5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That may be but it's not what I said. The vgate will do everything the mx+ will do for less.

To quote the great @Jimmy07

"While basic scanners like yours are fine for a wide range of vehicles, I just want the OP to know that the type of scanner you’re using can only scan the engine module (and *maybe* the abs module) for faults. It can’t connect to, or scan any other modules on the truck."

He goes on to say,
"On another note for anyone else- I know the MX+ has always been the top recommended interface, but they’ve raised their price up over the years, and now it’s at $140.
I’ve been doing a lot of testing lately with the vLinker MC+ ($60), and it’s now the one I would recommend. It does everything the MX+ does, and has the same features. I’ve configured entire BCMs on the bench with it, changing one setting right after another, and no hiccups or disconnect issues."

Personally I wouldn't spend money on something that may not work when I need to do more than one thing.
Personally, the BAFX adapter has done everything I wanted it for, including multiple changes at the same time, and it's only $17. I'm not trying to configure entire BCMs, or update multiple different modules. For what most alfaObd users in this forum want the app for, the $17 adapter will fit their needs

for Android Phones ONLY - Wireless Bluetooth Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader and Scan Tool for All 1996 & Newer Vehicles ELM327 Compatible OBDII https://a.co/d/3ma23qk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I Have a BAFX and it's not been reliable. I also had to resolder some annular cracks on the pcb and replace a capacitor. Most people are just going to throw it in the trash and spend more money on a replacement.

Buy once, cry once.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I Have a BAFX and it's not been reliable. I also had to resolder some annular cracks on the pcb and replace a capacitor. Most people are just going to throw it in the trash and spend more money on a replacement.

Buy once, cry once.
Mines been good for two years. Use it with my TorquePro app as well. Stays in my center console.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, the BAFX adapter has done everything I wanted it for, including multiple changes at the same time, and it's only $17. I'm not trying to configure entire BCMs, or update multiple different modules. For what most alfaObd users in this forum want the app for, the $17 adapter will fit their needs

for Android Phones ONLY - Wireless Bluetooth Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader and Scan Tool for All 1996 & Newer Vehicles ELM327 Compatible OBDII https://a.co/d/3ma23qk
I would rather make sure everyone that’s asking “which adapter” is aware of what each one is or isn’t capable of.
The one I get messaged about the most is “I added surround view, and I can’t connect to the CVPM to calibrate the cameras”. I ask which interface they’re using, and it’s always “I got the cheap one everyone recommended”.
Sometimes they should just buy once, cry once, so they have full capabilities, but it doesn’t have to be the expensive MX+ anymore.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would rather make sure everyone that’s asking “which adapter” is aware of what each one is or isn’t capable of.
The one I get messaged about the most is “I added surround view, and I can’t connect to the CVPM to calibrate the cameras”. I ask which interface they’re using, and it’s always “I got the cheap one everyone recommended”.
Sometimes they should just buy once, cry once, so they have full capabilities, but it doesn’t have to be the expensive MX+ anymore.
Hey, I resemble that remark. Lol. I made sure to include that in my how to.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Should all depend on what they are trying to do with it. For most people the cheaper one will do everything they want. It's served me well. Some barely want to spend $50 on the alfaObd app. If they have to spend $60+ on an adapter, and then more for a SGW bypass, it will sway them away from even trying. I'd rather buy a $17 adapter that will do everything I want, than spending $60 on one that I will never need the added capabilities of. If they need the added capabilities, then but the more expensive one. If they don't realize it until after the fact, then they are only out $17 that can be recovered selling the cheaper one. I've seen people on local marketplace selling cheap $12 adapters for $30.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL! I know, you were one of them! That’s good that you included it in the writeup.
This is where a comprehensive list of what can be done with alfaObd, and what changes will need more expensive adapters would be helpful. I know it's been asked for more than once.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I adjusted my tire size for my 35" tires. Now, I'm getting an AEB Service Required message. Will it go away? Or do I need to do something?

TSL

Reaction score
OK, so there's a range of adapters and a range of opinions on which ones are best ! It's what I like about this forum, lots of varied real world experience on various options.
But I do have another basic question. I've figured out, thanks to you guys, that I need (1) the software, (2) an adapter, and (3) a security module by pass cable.
So I see now, having looked on Amazon and YouTube, that I don't plug anything into the standard OBD port on the truck. Instead I have to un-plug two cables and plug them into this by-pass cable which in turn as an OBD connector on it's other end, which is where the blue tooth adapter goes.
I just took a look under the dash panels under the steering wheel on my truck. I see a number of plugs in there !
I guess it'll be obvious when I get the by pass cable as to what I need to un plug, it looks like it's on the left hand side, up high, more or less behind the head light control switch ? Am I on the right track ? Does this video correctly describe the plug locations I'm looking for ? Near the end of it he shows plugging them back into the truck again

thanks guys for inputs.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OK, so there's a range of adapters and a range of opinions on which ones are best ! It's what I like about this forum, lots of varied real world experience on various options.
But I do have another basic question. I've figured out, thanks to you guys, that I need (1) the software, (2) an adapter, and (3) a security module by pass cable.
So I see now, having looked on Amazon and YouTube, that I don't plug anything into the standard OBD port on the truck. Instead I have to un-plug two cables and plug them into this by-pass cable which in turn as an OBD connector on it's other end, which is where the blue tooth adapter goes.
I just took a look under the dash panels under the steering wheel on my truck. I see a number of plugs in there !
I guess it'll be obvious when I get the by pass cable as to what I need to un plug, it looks like it's on the left hand side, up high, more or less behind the head light control switch ? Am I on the right track ? Does this video correctly describe the plug locations I'm looking for ? Near the end of it he shows plugging them back into the truck again

thanks guys for inputs.

Not all of the security bypasses are cables. I bought one that just plugs into the module and my OBD2 device plugs into the OBD port. Here's a link to a post I made with a pic of the security gateway module.
Where to plug in Autostop Eliminator 2021 RAM Laramie

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

thanks guys for inputs.
Video is decent representation. I have a TazerDT which acts as a security bypass. So my OBD2 adapter just plugs into the regular OBD port. The TazerDT gives me some "live" functions that alfaOBD can't do.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Video is decent representation. I have a TazerDT which acts as a security bypass. So my OBD2 adapter just plugs into the regular OBD port. The TazerDT gives me some "live" functions that alfaOBD can't do.
That is always the tricky one. Which one to buy? The AlfaOBD or the Tazer DT, as they seems to do similar things. With the only reason that the Tazer DT is plug and play but WAAAY more expensive then the 3 things combined to program via AlfaOBD.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is always the tricky one. Which one to buy? The AlfaOBD or the Tazer DT, as they seems to do similar things. With the only reason that the Tazer DT is plug and play but WAAAY more expensive then the 3 things combined to program via AlfaOBD.
I have both. You can enable for more available factory settings with alfaOBD than the TazerDT can do, but the TazerDT live functions are things you can't do with alfaObd. I have also used alfaObd to make changes in friends vehicles, where as the TazerDT is "married" to my truck.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
but you can easily unmarry and marry. So, marry with your friends truck, do those changes which are not live functions, and unmarry your friends truck again.

Users who are viewing this thread