5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
But compared to the 2.7 eco, 3.5 eco, and 5.0 coyote trucks, it’s slow. Compared to a similarly priced performance or sports car, it’s really slow. Moral of the story, it’s not fast. I don’t pretend it’s fast. I don’t need it to be fast. If you read my comment, you would see that. Moving on.

A quick YouTube search you that the coyote and ram are neck and neck (TFL I believe the channel). The coyote wins vs a hemi with a 3.21 gear ratio. So the 3.92 would likely eck out the win.

I’m not denying your points on the ford comparison. That is a well known quantity at this point. There are pluses and minuses on both sides.

I think fast is relative, but to each their own.

I just read your comments - maybe I didn’t go back far enough but “laughing in ecoboost” is going to provoke a reaction here - and I think you knew that when you typed it. That being said, the comment that followed in response to you was uncalled, as I don’t see how gender matters here. So I’m sorry, both for that and because originally, as you stated, I did not read your original message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibby0311

Reaction score
A quick YouTube search you that the coyote and ram are neck and neck (TFL I believe the channel). The coyote wins vs a hemi with a 3.21 gear ratio. So the 3.92 would likely eck out the win.

I’m not denying your points on the ford comparison. That is a well known quantity at this point. There are pluses and minuses on both sides.

I just read your comments - maybe I didn’t go back far enough but “laughing in ecoboost” is going to provoke a reaction here - and I think you knew that when you typed it. That being said, the comment that followed in response to you was uncalled, as I don’t see how gender matters here. So I’m sorry, both for that and because originally, as you stated, I did not read your original message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This whole thread is provoking a response. It’s literally Troll gold. But I don’t think fast is relative. Fast is fast. The fastest slug is not fast. Neither is the 5.7 hemi. And to the 5.0, look at drag times for stock 5.0’s, not TFL. They do a terrible job at 0-60 times. I love everything else they offer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But compared to the 2.7 eco, 3.5 eco, and 5.0 coyote trucks, it’s slow. Compared to a similarly priced performance or sports car, it’s really slow. Moral of the story, it’s not fast. I don’t pretend it’s fast. I don’t need it to be fast. If you read my comment, you would see that. Moving on.
Not sure what Ecoboost you've been driving, but without a tune, the Hemi is faster than the 2.7 ecoboost in the 1/4. Once you start modifying vehicles, fair comparison go out the window

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's all perspective. I think 0-60 in 6 seconds is fast for 2.5 tons that can go off road. Many years ago in the late 90's 0-60 in 6 seconds was considered fast for a sports car, cant imagine what the 0-60 was on the 1500 at the time

What did the slug say when riding on the turtle?

Screenshot_20220329-085134~2.png

Gibby0311

Reaction score
This whole thread is provoking a response. It’s literally Troll gold. But I don’t think fast is relative. Fast is fast. The fastest slug is not fast. Neither is the 5.7 hemi. And to the 5.0, look at drag times for stock 5.0’s, not TFL. They do a terrible job at 0-60 times. I love everything else they offer.
Maybe the slug analogy is bad. But in the street auto world. Considering rockets and such…..

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's all perspective. I think 0-60 in 6 seconds is fast for 2.5 tons that can go off road. Many years ago in the late 90's 0-60 in 6 seconds was considered fast for a sports car, cant imagine what the 0-60 was on the 1500 at the time
Nah, 6 seconds is slow.
3.7 seconds ... that's fast.
1648558860465.png

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t officially call “ Knock If Off”, so technically I’m still in the fight.
I really don’t get the women gear thing coming some from 3.92 folks….. because my women at home are frikin race car drivers, they scare the sh** out of me every time I ride with either of them, even though they are MUCH betters drivers than me. From my experience, the women gears are 3.92, those have better acceleration, but way slower top end. When I’m on the expressway with my girls driving, I am fairly certain I might die, but Love the crap out of them.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Note to self. Women are faster. 3.21 is faster.
Well dang it, 3.21 are women gears.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t officially call “ Knock If Off”, so technically I’m still in the fight.
I really don’t get the women gear thing coming some from 3.92 folks….. because my women at home are frikin race car drivers, they scare the sh** out of me every time I ride with either of them, even though they are MUCH betters drivers than me. From my experience, the women gears are 3.92, those have better acceleration, but way slower top end. When I’m on the expressway with my girls driving, I am fairly certain I might die, but Love the crap out of them.
Top end is speed limited by the PCM. Doesn't matter what gear set you have. I have zero issues hitting the speed limiter, with my 3.92, well before I even get into either of the OD gears in transmission. And you might be surprised that the 3.21 may hid drag limit of speed before the 3.92 because of better gearing. These trucks dont exactly slice through the air.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Note to self. Women are faster. 3.21 is faster.
Well dang it, 3.21 are women gears.
montypython-draw.gif

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Top end is speed limited by the PCM. Doesn't matter what gear set you have. I have zero issues hitting the speed limiter, with my 3.92, well before I even get into either of the OD gears in transmission. And you might be surprised that the 3.21 may hid drag limit of speed before the 3.92 because of better gearing. These trucks dont exactly slice through the air.
I have not tested that, and I’m not an idiot, so I won’t. Not sure I agree with all the “better gearing” bull****, but I really don’t want to re engage. I was just trying to be funny. There are much funnier people on here, so I might stop now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have not tested that, and I’m not an idiot, so I won’t. Not sure I agree with all the “better gearing” bull****, but I really don’t want to re engage. I was just trying to be funny. There are much funnier people on here, so I might stop now.
Why does testing the top speed make one an ldiot? Open road, no traffic, let it fly. Truck was remarkable stable at 105 when it kicks in

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why does testing the top speed make one an ldiot? Open road, no traffic, let it fly. Truck was remarkable stable at 105 when it kicks in
Uh…. only thing I want to fly in is a jet.
Start a pole, see who has tested their drag limit speed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Uh…. only thing I want to fly in is a jet.
Start a pole, see who has tested their drag limit speed.
Probably not many people as it would take an unlocked PCM and custom tune. And usually when you get to that point, you have other modifications, so not comparable to a stock truck

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say it makes you an idiot, it just relative to ones risk tolerance. I would enjoy the chance to do it, but if I get caught there are ramifications to my job. Plus, if a random deer jumps out, then you in trouble.

That being said, when I was ~20 years old, I remember topping out a 2009 Ford Focus at ~109 miles per hour on a random interstate in Indiana. So glass houses and all….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread