5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s right
To the left of the ODB port and a little bit up in the dash are the 2 connectors you need to unplug and plug into the bypass. It isn't too hard to find. I can pull them out without having to look at them now. Just reach up under and pull them out.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s right
It's not. You don't need to remove any parts.

The circle is the security gateway you will bypass.

ab0e8af94b30c2ab4072f1b5f43f00ea.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how to connect this bypass cable to my ‘23 1500.
I have this bypass cable:
View attachment 152333
I have this OBD cable:
View attachment 152334
But when I look under the dash I don’t see anything much that looks like it fits the red cable female ends.

here are some pictures of the blocks and the OBD connector:
View attachment 152335 View attachment 152336 View attachment 152337

You're looking at the wrong ports. This is what you're looking for.

20221229_185937.jpg

Kevinn

Reaction score
Are you sure?
you have the correct bypass cables. It's the exact set I have and they fit fine.
i think what HSKR is referring to is maybe your third pic? shows green connectors, and yea thats not the security gateway module. Its the black box just next to those green connectors

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how to connect this bypass cable to my ‘23 1500.
I have this bypass cable:

I have this OBD cable:

But when I look under the dash I don’t see anything much that looks like it fits the red cable female ends.

here are some pictures of the blocks and the OBD connector:
1676869463576.png

The CAN blocks pictured only factor if using a different type bypasss cable TYPICALLY used on the heavy duty trucks.

The pics of the SGM shown in post #1906 are what you're looking for.

The HD SGM is not as accessible and is located behind the instrument cluster, hence the confusion for some. Since it's such a PITA to get to, we use a different bypass cable that plugs into the CAN bus blocks. ETA: Said cable can also be used on the 1500 if desired.

Last edited:

mainjet

Reaction score
View attachment 152355

The CAN blocks pictured only factor if using a different type bypasss cable on the heavy duty trucks.

The pics of the SGM shown in post #1906 are what you're looking for.

The HD SGM is not as accessible and is located behind the instrument cluster, hence the confusion for some. Since it's such a PITA to get to, we use a different bypass cable that plugs into the CAN bus blocks.
Thanks for the explanation. I had seen the green blocks circled in another post so I thought that’s where they were but it didn’t look right. But I knew I had seen the other correct cable being plug in somewhere before also. Searching on here for a common question sometimes is pretty hard to find what you’re looking for.

But I got some good answers and good pictures now and I don’t think I’ll have any trouble when I go back to try again.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can tell from the connectors. Even zooming in, doesn't give a good look. Guess, he'll find out did sure when he tries it.
Knowing how small the actual SGW connectors are, it's not difficult.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, before we have a full blown Abbott & Costello routine going on about bypasses, I’ll show the different types of bypasses that can be used, and how they’re used.

There are three basic types that can be used, and they all work between the 1500’s and heavy duty rams. Because of the location of the security gateway module on the HD Rams being behind the instrument cluster, Type 3 below is the easiest and most commonly used on those trucks.

Type 1) This one plugs into the two security gateway module connectors, and CREATES A NEW BYPASSED OBD port that the interface plugs into:
677188F1-EAE7-446A-91D8-234B874FC516.jpeg
Below, you can see the security gateway module with its connectors plugged in like normal. Then a pic of those connectors disconnected from the gateway, and plugged into the red bypass:
5254C6FA-AA69-4389-9F7B-74976D7B3E35.jpeg

B2C1030E-D9C3-47A8-8EA4-B721EC7D58A2.jpeg

Type 2) This would be the bypass “block”, such as the ECRI, infotainment, Z automotive, etc. The tazer would also fall under this type of bypass. Same concept as type 1, except once you plug the security gateway connectors into it, you will plug the interface into the original OBD port:

270BBD33-029C-4E14-8877-A37B7FFEFF93.jpeg

Type 3) This is a bypass that doesn’t use the security gateway module connectors at all, but rather, plugs into the OBD port, and it’s pigtail has two connectors that plug directly into the canbus blocks, effectively bypassing the security gateway. The interface will plug into the OBD port on the end bypass cable:
D2893CAD-3518-4E55-89BA-33D31B359E9C.jpeg
49159EE0-F393-4A07-B9C5-233202307685.jpeg

ALL of these are effective gateway bypasses, and NONE of them are OBD splitters.

mainjet

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't like to come on here and ask questions and then turn around and act like I know everything. But having said that, I believe I have the correct cable from my research. this is the one that I bought:

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I'm usually not but as we all know, there is a first time for everything 😜

Users who are viewing this thread