5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

TimmyG

Reaction score
If you have this TSB performed please reply with your results. I know most of the country isn't warm right now, but the south should be able to chime in :sneaky:.

Good to see FCA doing something about this. It will definitely be the deciding factor whether I seriously consider a Ram or not.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have this TSB performed please reply with your results. I know most of the country isn't warm right now, but the south should be able to chime in :sneaky:.

Good to see FCA doing something about this. It will definitely be the deciding factor whether I seriously consider a Ram or not.

Please do! I'm curious if it helps with the fan motor going all out with heat on and a cold engine.. just blowing cold air at your feet.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have already contacted my Service advisor about the two recalls and the TSB . I will update once it is done. It is still cold here but Ill note any difference in the performance I see in cold or hot weather.

In Dallas right now its starting out at 30 degrees and topping out at 70-80

DeanKing

Reaction score
Please do! I'm curious if it helps with the fan motor going all out with heat on and a cold engine.. just blowing cold air at your feet.
I just thought that was the dumbest intentional design I ever saw in automatic HVAC. I never even thought that might be a fixable defect. I guess I should complain about that and see what happens. My other favorite screwup of this system is how the recirculate likes to switch off on its on. Given all the problems on this thread I figured I should just be thankful my AC was cold.

Flot

Reaction score
Unfortunately that TSB gives no details about what is going on other than a software update for the HVAC module.

I'll get this done soon, we're back in the 80s here in South Florida. Unfortunately the A/C experience is so subjective it'll be hard to tell if it makes a real difference.

But again I have noticed the difference when switching vehicles - after a 3 hour road trip a few weeks ago, I swapped cars and finished the trip driving a 2013 Honda - and the first thing I noticed was how cold the A/C was.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Unfortunately that TSB gives no details about what is going on other than a software update for the HVAC module.

I'll get this done soon, we're back in the 80s here in South Florida. Unfortunately the A/C experience is so subjective it'll be hard to tell if it makes a real difference.

But again I have noticed the difference when switching vehicles - after a 3 hour road trip a few weeks ago, I swapped cars and finished the trip driving a 2013 Honda - and the first thing I noticed was how cold the A/C was.

If you stick an instant read thermometer in the vent with the cool on max, this is the most unambiguous way to see if the cool air is cool. My other cars put out air in the upper 30s within 10 seconds. The truck can only get to the upper 40s after many minutes and mostly 50s air temp. YMMV, but it is an instant check for a fix for me.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Software updates are all these cars need anymore. I could tell it was software related because the way it acts is just bad handling of situations. I could feel it get colder and then cut off.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Software updates are all these cars need anymore. I could tell it was software related because the way it acts is just bad handling of situations. I could feel it get colder and then cut off.

I agree with you. I'm confident the reprogramming will fix the lions share of the issue.

Douglas31

Reaction score
I took mine in today and provided the tsb so they checked it and said mine already has the latest software. It is a July build so I don’t know how “new” this update actually is. I was hoping to at least cross this issue off my list.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took mine in today and provided the tsb so they checked it and said mine already has the latest software. It is a July build so I don’t know how “new” this update actually is. I was hoping to at least cross this issue off my list.

The TSB is through trucks build on/after September 20th - very slim chance you have the new update unless you were at a dealer recently and they updated it during a service visit.

Douglas31

Reaction score
The TSB is through trucks build on/after September 20th - very slim chance you have the new update unless you were at a dealer recently and they updated it during a service visit.
Agreed. I am not aware of an update being done on the hvac previously.

Ddelallata

Reaction score
Mine is currently at the dealer for this and a few other recalls and TSBs. I’ll update you all when I get it back.

silverbullet

Reaction score
I have an appointment tomorrow. I added this to the list. I'll update with anything relevant...

RBRK

Reaction score
I don't think this is for the 12" screen models, can anyone confirm? Mine has 12" built before Sept and it doesn't apply.

Last edited:

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think this is for the 12" screen models, can anyone confirm? Mine has 12" built before Sept and it doesn't apply.

Took mine in yesterday for this TSB (and camera module replacement) and they said it didn't apply to my truck. I would like some clarification on this.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Has anyone had the AC TSB done and can report improved AC output temp data on a warm day?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread