5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good thing Vettes don't weigh much, and have good aero.

No but that trailer was heavy AF. All steel Max D with all options, 5500lbs.
Air ride, Air compressor, two batteries, winch, power trailer tongue jack. Air ride on the truck disabled after I loaded the car

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No but that trailer was heavy AF. All steel Max D with all options, 5500lbs.
Air ride, Air compressor, two batteries, winch, power trailer tongue jack. Air ride on the truck disabled after I loaded the car
Yeah looked like a pretty hefty trailer

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Mountain Peanut 3.21's about to put in some work

View attachment 149346
Nice! So you had a buddy with a 3.92 truck tow that over for you and then hooked up for the Pic? Good job!

Wish I had that trailer right now. Just went to NC and bought a 300 SRT8. My wife didn't want to finish the last 3 hours of the drive back so we had to stop at a hotel. Now I look outside at the rain. Just what I wanted. I would rather of loaded up and just drove.

trainman

Reaction score
I spoke on this sometime ago and I was towing a 23 foot Oliver travel trailer with my RAM 1500 5.7 4x4 with a 3:21 rear axle and the stock 26 gal tank. If I replace my 2019 RAM with a new one in 2024 I will get the same combination on my new truck, why, because it works.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I spoke on this sometime ago and I was towing a 23 foot Oliver travel trailer with my RAM 1500 5.7 4x4 with a 3:21 rear axle and the stock 26 gal tank. If I replace my 2019 RAM with a new one in 2024 I will get the same combination on my new truck, why, because it works.
This "works" as well, but I definitely wouldn't be trying that myself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230516-105924.png
    Screenshot_20230516-105924.png
    783.6 KB · Views: 35

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
23 foot Oliver travel trailer

I mean...

image-jpg.52982

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
34 gallon fuel tank.

One more than @Mountain Whiskey
How can you haul all that fuel?!? 😆

I can't believe you moved over to the dark side and got a Ford. Hey, really, are the guys on the Ford forum as fun?

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you. If I see you while you are broke down on the side of the road, I'll still stop and give you a lift!

(Full disclosure, I was raised on Fords as my dad was a mechanic at a Ford dealer after he retired from the Air Force. He's not around anymore to fix my mechanical messes so my brand loyalty has wavered.)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How can you haul all that fuel?!? 😆

I can't believe you moved over to the dark side and got a Ford. Hey, really, are the guys on the Ford forum as fun?

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you. If I see you while you are broke down on the side of the road, I'll still stop and give you a lift!

(Full disclosure, I was raised on Fords as my dad was a mechanic at a Ford dealer after he retired from the Air Force. He's not around anymore to fix my mechanical messes so my brand loyalty has wavered.)
Have you seen the new payload? 3467 lbs! I can even drive around with a full tank and a spare tire. :LOL:

I'll be sticking around here, and will probably be back in a Ram if they ever decide to update the HD trucks.

I was raised on GM. Dad works for them. He was very happy that I bought a Ram. He said "at least it isn't a Ford." Well...

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Have you seen the new payload? 3467 lbs! I can even drive around with a full tank and a spare tire. :LOL:

I'll be sticking around here, and will probably be back in a Ram if they ever decide to update the HD trucks.

I was raised on GM. Dad works for them. He was very happy that I bought a Ram. He said "at least it isn't a Ford." Well...
Next thing we know you will have a Jerry can with extra fuel. What is the world coming too? 🤣

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear an unbiased and honest review from somebody who has had the HEMI engine with 3.21 and 3.92 gears both. How do they really feel while towing? The same? One is noticeably better? One sees much better MPG? Or are they really the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread