5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Soooo..... If I want to sell tickets for this little drag challenge, should I schedule them for February 30th, or 31st?? And btw I only accept $2.oo bills for payment :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Soooo..... If I want to sell tickets for this little drag challenge, should I schedule them for February 30th, or 31st?? And btw I only accept $2.oo bills for payment :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
As the undisputed and self-proclaimed Ram drag racing champ, I'll defer and let the challenger decide. 31st works better for my schedule, but I'll totally show up either day.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do I get to join the race?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree that it's silly for anyone to find these trucks fast. They have a torque, and torque makes things feel quick, but they are what they are. They're bricks on wheels with above average acceleration with either gear set. Average is still slow and so is above average. That said, I drive like a grandpa. I got all the speed demon out of my system in and right after college. I wrenched on and drove plenty of 10 - 11 second 1/4 mile vehicles. They're a blast, but these days I just want to leave early, get where I'm going early and pretty much avoid the moronic actions of everyone else on the road.

I think doing a ton of stupid crap in your youth brings that side of things out when you're older. Also, for my Limited, my payload is so low that I don't think 3.92's would bump my max tow up all that much. At the end of the day, if I was going to do a bunch of serious towing I would have ordered a 2500 and made it all easier on myself.

But that's too much serious talk for a fun thread. In the meantime I'm gonna laugh at all the 'necks with 3.92's, jacked up trucks rolling on 35's impressing no one. Gotta blow that tax return on something other than savings!
10-11 sec 1/4 mile isn't impressive anymore when there are several cars that do that right off the showroom floor. Before I put a hole in the piston, my 2000 Dakota was good for high 11's on a day with good DA. And I was one of the slower guys in my local car group I hang out with. And I'm 45 yo, got into speed in my younger days, and still crave it. Granted I don't mess around in the street like I used to. Keep it to the track mostly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you think its stupid then I'm fairly sure you've not owned a car with true power. It gets old sometimes, driving around on drag radials everywhere because street tires spin in the 1st 4 gears with barely any throttle input. My Z06 makes 430 lbft of tq at 2400 rpm in a 3100lb car with a twin ceramic disk clutch. It gets tiring and every time I get in this truck, the last thing I want is fast.
Always easy to tell those who've tasted power and those who haven't.

As for the 3.21 savings, thats be proven so its no claim. to the weenies part, you think 3.92 changes anything in performance? Holy S that's funny, this truck will never be fast, a TRX isnt fast.
Never gets old driving in drag radials.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RIF, I did get the best option for me, for you it may be different. As I said above, I have a 700hp car, I don't need or want this truck to be fast nor will it be with 3.92 gears. The truck performing better is, IMO, a fallacy at worst and negligible at best.
Also as I said above, I passed on 3.92 trucks on purpose so no, I didn't not "order" the best option from the start. I do laugh at people thinking 3.92 makes these trucks rockets though.
But for grins, I'd bet money my 3.21 truck is quicker than most of your 3.92 trucks. I'd bet my truck is 5-700lbs lighter than most of these 3.92, that alone negates your "performance advantage".
I'd put money down on beating you on the drag strip racing 1/8th mile. Stock tires to stock tires.

The Hound 2021

Reaction score
Well played, it's almost like there's no perfect fit 🤔
Yes there is. 3:92 for all your needs up to 37" tires. Then it's time for something different.

Of course there will always be that 3:21 guy lugging his motor doing 900 rpm at 60 with 40 inch tires swearing he gets 75 miles to the gallon because gas milage is only measured by rpm.

The Hound 2021

Reaction score
Who wants to start a "Limited Slip is better than Locker" thread so we can argue on that one too?

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, but wait you don't accept a twoony?

Attachments

• 20220224_205213.jpg
    20220224_205213.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread