.

I can light my tires up in my Rebel and both will spin and leave marks on the road, like an LSD and without the E-locker on. If it were an open diff, both tires would not leave marks on the road. Bringing up the term "one wheel peel".

So, can anyone explain to me how an open diff smokes tires like an LSD? Because an open diff will only spin one tire the last I checked...

Maybe my Rebel has an f'd up rear end with only 1200 miles on it. Doubtful, but definitely possible. If it were f'd up, though, I'd say I would hear a lot of squealing while turning and my tires would be pretty wore out.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm confused.

I can light my tires up in my Rebel and both will spin and leave marks on the road, like an LSD and without the E-locker on. If it were an open diff, both tires would not leave marks on the road. Bringing up the term "one wheel peel".

So, can anyone explain to me how an open diff smokes tires like an LSD? Because an open diff will only spin one tire the last I checked...

Maybe my Rebel has an f'd up rear end with only 1200 miles on it. Doubtful, but definitely possible. If it were f'd up, though, I'd say I would hear a lot of squealing while turning and my tires would be pretty wore out.
It's popped up a few times on the forum, our locker has LSD tendencies due to the electronic stability, brakes applied to offset wheel spin act as a lsd. I have had very few instances of "one wheel peels" so effectively the Locker is also a sudo-LSD. So for the less than technical explanation, but that's the basic principle.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm confused.

Traction control?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Traction control?
Surprisingly works better with traction control off. I think its more a part of stability control since that can only be disabled in 4x4 or by pulling the fuse. I guess the only way to confirm would be to pull the fuse and do a brakestand and see if you still get the LSD effect.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Surprisingly works better with traction control off. I think its more a part of stability control since that can only be disabled in 4x4 or by pulling the fuse. I guess the only way to confirm would be to pull the fuse and do a brakestand and see if you still get the LSD effect.
Sounds like a fun test...preferably on someone else’s truck ;)

parnine

Reaction score
A limited-slip differential is great at providing a degree of automatic correction for unanticipated loss of traction. As you point out, they work pretty well, but they don't guarantee traction in all conditions. As has been discussed on this thread, auto 4WD (if equipped) also helps to compensate for loss of traction, albeit in a very different way, and via a far more complex system. Most of the RWD and 4WD vehicles I've had over the years have been equipped with some form of an LSD, and my current vehicle has both an LSD and auto 4WD (and 4WS, which can make a low traction situation much more fun).

An electronic-locking differential enables the driver to prepare the vehicle for anticipated slippage, effectively pre-locking the axle vs. waiting for the LSD to kick in. This can provide a higher degree of control to the driver, especially if in a situation where sudden vehicle movement due to loss of traction would be undesirable. I've not owned a vehicle with an e-locker, but I look forward to testing it in a 'sticky situation' sometime soon.

What is the difference between activating the 'E-Locker' and putting the truck in 4L?

I assume the 'E-locker' activation only effects the rear axle, so the rear tires are essentially in 4L with E-Locker on while the front remain not powered. Is this correct?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I have the e locker on mine, and had the Limited Slip on my 2012... I like the option of the e locker, but the button is too easy to hit.. and I have accidently turned it on a couple times

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the difference between activating the 'E-Locker' and putting the truck in 4L?

I assume the 'E-locker' activation only effects the rear axle, so the rear tires are essentially in 4L with E-Locker on while the front remain not powered. Is this correct?

4L is via the transfer case so it gives 4WD and lo range gearing.

E-Locker electronically locks the rear axle at the rear diff.

You can do both or either separately. I've had a previous truck (4WD Excursion) high centered with the RF and LR tires on the ground and it wouldn't go anywhere since both axles were open meaning the two tires in the air were spinning. An E-Locker would have allowed me to drive right through it by providing 50% of the rear power to the tire on the ground.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think some members need to do a little more reading about the trucks they're driving. One shouldn't be guessing what a button does in the middle of rush hour.

For those first time 4x4 owners, open and antislip rear end gear sets always allow differing levels of slip. Obviously the open diff means one wheel is the drive wheel. The antislip diff applies power to both wheels (via clutches or braking) at times of reduced tranction or aggressive driving. BUT, will always give smooth cornering and better perceived handling in corners and tight situations.

The locking diffs, be they mechanical or electric, LOCK the diff, giving posi traction, equal distribution to both wheels. You do not want to be taking corners on dry streets with the diff locked... you will find out quickly from the hoppin and chirpin what a locking rear feels like at the wrong time.

I know this has been covered a bazillion times but maybe my simplified explanation might trigger a few searches in the future and save any of us from having to go through another 4x4 e-locker discussion for beginners.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reading the manual )page 160), it said that E Lock could be engaged and run up to 40 mph in 4L but dropped out at 20 mph in 4H. That didn't make sense to me, first, who goes 40 mph in 4L? Second, why would 4H not be able to be locked at speeds above 20 mph?

In a July 24, 2018 post about the differences between E Lock and Anti-spin, SpeedyV gave a good explanation of the two systems, however I was interested in the mph differences.

61F170C3-699E-4B50-B2FD-FC156718250F.jpeg D4E40EFC-108F-40C1-9C2D-1911B82D5290.jpeg

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We went over this earlier on this thread and others. We believed it to be a mistake and should be the description for the eLocker.

But one never knows lol
The manual from my 19’ says nothing about the 35223DE3-9B2E-4930-A806-14E43F804A3E.jpeg LS differential being able to lock (pg 161), and only has 3 short paragraphs that discuss it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the manual )page 160), it said that E Lock could be engaged and run up to 40 mph in 4L but dropped out at 20 mph in 4H. That didn't make sense to me, first, who goes 40 mph in 4L? Second, why would 4H not be able to be locked at speeds above 20 mph?

In a July 24, 2018 post about the differences between E Lock and Anti-spin, SpeedyV gave a good explanation of the two systems, however I was interested in the mph differences.

View attachment 23465 View attachment 23466
1) Agreed...you shouldn't be doing 40 mph in 4L. This effectively keeps the ELocker engaged "at any speed" in the low range. I guess that makes sense.
2) I can't say why a lower speed was selected for 4H. Perhaps the engineers thought 4H would more likely be engaged "on road" in slippery conditions, and you wouldn't want to roll down the road with the axle locked. But that's just a guess.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1) Agreed...you shouldn't be doing 40 mph in 4L. This effectively keeps the ELocker engaged "at any speed" in the low range. I guess that makes sense.
2) I can't say why a lower speed was selected for 4H. Perhaps the engineers thought 4H would more likely be engaged "on road" in slippery conditions, and you wouldn't want to roll down the road with the axle locked. But that's just a guess.
Watch the Powerwagon videos. They show how great the 8 speed makes 4 lo.

The eLocker stays on longer in 4lo because...yes it should only be used in offroad conditions or for maximum pulling power

When I saw this...I tried to see how fast i could go with my 99. I pulled out in 5th gear 4 wheel lo and was only able to hit 30 mph. Andthat was screaming.

Again, the Powerwagon videos...check them out...they are down right flying in 4 lo

Users who are viewing this thread