5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say it makes you an idiot, it just relative to ones risk tolerance. I would enjoy the chance to do it, but if I get caught there are ramifications to my job. Plus, if a random deer jumps out, then you in trouble.

That being said, when I was ~20 years old, I remember topping out a 2009 Ford Focus at ~109 miles per hour on a random interstate in Indiana. So glass houses and all….
Yea, when I look back…. I get on my knees and thank the good LORD I’m still alive.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably not many people as it would take an unlocked PCM and custom tune. And usually when you get to that point, you have other modifications, so not comparable to a stock truck
Touché
I don’t know what that means. But I pull it out occasionally. When I pull it out to use it on my wife… she rolls her eyes and it really pisses her off, so it must be a good word.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Touché
I don’t know what that means. But I pull it out occasionally. When I pull it out to use it on my wife… she rolls her eyes and it really pisses her off, so it must be a good word.
She's probably just upset that you still pull out.

Ramjack

Reaction score
This whole thread is provoking a response. It’s literally Troll gold. But I don’t think fast is relative. Fast is fast. The fastest slug is not fast. Neither is the 5.7 hemi. And to the 5.0, look at drag times for stock 5.0’s, not TFL. They do a terrible job at 0-60 times. I love everything else they offer.
TFL does a "terrible job" at 0-60 times because they are (at least) a mile above sea level. They also disclose that in every video, multiple times.

Ramjack

Reaction score
3.5L EcoBoost isn’t designed for major towing/hauling. That’s why you’ll never find it in a F-250/F-350.

Aluminum block < Cast iron block
Well, if we're being entirely honest, the 2.7L Ecoboost has a compacted graphite iron block. Very stout.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
TFL does a "terrible job" at 0-60 times because they are (at least) a mile above sea level. They also disclose that in every video, multiple times.
That has nothing to do with my opinion. Watch some more of their videos. When you ‘oops’ so many times because TC, 4x4, etc., it’s not really indicative. TFL’s 0-60 is just that… TFL’s 0-60. Not really indicative of that particular trucks actual 0-60 times. There are better resources for that. Again, I like what they offer in regards to displaying other capabilities and they are in fact one of my favorite resources for truck info. Just not 0-60 times. I also don’t really prioritize that metric in a truck either. Outside of a select few, they’re all slow.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, if we're being entirely honest, the 2.7L Ecoboost has a compacted graphite iron block. Very stout.
Agreed. I don’t understand why Ford doesn’t do that for the 3.5L too

I’d take 2.7L > 3.5L for that alone

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right. And for automobiles on the road, most trucks are slow. This includes yours. I know, truth hurts.
Actually, unless you have a NA V6, most new(within last 5-6 years) trucks on the road are faster than most of the cars on the road.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right. And for automobiles on the road, most trucks are slow. This includes yours. I know, truth hurts.
What? In a sea of Corrolas, Accords, and Altimas, the best you could argue is that trucks are above average.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
What? In a sea of Corrolas, Accords, and Altimas, the best you could argue is that trucks are above average.
No, in the sea of mustang’s, camaro’s, challengers, STI’s, civic-r…. Wait wait. Severals models of BMW’s, Audis, Mercedes’, Cadillacs…… all of which are plentiful on the road. Plenty of SUV’s in there too. But yea, keep telling yourself your ‘fast’ because you smoked a Corolla. Sounds just like you.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score

Agreed….that will change with EVs, but the majority of your mid-size SUVs, Sedans, and down are slower. The 2022 CR-V is a benchmark vehicle and see a 7.6-8.0 0-60 time.

I think I lost the bubble on this topic. Trucks are expensive and utility luxury vehicles. You can get a corvette starting at ~$61,000. If you are after speed go get that or a luxury EV, or hell, even a RAV4 prime. If you must have a truck and speed is at the top of your list, then you probably are after a TRX or RAPTOR, or even on of the upcoming EVs.

We can argue all we want, but speed will remain relative. I don’t think I have owned a vehicle, including a sporty turbo charged suv (which I thought were fast, until looking up the 0-60 in hindsight), that is faster than the 3.92, 5.7 Ram. So for me it is fast, as in if I need to get up and go merging on 95, I won’t have any issues. I am buying it for the utility.

No one can debate that my truck will be slow compared to the Mach-E GT I often see at a near by stoplight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, in the sea of mustang’s, camaro’s, challengers, STI’s, civic-r…. Wait wait. Severals models of BMW’s, Audis, Mercedes’, Cadillacs…… all of which are plentiful on the road. Plenty of SUV’s in there too. But yea, keep telling yourself your ‘fast’ because you smoked a Corolla. Sounds just like you.
Lol, those cars aren't anywhere near the most popular. F-150, Silverado, Ram...all more popular than any of them.

And no, I don't race my truck around. The exact opposite. Not going to hit 36 mpg driving like that.

You're flailing.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram really needs to edit their window stickers for this 30+ mpg out of a 3.92 hemi.

They may want your truck back at their factory to see just how it does it!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram really needs to edit their window stickers for this 30+ mpg out of a 3.92 hemi.

They may want your truck back at their factory to see just how it does it!

Maybe I can get a free TRX, kind of like they do with the million mile trucks. See if I can get 30+ mpg out of that one. :LOL:

Gibby0311

Reaction score
Lol, those cars aren't anywhere near the most popular. F-150, Silverado, Ram...all more popular than any of them.

And no, I don't race my truck around. The exact opposite. Not going to hit 36 mpg driving like that.

You're flailing.
Who said anything about a popularity contest? L. And to F150, Ram, and Silverado point…. The 5.7 with the magic 3.92 is bested by at least one engine option (in Fords case, multiple) from each of them. Another L. The your 5.7 may be faster than the struggle bus your riding though. At least you have that going for you.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who said anything about a popularity contest? L. And to F150, Ram, and Silverado point…. The 5.7 with the magic 3.92 is bested by at least one engine option (in Fords case, multiple) from each of them. Another L. The your 5.7 may be faster than the struggle bus your riding though. At least you have that going for you.
Fast is relative, as many others have pointed out to you. To a Z06, the TRX is slow. To Top Fuel, Corvettes are slow. To a Ram with the man gears, the woman gears are slow.

This shouldn't be difficult to understand, speaking of the struggle bus.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fast is relative, as many others have pointed out to you. To a Z06, the TRX is slow. To Top Fuel, Corvettes are slow. To a Ram with the man gears, the woman gears are slow.

This shouldn't be difficult to understand, speaking of the struggle bus.
Id be willing to bet, on the street with your average Corvette owner, if a TRX pulled up and wanted to race, the AWD TRX will absolutely own the Z06.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread