5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
if it’s even possible to get this thread back on the rails…which is better with 35 inch tires? assuming the 5.7
Rails are right under the tires. The truck runs great with 3.92s and 35s. Lower gears are a must with bigger tires. This is especially true if you go with heavier mud treads.

Tell you what, towing on I-70W and these side roads through the Rockies, I'm glad I have the 3.92s.

I'm jealous. I have never been through the young mountain range in the west. Just the worn old Appalachian range here. I'd love to head out there and see a Dark Sky park when it's clear.

If you brought some eastern shine with you there might be some good goog fishing on those side road campsites!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rails are right under the tires. The truck runs great with 3.92s and 35s. Lower gears are a must with bigger tires. This is especially true if you go with heavier mud treads.

I'm jealous. I have never been through the young mountain range in the west. Just the worn old Appalachian range here. I'd love to head out there and see a Dark Sky park when it's clear.

If you brought some eastern shine with you there might be some good goog fishing on those side road campsites!

If I had 3.21s, probably would've had to stop in Denver.

20220809_062308.jpg

NHRoadking

Reaction score
Got my 2022 with 3.21.

Plenty of power and great gas mileage. I drove the same truck the the 3.92. It was a bit quicker off the line but busier on the the highway. My F150 had a 3.55, a nice compromise.

It's nice to have choices.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's still no way in hell I'd ever buy another truck with 3.21s, but I do at least feel a little better about this axle ratio after I was able to take my cousin to the wood shed in a roll race (in Mexico) last week. His truck is a 2020 F-250 Supercrew FX4 with the Powerstroke. 1,050 lb/ft of torque from the factory, 10 speed trans, and 3.73 axle I'm pretty sure. Gave him a one truck length handicap and we both hit the throttle at about 35 MPH and I ended up putting a school bus length on him. Honestly we were both surprised :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread