5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
DRL question for those in the know. I have a 2023 Limited which has a different Headlight than the other trim levels. The amber turn signal and the upper white accent light are the same and the lower is only white accent. I am assuming I can do two things using AlfaOBD-
1. Make the turn signal a DRL
2. Increase voltage to the accent lights to make them brighter

Is this correct for the 2023 Limiteds?
#1 yes
#2 (I have read yes but I have not tried)
Edit: can't adjust signature voltage, just other lights but most appear to already be set at or around 12.2v anyways

The bottom white accent is called "signature light" and I have mine turned off and my amber set as DRL

Sako458Lott

Reaction score
#1 yes
#2 (I have read yes but I have not tried)
Edit: can't adjust signature voltage, just other lights but most appear to already be set at or around 12.2v anyways

The bottom white accent is called "signature light" and I have mine turned off and my amber set as DRL
Thanks - hopefully I'll find time this weekend to make changes

Sasquatch0310

Reaction score
I’m trying to restore an old config file and keep getting a ‘Failed. Security access denied.’ message. Any ideas why?

AlfaOBD Version 2.2.8.0
BAFX ELM327 BT OBDII reader
TTXSPP SGW cable adapter

I’ve used the above components and AlfaOBD to change numerous settings without issue but this my first time trying to reload a previous config.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m trying to restore an old config file and keep getting a ‘Failed. Security access denied.’ message. Any ideas why?

AlfaOBD Version 2.2.8.0
BAFX ELM327 BT OBDII reader
TTXSPP SGW cable adapter

I’ve used the above components and AlfaOBD to change numerous settings without issue but this my first time trying to reload a previous config.
You get this right away after hitting start? All the other instances I’ve seen this happen, a cheaper elm327 was used.

Sasquatch0310

Reaction score
You get this right away after hitting start? All the other instances I’ve seen this happen, a cheaper elm327 was used.
Not right away, AlfaOBD chugs away for a little bit, ~60sec, and then returns that error.

What exact ELM327 would you recommend?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not right away, AlfaOBD chugs away for a little bit, ~60sec, and then returns that error.

What exact ELM327 would you recommend?
This is the normal message you should get after a successful restore. The failed because of parameter out of range is because it comes across a setting that can’t be defined, but it still successfully changes everything:
64143532-4463-46CA-9B4A-148405662053.jpeg

I wouldn’t go buying another interface for this just yet. In AlfaOBD settings, make sure debug recording is checked on. Then go to tools and delete any current debug log. Go through the restore procedure again so it fails, and send that debug log to the developer explaining that the security access denied message pops up during restore. See if he can pinpoint why it’s happening first.

combat grunt

Reaction score
Is that the sensor you replaced (driver side of hitch)? Check the rear bumper harness for any damage. Then disconnect the connector from that sensor and check all possible combinations of the three sockets on that connector to see if there’s any continuity happening. Then check those three sockets against chassis ground for any continuity.

It was today I replaced the harness and it works perfectly. Then today I installed the front bumper and I can’t use 2 sensors so now I have a code for the front lol but I know why it is. Can this be cleared so the messages goes away even though the 2 sensors are missing

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was today I replaced the harness and it works perfectly. Then today I installed the front bumper and I can’t use 2 sensors so now I have a code for the front lol but I know why it is. Can this be cleared so the messages goes away even though the 2 sensors are missing
No

mainjet

Reaction score
I cannot get my ‘23 limited 1500 to hook up to AlphaOBD. I have an active subscription, I have bypassed the gateway and I have OBDlink EX attached to bypass cable. Green light on obdlink EX. Plugged the usb into my laptop and started the AlphaOBD program. Selected my brand:RAM/ model:RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT) function: body computer ECUs: body computer: DT MY2022 Powernet
I have the key on RUN but not started
When I hit connect it goes to select Bluetooth device but does not show my cable. However if I go to blue tooth devices in my computer settings it shows OBDLink EX. Just doesn’t recognize it in AlphaOBD

What am I doing wrong?
A3816107-630F-44E7-ACD6-7E53F3B48EE2.jpeg
DFC2DD3F-5C2B-4F82-94A6-A0F50BDC22B4.jpeg
84907B9E-8C43-4B62-BE60-BEA299368664.jpeg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot get my ‘23 limited 1500 to hook up to AlphaOBD. I have an active subscription, I have bypassed the gateway and I have OBDlink EX attached to bypass cable. Green light on obdlink EX. Plugged the usb into my laptop and started the AlphaOBD program. Selected my brand:RAM/ model:RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT) function: body computer ECUs: body computer: DT MY2022 Powernet
I have the key on RUN but not started
When I hit connect it goes to select Bluetooth device but does not show my cable. However if I go to blue tooth devices in my computer settings it shows OBDLink EX. Just doesn’t recognize it in AlphaOBD

What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 153048
View attachment 153049
View attachment 153050
The EX is a little finicky when first connecting because it’s rifling through COM ports and baud rates, and the interface might time out before it finds the correct combo. First, go into advanced mode and make sure you have the EX interface selected. Then just keep trying to connect and it eventually will:
1BA7B471-4056-49A3-9080-E22C0D188A0E.png

mainjet

Reaction score
Thank you. So that worked to hook up but I wonder if I have it totally right.
Do I select device: body computer Chrysler
And do I pick what you have there for modification or should I pick RAM 1500 DT: DT my2022 PowerNet?

I chose as shown in the picture and it did hook up but in a video I watched it said hit “read system ID” but when I did, nothing came up. So I hit “read system status” and it populated. Is that correct?

Looking it over it seems to show exactly that - just the status of each item. I think what I need is the ID all systems so I can download and save that data but it’s not populating. Unless it takes a few minutes to start?
23CBBCF7-9611-4A86-892E-3EC47635BDF0.jpeg

30380E73-B321-4866-9526-3EC7BB57FEA5.jpeg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. So that worked to hook up but I wonder if I have it totally right.
Do I select device: body computer Chrysler
And do I pick what you have there for modification or should I pick RAM 1500 DT: DT my2022 PowerNet?

I chose as shown in the picture and it did hook up but in a video I watched it said hit “read system ID” but when I did, nothing came up. So I hit “read system status” and it populated. Is that correct?

Looking it over it seems to show exactly that - just the status of each item. I think what I need is the ID all systems so I can download and save that data but it’s not populating. Unless it takes a few minutes to start?
View attachment 153054

View attachment 153053
It really doesn’t matter which one you pick for modification, it’ll automatically detect once it connects. In this case, AlfaOBD can’t determine which BCM it is because he doesn’t have 2023 in the database yet. System status is the wrong one, it has to be system ID. If it can’t read the system ID, then it’s an issue with not supporting 2023 for that function yet. In the meantime while we wait for him to release an update to include 2023, send the debug log to the developer, and ask him for a custom software patch for the 2023 DT for now. He’s done this for a few of the 2023 HD Ram owners.

mainjet

Reaction score
It really doesn’t matter which one you pick for modification, it’ll automatically detect once it connects. In this case, AlfaOBD can’t determine which BCM it is because he doesn’t have 2023 in the database yet. System status is the wrong one, it has to be system ID. If it can’t read the system ID, then it’s an issue with not supporting 2023 for that function yet. In the meantime while we wait for him to release an update to include 2023, send the debug log to the developer, and ask him for a custom software patch for the 2023 DT for now. He’s done this for a few of the 2023 HD Ram owners.
Ok.I’ll try that. I just ordered

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows​

Just hopefully to make it connect a little more seamless.

Can I use the RAM 1500 DT: MY2022 Powernet

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok.I’ll try that. I just ordered

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows​

Just hopefully to make it connect a little more seamless.

Can I use the RAM 1500 DT: MY2022 Powernet
Yes

mainjet

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 thank you for the suggestion. I contacted the developer and they sent me the patch today. It now shows a “MY2023 Powernet” in the body computer list.
I haven’t connected it to the truck yet but it looks promising.

mainjet

Reaction score
Well I guess I’m just an idiot but I can’t get this alfaobd to work.

I got the patch from the developer for the 2023 and I installed that. Now the alfaobd shows the “MY2023 PowerNet”. So I feel that I got that installed correctly.
I got the bluetooth OBDlink MX+ and paired it to my laptop.

I bypassed the gateway and then attached the MX+ on. When I start the alfaobd software it seems glitchy. It opens super slow. It connects but it says it can’t verify connected control unit. It won’t run “read system ID”

3E5C4513-37F9-4ECA-8BE0-E847660A78FA.jpeg
5DFB2CB5-10A4-4D7D-8C08-87C51698DF28.jpeg
83702E1E-314D-4D8D-9604-E4AA4795C45F.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should be connecting in advanced mode and force to MY2023 PowerNet if the app/pgm is having trouble ID the BCM.

mainjet

Reaction score
Should the ignition be in the run position, engine off while trying to connect?

Users who are viewing this thread