5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

frisby5

Reaction score
Yeah, I think this only works for the larger displays.
Ok , yeah it didnt change anything . I might look in a junkyard for a wrecked upper trim Ram 19-22 and swap the display.

Conundrum

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help! I just got AlfaOBD and everything to connect it to my truck. The build sheet for my truck said, "Tailgate AJAR Lamp," but it did not work. I connected everything to the laptop and it said:

CBC Config IO F Pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: NO
Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: YES

I changed the "CBC Config IO F Pin 26 Connector F Pin 26" to "YES."

Everything works now!

One thing I did notice today after I got to work, I went to lock the truck and the marker lights did not blink. The only other thing I changed was the fog light dropout. :unsure:

DusterJoe

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to buy everything needed for AlfaOBD. Can't decide on Android or WindowsPC for the license. I have an old Windows PC I can use. I don't have an Android device but could likely find an old tablet somewhere for cheap.

Is there any specification for an Android device to use?

Thanks,

DusterJoe

TheLegend

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to buy everything needed for AlfaOBD. Can't decide on Android or WindowsPC for the license. I have an old Windows PC I can use. I don't have an Android device but could likely find an old tablet somewhere for cheap.

Thanks,

DusterJoe
I think pretty much any Android device would work from what I understand as long as it has Google Play Store. I bought a SM-T800 and it works perfect for all I need to do and was only $50 or so from eBay it’s great I actually ended up using it for a lot other stuff as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks,

DusterJoe
You can pick up a cheap Android tablet off Amazon that will do everything you want. I got one to use at car shows for a slideshow of pictures of my truck for $60 last year.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
You can pick up a cheap Android tablet off Amazon that will do everything you want. I got one to use at car shows for a slideshow of pictures of my truck for $60 last year.
I'm ready to go the AlfaOBD route. I think I'd prefer to use my laptop rather than my phone. I think I would prefer a cable connection to a bluetooth one. Are there particular advantages anyone can tell me to one or the other? OBDLink has a cable to buy, but it specifically mentions Forscan. Does anyone know if it would work as well for Alfa, or won't it allow connections to both of the pathways that a Ram requires? Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm ready to go the AlfaOBD route. I think I'd prefer to use my laptop rather than my phone. I think I would prefer a cable connection to a bluetooth one. Are there particular advantages anyone can tell me to one or the other? OBDLink has a cable to buy, but it specifically mentions Forscan. Does anyone know if it would work as well for Alfa, or won't it allow connections to both of the pathways that a Ram requires? Thanks
I have only used the app with my phone. Fairly easy to navigate. Not sure on PC version. I feel there are more posts from people trying to figure out the PC version and getting connection than the android version

Plus for using app and Android device. You can connect anywhere at any time as long as the OBD2 adapter is plugged in.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have both versions, and I prefer the windows version because it’s just easier and quicker for me to use. For a usb connected OBD interface, you would want the OBDLink EX.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I have only used the app with my phone. Fairly easy to navigate. Not sure on PC version. I feel there are more posts from people trying to figure out the PC version and getting connection than the android version

Plus for using app and Android device. You can connect anywhere at any time as long as the OBD2 adapter is plugged in.
Appreciate the thoughts. Thanks

mainjet

Reaction score
I use the windows version on my laptop with a bluetooth MX+. Everything works great now but I was initially having issues connecting my 2023. Once the software developer helped me get that worked out with a custom patch, it works great.

I also have the OBDlink EX cable for my wife's Ford Edge. I could not get that to work but that was when nothing was working. So I believe that to be the software issue at the time. I probably should take that cable and try it now that everything is working properly just so I know if it works or not.

@Jimmy07 advice is always spot on. So if you suggests it then I would trust what he says.

Also, don't forget the SGW bypass cable. About $18 on amazon

like this:

Last edited:

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I use the windows version on my laptop with a bluetooth MX+. Everything works great now but I initially having issues connecting my 2023. Once that got worked out, it works great.

I also have the OBDlink EX for my wifes Ford Edge. I could not get that to work but that was when nothing was working So I believe that to be the software at the time. I probably should take that cable and try it now that everything is working properly just so I know if it works or not.

@Jimmy07 advise is always spot on. So if you suggests it then I would trust what he says.

like this:
Sounds good, thanks.

seansmd

Reaction score
I use the windows version on my laptop with a bluetooth MX+. Everything works great now but I was initially having issues connecting my 2023. Once the software developer helped me get that worked out with a custom patch, it works great.

I also have the OBDlink EX cable for my wife's Ford Edge. I could not get that to work but that was when nothing was working. So I believe that to be the software issue at the time. I probably should take that cable and try it now that everything is working properly just so I know if it works or not.

@Jimmy07 advice is always spot on. So if you suggests it then I would trust what he says.

like this:
Is the red and black bypass compatable with 2023 RAM 1500? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PTBZ6K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&affid=5thgenrams-20

Last edited:

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, and I would bet my answer is in one of these 102 pages, but does it do any harm to leave the SGW bypass cable plugged in permanently? Or should I install and uninstall it each time I'm done using AlfaOBD? Thanks,

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, and I would bet my answer is in one of these 102 pages, but does it do any harm to leave the SGW bypass cable plugged in permanently? Or should I install and uninstall it each time I'm done using AlfaOBD? Thanks,
It does not do any harm to leave it plugged in permanently, but don't forget to unplug it if you bring the truck to the dealer for any reason.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like some input on how to do this:
when low tire pressure warning comes up - I would like to set this to 25 or somehing - my offroad pressure
when the truck honks when airing back up - I would like to set this to 40 all around, can always adjust accordingly when I do chalk test.

I know for the first one it's possibly the "max load tire pressure" setting, but what about the second? Or there's no way to separate the two?

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does not do any harm to leave it plugged in permanently, but don't forget to unplug it if you bring the truck to the dealer for any reason.
Do you just unplug it when you’re done or do you have to go through a process so it doesn’t cause an error?

Also, when you take it to the dealer, do you reload your original backed up file to reset the truck and then just reinstall your latest file configuration to return all settings back at the same time when you get home? Or do you have to go back in and change them all back one at a time again?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you just unplug it when you’re done or do you have to go through a process so it doesn’t cause an error?

Also, when you take it to the dealer, do you reload your original backed up file to reset the truck and then just reinstall your latest file configuration to return all settings back at the same time when you get home? Or do you have to go back in and change them all back one at a time again?
No need to reload original back up file. The dealer won't even know you changed anything unless they are specifically looking for it.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are we talking about just the bypass cable? I wouldn't mind leaving the cable plugged in, but I noticed the BT OBDII Reader powered up right away as soon as I plugged it in with the vehicle OFF. That would drain the battery correct? Reason I'm asking is because it was a pain to unplug the bypass cable. It was very tight.

Users who are viewing this thread