5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Diff vs. E-Locker

NoMoreV4

Reaction score
I think some members need to do a little more reading about the trucks they're driving. One shouldn't be guessing what a button does in the middle of rush hour.

For those first time 4x4 owners, open and antislip rear end gear sets always allow differing levels of slip. Obviously the open diff means one wheel is the drive wheel. The antislip diff applies power to both wheels (via clutches or braking) at times of reduced tranction or aggressive driving. BUT, will always give smooth cornering and better perceived handling in corners and tight situations.

The locking diffs, be they mechanical or electric, LOCK the diff, giving posi traction, equal distribution to both wheels. You do not want to be taking corners on dry streets with the diff locked... you will find out quickly from the hoppin and chirpin what a locking rear feels like at the wrong time.

I know this has been covered a bazillion times but maybe my simplified explanation might trigger a few searches in the future and save any of us from having to go through another 4x4 e-locker discussion for beginners.
Quick comment. No offense, but a lot of people are simply guessing. This guy commenting above me is CORRECT. I cant believe no one here hasnt torched a limited slip diff! It is NOT an open differential. It is a TRIED and TRUE principle used in cars for decades and decades. It is the engagement of BOTH axles via clutches by essentially locking the pinion gears. This operation is operated by the torque applied to the axle assembly. It really is the BEST option for us mall crawlers that do NOT offroad in sticky mud or sand. Its sole purpose is to provide max torque to both axles when you have it floored or apply torque aggressively. When you make a turn and let off the throttle, the clutches disengage allowing the outside wheel of the turn to slip or turn a higher speed than the wheel on the inside of the turn. Then, you finish the turn and floor it again. Both wheels lock. Period.

Drive an open differential equipped car/truck in the rain and let me know how that works out for ya.(n)

An e-Locker is a pneumatically, hydraulically and now electronically actuated differential that does the same as above but WITHOUT clutches. Its usually a locking pin that engages both axles through the carrier. So, when you make a turn with it locked, NO wheels will slip. You will hear it bark the tires and it may hop around turns if you are too aggressive. NOT good for constant street use while always locked. This is what you want if you off road frequently. The advantage is that you don't have to apply torque aggressively to lock the axles. They will ALWAYS be locked when engaged. Perfect for rock crawling.

I'm an old Mopar guy. After all these years, the Dana 60 LSD still requires 75w-140 (3.92) with 5 ounces of whale sperm. This is the limited slip additive that protects the CLUTCHES. Hasn't changed is freakin decades. ;)

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Quick comment. No offense, but a lot of people are simply guessing. This guy commenting above me is CORRECT.
Correct except for where he says the e-locker gives "posi traction". Posi is Chevy's version of the LSD.

Also, limited slip will still let one wheel spin in situations with extreme.tracrion differential between the two wheels, such as one wheel on ice and the other on dry pavement. The wheel on ice will still spin as the clutches will slip.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what do you get with traction control off, elocker on, and full throttle on dry pavement pulling away from a turn?

Asking for a friend...:ROFLMAO:

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you’d get a lot of binding if your trying that locked on dry pavement if the turn is sharp enough.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you’d get a lot of binding if your trying that locked on dry pavement if the turn is sharp enough.
Once you break traction, it will continue to spin.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It actually drags the inside front wheel while spinning around. :ROFLMAO:

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've driven in tons of rain with my open diff/elocker and I've yet to have a problem with traction. Do y'all just have garbage tires or am I missing something? 😝

MichaelR

Reaction score
I've driven in tons of rain with my open diff/elocker and I've yet to have a problem with traction. Do y'all just have garbage tires or am I missing something? 😝

So… once upon a time when the world was new and carburetors were still a thing they created the limited slip diff. The limited slip differential itself can quickly respond to differences in torque…

However… when the great comet hit and the era of the carburetors died out, new things arose like ABS and traction control. Instead of needing the diff itself respond to traction loss, the traction computers can apply slight amounts of brake pressure to the slipping wheel which will then drive power to the wheel with traction.

While an anti-slip doesn’t need any of that new fangled computer stuff, that computer stuff means an open differential is just fine in the rain.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have a vid of a taxerdt completely turning off stability control and it staying off in 2wd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No video. Just hold down the traction control button for 10 seconds. Dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Have to turn the truck off and and restart to get it active again

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The free option is pulling fuse F26 to disable traction/stability control

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So… once upon a time when the world was new and carburetors were still a thing they created the limited slip diff. The limited slip differential itself can quickly respond to differences in torque…

However… when the great comet hit and the era of the carburetors died out, new things arose like ABS and traction control. Instead of needing the diff itself respond to traction loss, the traction computers can apply slight amounts of brake pressure to the slipping wheel which will then drive power to the wheel with traction.

While an anti-slip doesn’t need any of that new fangled computer stuff, that computer stuff means an open differential is just fine in the rain.
Fantastic explanation. Thanks!

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Correct except for where he says the e-locker gives "posi traction". Posi is Chevy's version of the LSD.

Also, limited slip will still let one wheel spin in situations with extreme.tracrion differential between the two wheels, such as one wheel on ice and the other on dry pavement. The wheel on ice will still spin as the clutches will slip.

To expand on what you mentioned, limited slip differentials (LSD) typically do not go to 100% lock up. They are usually rated in percent, for example 40% lock up, which means the wheel with more traction (the one not spinning) receives up to 40% of the torque from the wheel without traction.

Users who are viewing this thread