5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-Spin Diff vs. E-Locker

1Raider

Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure you wanted the 3.21, I would say they are choosable lol

Just trying to piece together the truth

I understand,could live with the 3.92's just fine and a part of me wanted them...Lol

Reaction score
How hard is it to add anti-spin on an already built truck? Can the dealer do it, at a reasonable cost?

There is Laramie that I am looking at that's set up the way I want but has an open-diff.

Ktar

Reaction score
How hard is it to add anti-spin on an already built truck? Can the dealer do it, at a reasonable cost?

There is Laramie that I am looking at that's set up the way I want but has an open-diff.

LSD usually needs no wiring,
All you need is just the part as far as I know.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
3.92 and e locker here...3.21 listed on the left side and upgraded 3.92 and locker on the right.

937990DB-5A4F-475D-A1F8-467B836907D3.png

MALO

Reaction score
Which is better for doing donuts or burnouts... I have the e-locker and can you change it to a lsd or e-locker?

RBRK

Reaction score
I really like the E locker, turn it on, it locks when below 28 or so mph, still allows you to turn too. Much better than the LSD for me.

runamuck

Reaction score
LSD usually needs no wiring,
All you need is just the part as far as I know.

in the old days it would just mean swapping out the innards of the rear dif. probably stiil doable today but might be pricey

Reaction score
By the way, I ended up getting a truck with anti-spin, but had to drive hundreds of miles and get the Etorque, which I wasn't as keen on, to get it.

NDanecker

Reaction score
All my previous trucks were limited slip. This one is e locker and not to happy. A few times I needed to get out into traffic and my truck turned into a one wheel wonder show. I have not tried the locker yet as I had no need. Sure it will perform great offroad or in sticky situations but as a daily driver around town it stinks in wet or sand on roads. Will not get it again.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
in the old days it would just mean swapping out the innards of the rear dif. probably stiil doable today but might be pricey

Define pricey :) $700 to 800 for the part. $200 to 300 for installation.

Folks here are telling me the Antispin is indeed still a purely mechanical unit... and so swapping in an aftermarket part should be do-able. I further understand that Ram is still using a 9.25" ring gear, same size as the 4th Gen and therefore hopefully lots of options out there.

All my previous trucks were limited slip. This one is e locker and not to happy. A few times I needed to get out into traffic and my truck turned into a one wheel wonder show. I have not tried the locker yet as I had no need. Sure it will perform great offroad or in sticky situations but as a daily driver around town it stinks in wet or sand on roads. Will not get it again.

That should not happen. FCA's TCS BLD is pretty dang good and should have locked up the other wheel.

Reaction score
Define pricey :) $700 to 800 for the part. $200 to 300 for installation.

Folks here are telling me the Antispin is indeed still a purely mechanical unit... and so swapping in an aftermarket part should be do-able. I further understand that Ram is still using a 9.25" ring gear, same size as the 4th Gen and therefore hopefully lots of options out there.

That should not happen. FCA's TCS BLD is pretty dang good and should have locked up the other wheel.
The sales guy had me do it on a test drive on a wet day, and we pealed out, tcs light flashing. Then he had me repeat in awd, and it was okay.

I've to say on a truck with an open diff and awd + tcs is pretty good. But add an anti-spin or elocker and you remove all doubt.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Can one drive with the axle locked all the time ? Then it would act just like a limited slip.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can one drive with the axle locked all the time ? Then it would act just like a limited slip.

In what way would that be remotely similar to limited-slip?!

cw_mi

Reaction score
Yeah you don’t want to do that, especially on dry pavement, lock is not like anti slip, there is no give.
Bummer...i should have went with the anti slip

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rear Axle setups:
Any advice on rear axle's (2019's). eLock vs Anti-slip. Are they worth the money and what does each do, which is better for what?

Not off-roading. I pull a 9,000 lb travel trailer (fully loaded) on to the soft sand beach ever week July-Sept. As long as air down, no problem. Did it with a '13 Avalanche (1500) for years. Snow - only 3 or 4 times a year so not a big deal. So I do not think they would be a must have. Will always be in 4WD so in my thinking that would take care of what they would provide anyway so I am thinking I would not need them. I would rather do the eTorque vs the rears. Will upgrade to larger engine and 3.92 axle.

Any info would be great. About to pull the trigger on a 2019 Limited build this week.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rear Axle setups:
Any advice on rear axle's (2019's). eLock vs Anti-slip. Are they worth the money and what does each do, which is better for what?

Not off-roading. I pull a 9,000 lb travel trailer (fully loaded) on to the soft sand beach ever week July-Sept. As long as air down, no problem. Did it with a '13 Avalanche (1500) for years. Snow - only 3 or 4 times a year so not a big deal. So I do not think they would be a must have. Will always be in 4WD so in my thinking that would take care of what they would provide anyway so I am thinking I would not need them. I would rather do the eTorque vs the rears. Will upgrade to larger engine and 3.92 axle.

Any info would be great. About to pull the trigger on a 2019 Limited build this week.
If just thinking a 9000# trailer in the sand I would tend to say the 3:92 with e-locker since you will be going slow and need the traction, but since you have done this with an Avalanche (which is impressive) I would then say any configured 4x4 Ram would pull as much or more than a Avalanche. IMO the anti-slip or the e-locker just make a great truck a better truck. I’m the type who would pay to have the option even if I thought I would never use it but glad it’s there Incase I do. If you don’t want to worry about when to turn the e-locker on and off and knowing it does shut off over certain speeds than the anti-slip is a great option and would work well together with the traction control system on the road but won’t work as well as e-lock in the sand. Just my thoughts, others may vary, good luck!

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! That's what I'm a bit confused about. If in 4WD on sand (obviously ! ) why would you need an anti-slip as there are 2 front wheels to help pull you through if one of the rear slips. It's a matter of just pulling it out of the slip, and 4WD has 3 wheels to do that. Slip is not an issue, airing down and constant momentum prevents any spin or digging in. I would assume they would only be needed for off roading (rocks) which I don't do, or slipper wet roads, which would be nice, but is it worth the $$. I live in the suburbs near the beach, not desert, forrest, or snow country. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

And I'm also debating eTorque. Is it needed and worth the extra $1,200 invoice addional cost. It would take years to make that back in gas, and who buys trucks to be "green". lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! That's what I'm a bit confused about. If in 4WD on sand (obviously ! ) why would you need an anti-slip as there are 2 front wheels to help pull you through if one of the rear slips. It's a matter of just pulling it out of the slip, and 4WD has 3 wheels to do that. Slip is not an issue, airing down and constant momentum prevents any spin or digging in. I would assume they would only be needed for off roading (rocks) which I don't do, or slipper wet roads, which would be nice, but is it worth the $$. I live in the suburbs near the beach, not desert, forrest, or snow country. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

And I'm also debating eTorque. Is it needed and worth the extra $1,200 invoice addional cost. It would take years to make that back in gas, and who buys trucks to be "green". lol
I will just say this, as these are really a matter of personal preference, it is much cheaper to get them with the truck, than try to add them later.

And i will also say this, traction control is great. It alone makes the truck more stable. But if you take the TC out of it you get this:
  1. In 2wd one rear wheel with open diff. In 4wd one front and one rear wheel with open diff.
  2. So 2wd with eLocker/ antispin you get 2 rear wheels driving and in 4wd get 2 rear and one front.
  3. ELocker allows you to know you have 2 rear wheels locked...much like 4wd high/low.
  4. Antispin has to meet certain criteria to engage...much like 4wd auto.
  5. And any of the above, without knowledge of how to use can either make hard things easy, or can easily make a normal situation bad.
  6. And we are back to traction control helps with making things computer controlled and seemless

Users who are viewing this thread