5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Hugearse

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently upgraded my halogens to the led headlights from recon and I can't figure out what to change to get the halos to light up instead of my turn signal lights. Of course that's even if the halogen trucks are capable of doing that. I've already changed my drls from my headlight to the front turn signals. I feel like I'm still missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently upgraded my halogens to the led headlights from recon and I can't figure out what to change to get the halos to light up instead of my turn signal lights. Of course that's even if the halogen trucks are capable of doing that. I've already changed my drls from my headlight to the front turn signals. I feel like I'm still missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
The fastest way to figure this out might be to reach out to Recon.

I imagine you will need to tap a wire/fuse that is switched on/off with the accessory or run a switch to power the DRL's.

The stock upper/lower bars on the oem full led headlights uses a alfa setting called signature lights. They are not DRL's actually. Very dim lights.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Hugearse

Reaction score
The fastest way to figure this out might be to reach out to Recon.

I imagine you will need to tap a wire/fuse that is switched on/off with the accessory or run a switch to power the DRL's.

The stock upper/lower bars on the oem full led headlights uses a alfa setting called signature lights. They are not DRL's actually. Very dim lights.

Good luck.
I might have to do that. When I got them I was surprised to see that there wasn't a separate wire harness to run for those lights like all the videos I've seen for similar lights. It's all wired into the factory plug.
I'll have to check out that setting on the app and see if I have any luck with it.
Thanks for the info.

dmitriy

Reaction score
Something strange also happened to my 8.4 Nav today. Updated to Qr 39 a few days ago and enabled off-road and performance page with Alfa and today they disappeared. Haven’t gone out to the truck yet to try again with Alfa. Just found it strange that it is all gone.

Anyone have any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone been successful in getting the pages to work on the 8.4 Nav on 39.6.0 (US) ?
The main reason I was this is for temp gauges if towing to show up all on 1 screen.

rosenzuechter1

Reaction score

Tpms delete with Alfaobd​

Hello,

sorry for my bad englisch i am from germany.
My car is a 2021 Gen5 limited black 1500

So i did everything on the video vehconfig 7 i changed to logic 2 disable warning.
I dont reset the hub.
I put the batterie off.
On the next day i put the batterie again on and start the engine.
The yellow lamp was on an i hear 2 beeps.
Today i drove 400 Kilometers and all lghts are out :)
So it is possible to disaple the hole tpms system only with alfaobd.
I bought me new wheels with 35 inch tyrers without tpms sensors.
vehconfig 7 tpms configuration: and than logic 2.

sman301

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know if ALpha OBD can program keys for the 5th gen rams?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know if ALpha OBD can program keys for the 5th gen rams?
No, it cannot. You have to be able to read the security code and AlfaODB doesn't have that ability.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Does anyone know that Alfa OBD can change rear side markers from amber to red and in front amber to white?

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
You can't change colors that aren't there.
I saw that on those light shows with a tazer dt that those amber lights can also show red. So I wonder if that the possibility could be there for just the lights without a light show. And it seems you can program more with Alfa OBD instead of a Tazer DT

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that on those light shows with a tazer dt that those amber lights can also show red. So I wonder if that the possibility could be there for just the lights without a light show. And it seems you can program more with Alfa OBD instead of a Tazer DT
On the rears, your turn signal is amber, brake lights are red. You could rewire it so it doesn't flash the amber turn signal on the rear, just the red brake light

TSL

Reaction score
Couple of Alfa OBD newbie questions here. I've seen so many references to what Alfa OBD can do on this thread and scattered elsewhere throughout the forum that I've getting increasingly interested in investigating it. I have a '22 Rebel EcoDiesel.
Here's what I think I know :
1) I need to buy the Alfa OBD software. I see there's an Android and a PC version. Is it personal preference which to use or is one generally thought better than the other ?
I'm guessing the bigger the screen the better for working with the software, which might be a vote in favor of running it on a laptop.
I have a Galaxy S22 phone which has a decent screen but still small. I've seen some folks suggest getting a cheap android tablet, perhaps that's better than any phone screen ?
2) I need a cable of some sort to connect whatever device is running the software to the truck.
I see Alfa OBD suggest either a bluetooth (OBDLink MX+ ) or cable ( OBDLink EX ), with the latter being a standard USB Type A plug. That would work on a laptop but not on my phone which has USB C connector ( I think ). So I'd need an adapter for that.
3) I've seen reference to a Security Gateway bypass required but haven't quite figured out what I need there or if I need anything.

Appreciate any jump-start answers from the forum, there's 91 pages here on this thread, I've scanned through some of them and ran some searches but still have these questions

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Couple of Alfa OBD newbie questions here. I've seen so many references to what Alfa OBD can do on this thread and scattered elsewhere throughout the forum that I've getting increasingly interested in investigating it. I have a '22 Rebel EcoDiesel.
1) I need to buy the Alfa OBD software. I see there's an Android and a PC version. Is it personal preference which to use or is one generally thought better than the other ?
I'm guessing the bigger the screen the better for working with the software, which might be a vote in favor of running it on a laptop.
I have a Galaxy S22 phone which has a decent screen but still small. I've seen some folks suggest getting a cheap android tablet, perhaps that's better than any phone screen ?
2) I need a cable of some sort to connect whatever device is running the software to the truck.
I see Alfa OBD suggest either a bluetooth (OBDLink MX+ ) or cable ( OBDLink EX ), with the latter being a standard USB Type A plug. That would work on a laptop but not on my phone which has USB C connector ( I think ). So I'd need an adapter for that.
3) I've seen reference to a Security Gateway bypass required but haven't quite figured out what I need there or if I need anything.

Appreciate any jump-start answers from the forum, there's 91 pages here on this thread, I've scanned through some of them and ran some searches but still have these questions
Search Amazon for SGW Bypass. You can use a cheap Bluetooth ODB interface. You only need the expensive one for certain things, but if you aren't adding factory options, you will be fine. I've added a lot of factory options and only needed the expensive one for 1 thing. The PC version is a little easier to use, but I've used the Android version for 98% of everything I've done.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Get the android version. Easier to use than PC version. Your phone is fine. Use the Bluetooth adapter. Yes you need a SGW bypass. Can be either a module or cable.

Reactions: TSL

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score

If you do this right you can get everything you'll need for right around $100 if you use your current galaxy phone. The alfaobd app is $50, the bypass cable I use was $23 and you can get a bluetooth adapter for about $25. I use the expensive bluetooth adapter and my galaxy s22+ phone and it works great.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This adapter does everything the obdlink mx+ does on our platforms at less than half the cost.
Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows https://a.co/d/bFT8mRt

ETA: meant to link this one.

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iPhone iOS, Android & Windows https://a.co/d/2c1TjdX

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This adapter does everything the obdlink mx+ does on our platforms at less than half the cost.
Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android & Windows https://a.co/d/bFT8mRt
There are cheaper options than that, which will work for 99% of those trying to do things with alfaObd

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are cheaper options than that, which will work for 99% of those trying to do things with alfaObd
That may be but it's not what I said. The vgate will do everything the mx+ will do for less.

To quote the great @Jimmy07

"While basic scanners like yours are fine for a wide range of vehicles, I just want the OP to know that the type of scanner you’re using can only scan the engine module (and *maybe* the abs module) for faults. It can’t connect to, or scan any other modules on the truck."

He goes on to say,
"On another note for anyone else- I know the MX+ has always been the top recommended interface, but they’ve raised their price up over the years, and now it’s at $140.
I’ve been doing a lot of testing lately with the vLinker MC+ ($60), and it’s now the one I would recommend. It does everything the MX+ does, and has the same features. I’ve configured entire BCMs on the bench with it, changing one setting right after another, and no hiccups or disconnect issues."

Personally I wouldn't spend money on something that may not work when I need to do more than one thing.

Users who are viewing this thread