5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

mainjet

Reaction score
Did you email the debug logs to the devs? they will provide you a link for the 2023's w/ the digital cluster
With that being said it's still not working for me even after they gave me the fix. Others have said it works though.
I have sent theat to the developers and they sent me a patch which I installed but still no luck. It says it’s connected and I see the lights indicating data transmission on the Mx+ flashing but it cannot figure out what interface it is.

mainjet

Reaction score
Have either of you tried connecting to an older MY? If you don’t need to access the digital instrument cluster, then you can try a different one.
I have done that also. I tried several different ones and always the same results.

mainjet

Reaction score
I have also uninstalled the apfaOBD software and reinstalled it. I did the same with the MX+. Now I looking at trying one of my old laptops and installing apfa on that and trying it.

mainjet

Reaction score
Does the OBDLink app connect?
There are some pictures on post #1978 that shows my connection status as “connected: device model not detected” but I do see the status lights on my MX+ flashing showing transmission.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are some pictures on post #1978 that shows my connection status as “connected: device model not detected” but I do see the status lights on my MX+ flashing showing transmission.
I can’t remember how the licensing works, but you could try the following: save whatever license key you need, and try uninstalling the app, clearing the cache on your device, and doing a full reset on the device, reinstalling the app, activating app, and seeing if it connects after that. Alternatively, you could send developers of the app an email with your device and app info, and see what they say.

mainjet

Reaction score
I can’t remember how the licensing works, but you could try the following: save whatever license key you need, and try uninstalling the app, clearing the cache on your device, and doing a full reset on the device, reinstalling the app, activating app, and seeing if it connects after that. Alternatively, you could send developers of the app an email with your device and app info, and see what they say.
Thanks for the info.

I didn’t clear the cache but I did uninstall the program and reinstall it. Uninstalled the Mx+ and reinstalled that. I updated the firmware on the Mx+ today and tried it again with no success.

I can get the system status to populate but I cant get the system ID.
I wrote to the developer with pictures and info. He has sent me one attempt at a fix but it failed. He working on it though.

I was able to connect to the software that comes with the Mx+ OBDwiz and read the system through the Mx+ through the regular OBD port on the truck without the bypass cables. So I know it can communicate but alpha just cant ID the connector.

I ordered another SGW bypass cable Just in case there is something wrong with that. It was cheap so I thought I would rule it out.

mainjet

Reaction score
So I am not very knowledgeable on electrical but I am wondering if my issue is not in the SGW bypass cable. I started thinking that I will just order a new one since they are less than $20. So I did that last night. Today I took the old one and did continuity tests on all the pins of the bypass adapter. Everything had continuity except pin 5 which appears to be Signal ground.

I have heard that the signal ground is from the ECU. So it has me wondering if the reason my software and Bluetooth Mx+ won't read the "connected device model" is due to no connection between the SGW and the MX+ because of the bypass cables.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I am not very knowledgeable on electrical but I am wondering if my issue is not in the SGW bypass cable. I started thinking that I will just order a new one since they are less than $20. So I did that last night. Today I took the old one and did continuity tests on all the pins of the bypass adapter. Everything had continuity except pin 5 which appears to be Signal ground.

I have heard that the signal ground is from the ECU. So it has me wondering if the reason my software and Bluetooth Mx+ won't read the "connected device model" is due to no connection between the SGW and the MX+ because of the bypass cables.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Have you tried using the MX+ and AlfaOBD without any dongle/SGW bypass?

You can read, you just can't write anything.

mainjet

Reaction score
Have you tried using the MX+ and AlfaOBD without any dongle/SGW bypass?

You can read, you just can't write anything.
I did that with another program OBDwiz that came with the MX+. It read the system. Also, I can read the status of the systems through alfaObD but I can’t get the system to ID.
I’m getting another SG bypass cable tomorrow. I feel like that might work.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did that with another program OBDwiz that came with the MX+. It read the system. Also, I can read the status of the systems through alfaObD but I can’t get the system to ID.
I’m getting another SG bypass cable tomorrow. I feel like that might work.
Pins 4 & 5 are just straight up chassis ground, nothing to do with any modules. The OBD interface only needs one of those two pins.

You don’t need a bypass in place to read the system ID, so you can easily rule out the bypass by not even using it.
What about anything else? Is it only the system ID that can’t be read? Can you go into active diagnostics and create a backup file successfully? That’s more important than reading the system ID anyway.

mainjet

Reaction score
Pins 4 & 5 are just straight up chassis ground, nothing to do with any modules. The OBD interface only needs one of those two pins.

You don’t need a bypass in place to read the system ID, so you can easily rule out the bypass by not even using it.
What about anything else? Is it only the system ID that can’t be read? Can you go into active diagnostics and create a backup file successfully? That’s more important than reading the system ID anyway.
Well that bursts my bubble a little😁
I was hoping I could fix it with a different cable.
Making a backup was what I was trying to do before I made any changes.
I went out and tried to do a backup and it said it did it successfully and gave me a path to the file.
It will read system status but it will not read system ID. The instrument panel lights come on when it’s trying so I know it’s working on it but then I get the same messages
35DFBE3E-DF07-4AE9-8FAE-601E5C94054D.jpeg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well that bursts my bubble a little😁
I was hoping I could fix it with a different cable.
Making a backup was what I was trying to do before I made any changes.
I went out and tried to do a backup and it said it did it successfully and gave me a path to the file.
It will read system status but it will not read system ID. The instrument panel lights come on when it’s trying so I know it’s working on it but then I get the same messages
View attachment 154620
Ok, if you have the backup file, you can go ahead and try making whatever car configuration changes you were going to try. The backup file is more important than reading your system ID, and it’s your quick restore point.

smashweights

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can customize the thresholds for the climate system when remote starting? The seat heat/heated wheel only warm when it's < 40°F and I typically like using them when it's under 50°F. Can that be adjusted?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can customize the thresholds for the climate system when remote starting? The seat heat/heated wheel only warm when it's < 40°F and I typically like using them when it's under 50°F. Can that be adjusted?
No

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Actually, yes. If you connect to the heated seat module, there is a setting in there for changing that threshold.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Actually, yes. If you connect to the heated seat module, there is a setting in there for changing that threshold.
Really? That's great. This has been asked many times before with the answer being no.

mainjet

Reaction score
FINALLY she hooked up. Alexey hung with me and was very responsive sending new versions. 3 in all and the third one was a charm. Everything worked!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Kevinn

Reaction score
FINALLY she hooked up. Alexey hung with me and was very responsive sending new versions. 3 in all and the third one was a charm. Everything worked!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
who is alexey? because my **** still wont work ;)

Users who are viewing this thread